advices to a newcomer

Mar 17, 2008
tokyo arakawa ku
hi everyone!
Sorry for my poor (disastrous!)english (my japanese is better:))
I've just receive my road bike from my country (by postal)
and i've done some drive but it seems that was little bit dangerous .
for example, I went to Narita san from Arakawa ku. I've take the 14 and the 296 national road and i'felt insecure.
I've retry by night (1hoo am) but I was surprising because there is many cars especially cab and they run faster than by day.

do you know any safer roads to go from Tokyo to Chiba?

near my place, there is the Arakawa Cycling Road, its pretty good but i just can go "vertically" to the north or to the south (kasai...)but to go from the west to the east I've didn't find safe road.

I've experience of cycling in my country but i feel like a kid here because I don't know the good road ,I suppose.

last week,I've bought a bike bag, (y's road ueno)it'very convenient for carry my bike in the train.
in the end of june,i will be in holiday,so i looking for a good place for a run .
Perhaps, Izu.

I'm waiting for your advices.

Thanks a lot.

Jan 14, 2007
Noda
japanichiban.com
To get to Narita by cycling paths..... take the Edo river to Tone Unga (canal cycling path that connects Edo & Tone rivers)....Tone Unga to Abiko. Abiko to Tone river...Tone river path to Narita.
Very easy and very safe.

Phil

Maximum Pace
As Edogawakikkoman says, the Tone River is your friend for going to Narita. There are lots of good roads in Chiba, but there are also a few horrible ones that should be avoided...truck arteries connecting the wharves of Kashima/Choshi, the airport, Chiba docks, and Tokyo. Unfortunately, you found two of the worst...

Roads to avoid include the 296 and 51 (except within Chiba City, where the latter is okay), and the 409. The area where these three roads meet is fairly grim traffic-wise, so you're best circling it north or south. The 356 alongside the Tone is the worse cycling road I have personally seen in Japan, but as you have the river path running alongside, there's no reason to ride it :) 408 north of Narita is so-so, a necessary evil sometimes, as are the 126 and 20.

Two more options to get out of the city east:

1) Duck down off the 14 at Funabashi (go past LaLa Port) to the 15. You can use the road here, which although somwhat busy has a great big shoulder and is popular with roadies, or you can take the bike path which runs alongside. This avoids the 14/357 "adventure".

2) Head inland a bit and eventually hook up to the 新川, which curls down from the Tone River to Makuhari. You can follow the bike paths on this route to 印旛沼 (a pair of squarish-looking lakes on the map). From here you can get into Narita from behind. (See imai-san's ride from last weekend which shows part of the route: https://tokyocycle.com/bbs/showthread.php?t=777)

Anyway, I hope this helps. Let me know if you ever want to hook up for a ridel; I'd be glad to show you some of the quieter routes out this way.

Mar 17, 2008
tokyo arakawa ku
Thank you guys, I got it!

thank you for respond to me very quickly!
After your replies, I checked in a map and understood the path.
I ve realized the potential of runs in kantou!

Today is my day off.
so,inflate the tyres, wear my cycling clothes and go for a run but the weather became bad, I give up... Tomorow, i'll work from 6 (evening), so I'll retry;)

See you soon on the forum or on the road!
As, i said before, i'll be in holiday from june 23 to 28.
If, you have a plan for a ride, I'd be glad to ride with you .

Yellow ag2r (Jerome)

Mar 17, 2008
tokyo arakawa ku
I got it!

thank you for respond to me very quickly!
After your replies, I checked in a map and understood the path.
I ve realized the potential of runs in kantou!

Today is my day off.
so,inflate the tyres, wear my cycling clothes and go for a run but the weather became bad, I give up... Tomorow, i'll work from 6 (evening), so I'll retry;)

See you soon on the forum or on the road!
As, i said before, i'll be in holiday from june 23 to 28.
If, you have a plan for a ride, I'd be glad to ride with you .

Yellow ag2r (Jerome)