What's new

Aero helmets in Japanese summer?

OneForTheRoad

Maximum Pace
Jan 3, 2021
I'm considering buying a new helmet, and I quite like the design of the new Met Manta.
All the reviews claim that it has a very good airflow and etc, but the tests normally happen in Europe or North America.

As I'm planning to use it all year long, I'm concerned that it's going to boil my head in the peak of our humid summer.

Would be great to "hear" the experience of people who wear similar helmets in Japan.

Cheers!

And on the aero helmet. Some of the newer aero helmets have rather good ventilation from what I hear. Once it is time to replace my terrific POC Octal, I'd probably go for POC's more aero helmet. But I'd avoid something like a TT-specific aero helmet.

I'm considering buying a new helmet, and I quite like the design of the new Met Manta.
All the reviews claim that it has a very good airflow and etc, but the tests normally happen in Europe or North America.

As I'm planning to use it all year long, I'm concerned that it's going to boil my head in the peak of our humid summer.

Would be great to "hear" the experience of people who wear similar helmets in Japan.

Cheers!

I have a MET MANTA and for me, it's too hot to use from around June time. Though I know a guy who uses it in the summer too.

But yeah way too hot for me in summer.

Andy

Last edited:
I have a MET MANTA and for me, it's too hot to use from around June time. Though I know a guy who uses it in the summer too.

But yeah way too hot for me in summer.

Andy
Aero helmets are great for two things: road racing and winter!
If you want to do a TT, you really need a TT helmet. Thankfully, I managed to picked up a $400 POC TT lid for $200 on Wiggle. I also have an extra JCF sticker from my MTB helmet if I ever get to do a JCF TT or need to replace my road helmet without paying 200% for the same helmet with a sticker.

Aero helmets are great for two things: road racing and winter!
If you want to do a TT, you really need a TT helmet. Thankfully, I managed to picked up a $400 POC TT lid for $200 on Wiggle. I also have an extra JCF sticker from my MTB helmet if I ever get to do a JCF TT or need to replace my road helmet without paying 200% for the same helmet with a sticker.
Sorry for the silly question, but what is the thing about the sticker?
For example, in case of triathlons, I know that to participate in most of them you need to be member of JTU, but there is no sticker to prove that.

About your POC aero helmet, I hope it's not this one 😜
EwDAVamWEAE8UKy.jpeg

Sorry for the silly question, but what is the thing about the sticker?
For example, in case of triathlons, I know that to participate in most of them you need to be member of JTU, but there is no sticker to prove that.
At least in road races they check whether the sticker is present.
If you buy online, you won't get the sticker and at least POC's distributor wasn't helpful — they just said not our problem.
About your POC aero helmet, I hope it's not this one 😜
View attachment 33930
No, no. First of all, I don't wanna look … like that while cycling. Lycra is enough, thank you very much ;) I was thinking of the Ventral (Spin), which was billed as the aero alternative to the Octal. But it seems, it has just replaced the Octal now. My Octal and my Octal X (its offroad brother) are super well ventilated. The fit is second-to-none (for my head anyways) and both are super light. The Octal X has more protection around the back of the head and is heavier than the Octal. But that's material well-invested.

I'm already 40 and only started riding seriously 2 years ago. I don't think I will ever need a JCF sticker.

And I do like the POC helmets (except that aberration I posted above). But around me there are so many people who have them already, specially after the POC + Rapha collaboration.

If you are not racing, I can only recommend POC's regular helmets. I bought them on Wiggle far below MSRP (about ¥15,000 if memory serves). I love them. They tick all your boxes and have lots of colorful options apart from black and white, too, which is another thing I appreciate.

I have an aero helmet without many vents, and frankly rarely wear it due to the heat issue - even in winter - despite that I noticed pro sprinters wearing it in Europe summer. So considering Andy's comments it perhaps really depends on the person?

For me the biggest issue in summer is keeping the sun off my balding head… so actually would love to be able to wear an aero helmet in the summer months.

I have an aero helmet without many vents, and frankly rarely wear it due to the heat issue - even in winter - despite that I noticed pro sprinters wearing it in Europe summer. So considering Andy's comments it perhaps really depends on the person?

For me the biggest issue in summer is keeping the sun off my balding head… so actually would love to be able to wear an aero helmet in the summer months.
Any helmet will be cool if you're going 50 km/h.

If you do a TT in summer with a TT helmet, the first thing you'll do when you cross the line is rip your helmet off!

Andy
That's true, but in my case its partially because it's a hair too small and makes my head hurt after about 20 minutes.

Back
Top Bottom