What's new

Air compressor

leicaman

Maximum Pace
Sep 20, 2012
Hi all
I'm looking at buying an air compressor for both my bike and general cleaning duties around the house. I don't really know much about them so was wondering if anyone had one and could give some advice as to what to get. Bike wise, I'd like to use it after cleaning the bike, to both dry it and get rid of any crap I missed in the clean. The two I'm looking at are

Amazon product ASIN B00F35V4R0
And

Amazon product ASIN
Thanks in advance for any advice.

Uh.., how would that be useful for cleaning around the house?

(instead of a leaf-blower around the outside of a house?)

Step 1; don't use water to clean your bike.

Step 2; don't buy an air compressor for the job that doesn't exist.

Or;

Step 1; use water to clean your bike, getting water in the bearings.

Step 2; use air compressor to mix and blow out the newly made water / grease mix, thus removing grease from the bearings.

Step 3; have to buy new bearings on top of the cost of the air compressor.

Etc.

:)

@jdd cleaning air filters in the air con units, in the air filter/humidifier, in all the filters in the walls, the insect screens on the windows and doors, the filters in my computer and the heat sink from time to time. I also have a very old wrought iron sewing machine table that was converted into a computer desk. It's a b1tch to clean so a blast of high pressure air should do the trick. Oh, and I'm sure it will come in handy for getting out the grit and grime from those hard to reach nooks and crannies in my car, too.

Last edited:
I have an air compressor similar to the one(s) you are looking at, and all it really is good for in terms of bikes is filling the tires quickly (with a special nozzle of course--I use the Park nozzle/pressure gauge combo). Otherwise, it is a rather large piece of equipment to lug around to clean nooks and crannies in the house or car. Unless you use this for painting (air brush, etc.) which I do, I am guessing this is not a necessary investment for you. It typically won't do all the high pressure tasks many people think of unless the motor is very high powered.

@timefleas i don't need one to do high pressure tasks (not sure what would come under this heading to be honest) but I thought an air compressor would at least fill the boots of those compressed air canisters that I buy from Bic camera to clean different filters with.
I'm guessing a compressor would be at least equal to, or hopefully better than those cans.

@timefleas i don't need one to do high pressure tasks (not sure what wore OKuld come under this heading to be honest) but I thought an air compressor would at least fill the boots of those compressed air canisters that I buy from Bic camera to clean different filters with.
I'm guessing a compressor would be at least equal to, or hopefully better than those cans.
No problem then--I suggest you get a slightly smaller model, though, if that is really all you need--I had a huge one that could be used to paint houses with, but got rid of that in favor of a much more modest model (smaller, but very efficient) that cost about Y12,000 at my local hardware store (Nishimura)--Y14,000 on Amazon JP--easier to carry around, and does everything you have suggested--and you could still paint that house with it if you wanted.

Air compressor.jpg

I clean my filters with a Dyson, not a blower. (What a mess that would make, distributing the dust into the space available.) Whatever. Don't let us dissuade you from shopping. Just don't call it a cycling accessory.

However, I suspect that in a year your compressor will have accumulated so much dust that you want another compressor to clean it with.

I picked one up for the lodge last week. cost about 13,000 with tyre gauge and needle blower. I was sick of wasting CO2 canisters on my MTB tubeless tyres and this works a treat for those types of jobs. However, because of small cylinder on the home-use models, simply inflating a bike tyre will severely reduce the pressure, so quick short jobs are good. Works a treat and already paid for itself in time and CO2 canisters.

@leicaman ...lens filters? If so, I'd make sure such a compressor would be pumping very clean air, so as not to be etching what I wanted to clean.

@Adam Cobain I used to race downhill mountain biking. Trying to get those tubeless tyres' beads to sest on the rim with a track pump was almost impossible. Luckily,there was always someone closeby in the carpark with a compressor.

@jdd silly man ;). No, not for lenses. Air filters for the air con, toilets, and what the Japanese call a plasma cluster. I also have a roomba that need to be cleaned regularly. A quick blast of air would be great for that. Oh, and the coffee grinder would be easy to clean too with a blast of air.

I like the look of the one @timefleas said, but I might go for a slightly bigger tank. @Adam Cobain how big is the tank on yours?

Back
Top Bottom