What's new

Advice requested...

Pippa

Warming-Up
Nov 9, 2013
Hi, sorry to gate-crash your forum. I'm a visiting cyclist spent last three weeks pedalling over Japan.
I am after two bits of advice,
First: is it easy/possible to obtain a free cardboard box from any Tokyo bike shops to transport the bike back home on plane? If so, can any one recommend any shops? I'm heading to Tokyo 13th and leaving next day (staying near Asakusa train station).

Also, as final pedal-want to head to 5th station on Fuji-is it true the south is best regards view/highest ? Are roads all still open? (I've full gear so can descend in cold but not keen if icy). Plus I also read anti-clockwise also ideal to travel around base?-I'm heading from Fujinomiya station to Kawaguchiko station area).

Any advice greatly appreciated...... Thanks
Looking to head to Fuji area tomorrow and climb to 5th Tuesday.
Pippa

Hi Pippa, I can't give an advice for your first question, but I'll try to do for the second.

You are correct that the south side (Fuji Skyline) goes to the highest with 2,400m elevation and also has generally the best view. If the sky is crystal clear you might even be able to see the Pacific Ocean. (If you intend to climb thru the night to watch the sunrise from the 5th station, Azami Line on the east side would be the best)

Usually the roads to the 5th station will be closed from mid-late November until early May, so this week may be the last chance. However, according to the forecast the temperature will be dropping in the next few days, so no guarantee here. Even if it is not closed, you might need to be very cautious.

...is it easy/possible to obtain a free cardboard box from any Tokyo bike shops to transport the bike back home on plane? If so, can any one recommend any shops? I'm heading to Tokyo 13th and leaving next day (staying near Asakusa train station).

YMMV, but I have been to the Giant store in Futakotamagawa for a old cardboard bike box, and it was no hassle. I wasn't impressed with their service when they told me a should get a bike much too small for me because they didn't have one in my size at the time, and when they laughed at me because I said I was interested in a model they didn't have/know about, but for the bike box, I give them two thumbs up.

I've had a couple of boxes from Tokyo bike shops, no problem. If the first one doesn't have one try another.

As for Fuji, I've only ever been past it via route 71 from Fujinomiya to Kawaguchiko. That was last January. Some nice views from that route, can't speak for the others though.

There are three major roads up to 5th stages.

The highest of the 5th stages is the one on top of Fuji Subaru line on the north side, which you can reach from Fujiyoshida. The grade of the road is
mostly below 5%, vs. around 10% at Fuji Azami line on the east side near Gotemba and 8% average on the road leading to the Fujinomiya trail on the south.

Yesterday I was at Kawaguchiko which offers great views of Fuji. The mountain seems to have a lot of snow on it already. Not sure if it already covers the 5th stages. If it doesn't already then it will be close.

Any of the big bike shops will have cardboard boxes, depending on what day is cardboard recycling in the area will determine how many.

These shops always seem to have a lot of bikes = a lot of boxes. I got one from my local last year no hassles.

http://www.cb-asahi.co.jp

Back
Top Bottom