What's new

Aizu (会津)

Jayves

Speeding Up
Nov 20, 2009
I'm thinking of couple of days riding in Aizu when the autumn leaves is at their best. Any good route recommendation?

If you really want to go for it, you can head north of Lake Inawashiro and then ride over the Bandai Azuma skyline (200yen even for cyclists) to Fukushima city. You head north from Inawashiro on route 115, and then pick up the skyline. It goes up to around 1600m at the highest point, and is not open all year round. If it is shut, you can still get to Fukushima city by taking route 115 down, which is actually a nice road.

Basically that whole area around Ura Bandai is really great. Aizu itself is a nice little town - a couple of nice restaurants and bars when I was last there.

In summer I went up to Oo-uchijuku. It's really beautiful.

Yup, will definitely visiting this place.

If you really want to go for it, you can head north of Lake Inawashiro and then ride over the Bandai Azuma skyline (200yen even for cyclists) to Fukushima city. You head north from Inawashiro on route 115, and then pick up the skyline. It goes up to around 1600m at the highest point, and is not open all year round. If it is shut, you can still get to Fukushima city by taking route 115 down, which is actually a nice road.

Basically that whole area around Ura Bandai is really great. Aizu itself is a nice little town - a couple of nice restaurants and bars when I was last there.

Thanks for the info. Seems like a nice spot around Ura Bandai. Will definitely put on the visit list.

For this trip, I will be spending more time in South Aizu. The plan is to go north to Aizu Wakamatsu from Nikko and then turn west to Oumuna, Nigata before coming back to Tokyo.

Wow! Looks like you guys had a great adventure!!!

Thanks for the info.

Jayves, looks very beautiful. I will put that area on my destination wish list. Two questions, how did you go there and where did you stay overnight?

Jayves, looks very beautiful. I will put that area on my destination wish list. Two questions, how did you go there and where did you stay overnight?

My original plan way to go there using my touring bike for a four day camping trip but the weather and new commitments screwed up the plan (became a two days trip) so I ended up going there by car and slept on the car. I parked at Michi no Eki. Hot spring (500yen) is all over the place and there is also one inside the Michi no Eki.

This was my original route, average about 180km/day and one long trip on last day.
http://ridewithgps.com/routes/1797819

However, train is accessible if you want to shorten for a couple of days.
1. Take Tobu line from Asakusa (浅草) to Aizutajima (会津田島駅). Ride is a little bit more than 3 hours and there are few express trains. You can arrive between 9-10am if you take the first train from Asakusa.
2. From Uonuma (Nigata), take the Joetsu/Shinkansen combi back to Tokyo. Ride is around two hours.

Didn't research for accomodation but there is a few youth hostels in the area. If you know the language, it should be easy to find a cheap place in advance.

Back
Top Bottom