What's new

Advice on tiny Kids Bikes

wexford

Maximum Pace
Jul 3, 2012
My son is 3 and a half now. He's a climber or a jockey it seems because there is nothing to him. Just 13kg and 93cm. He has been on a balance bike since last xmas and now with xmas approaching again, he is writing to santa for a pedal bike.

Been looking around a bit and there seems to be feck all out there to suit the light weight that he is. Most bikes seem to weigh in at around 13kg or a there abouts. Don't know about you, but I can't imagine riding something almost 100% of my body weight. Imagine that falling on you as you learn to ride. BridgeStone have a 16"er that is 7.9kg which is not bad but he won't fit that for a while.

Found a pretty awesome little bike in the US called the Woom 2 which is just under 6kg but they don't seem to ship here. Bit expensive also but I guess its the same formula as big boy bikes regarding weight. Need to look around a bit more.

Also found a rather rad 14" BMX that apparently suits 3-7 year olds. http://www.deliriumdistribution.com/plug14 . Check that bad boy out. He's too short (by 2cm) still but wondering if I should go for something like that and put him on a stretch rack. I loved bikes I could jump around on when I was young and he gravitates towards curbs and bumps on his balance bike. Maybe not a good purchase for a first bike for the kid though?? I'm having trouble considering a heavier bike with training wheels though after all the freedom he has had on his balance bike although he is pretty good on the 12" bikes with trainer wheels in Komazawa park. I've another little gangster currently at 1 year old so anything we buy won't go to waste anyway and should see good use. Be kind of sad though if it turned out the kid couldn't ride his xmas present for another 2 months or so though wouldn't it. hmmm. I guess I want the BMX for me also. Gosh.

Just wondering what other folks did living here in Japan and how that worked out?

Just ordered a new one for my lad off Wiggle. They've got a fairly decent selection. Merlin had a decent selection, too, but are pricier.

My advice would be to get something like this on Yahoo Auction.

https://page.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/w192162468

Probably the next step up from a balance bike.

BTW, if he has mastered the balance bike, there is no need for training wheels. One session on a grass field and he'll master something like this.

My experience is that they get through the first couple of bikes really quickly.

Probably one a year through ages 4 and 5.

However, the prices don't deteriorate so you'll be able to put a bike like the above back on Yahoo for the same price.

Sorry we cleared out our old bikes, otherwise would have been glad to pass them on.

Good luck with the search!

Andy

www.jyonnobitime.com/time

Thanks for the info lads. I think I'll go for the wiggle simply because of the weight and the fact that he is such a light weight himself. The younger brother will be on it in about a year also at the rate he is growing.

ok. let's hope my son isn't reading this forum, but the bike arrived from Wiggle. Had to pay something like 1000 yen to the postman in tax. Wife paid so I don't recall what she said exactly except it was less than 2000 yen. After he went to bed I unpacked it and it looks pretty slick. Brake levers have a tiny reach so should be usable for him. The freewheel and bottom bracket are not what I'd want for my bike but probably fine for a kid. I removed the reflectors to get the saddle way down and also lowered the handle bars so hopefully, he'll be able to ride what he finds under the tree. Plan is to leave the pedals off for a bit to let him get used to the feel of it as a balance bike again and go from there. Anyway - really happy that it arrived. Bring on Christmas.

ok. let's hope my son isn't reading this forum, but the bike arrived from Wiggle. Had to pay something like 1000 yen to the postman in tax. Wife paid so I don't recall what she said exactly except it was less than 2000 yen.
-
Got my son's the other day, too - 1400 yen tax.

Oh well. Bike is too big. His toenails can reach the ground sitting on the saddle so its too big to start out on. The length is also too long. Hmmm. Their min leg length seems to be tippy toe length. Didn't stop him from wanting to pedal it around though with me holding the saddle. I guess he will fit it in about 3-4 months or so. He seems happy. He liked the gloves and knee/elbow pads I bought him though and is doing super hero impressions with those. Hope yours turned out better @Winston Leg-Thigh

Reactions: jdd
Oh well. Bike is too big. His toenails can reach the ground sitting on the saddle so its too big to start out on. The length is also too long. Hmmm. Their min leg length seems to be tippy toe length. Didn't stop him from wanting to pedal it around though with me holding the saddle. I guess he will fit it in about 3-4 months or so. He seems happy. He liked the gloves and knee/elbow pads I bought him though and is doing super hero impressions with those. Hope yours turned out better @Winston Leg-Thigh
Sorry to hear that - not far off the same problem myself (last time I trust their size guide) My lad can just about get his toes down without castrating himself, but once he's moving he's fine. The bike itself is great and was set up pretty well. The main thing is that my lad likes it and it should last him a good few years before he outgrows it.

I was up in the loft of the garage tonight digging out skis and snow shoes and I noticed we still have the 2 bikes that my boys jumped on at age 3.

Straight off a Strider they rode them instantaneously.

Quite happy to pass them on.

If you are interested I can take photos, measurements etc.

They are nothing fancy but got them hooked on cycling.

So they served their purpose!

Andy

rps20141128_204927_244.jpg

The blue bike has solid rubber wheels.

rps20141116_225850_932.jpg

A fun bike for a 3 year old.

rps20141110_222154_775.jpg

The pink bike (in the background) is similar geometry wise but has air filled tyres.

Like I say, happy to give them to you if you are interested.

Andy

Hi @andywood - that's very cool of you. Tempted to take you up on the offer. I guess those wheels are 12"? If so, i think that should work. Looks like a shorter wheel base. Can you send a photo of both bikes current state? I'd probably only take one as it will be just a temp thing until he can reach his new beast. Cool photo of your boys. Wonder what the postage will cost?

DSC_2087.JPG

DSC_2088.JPG

I guess 12 inch. Slightly bigger than a Strider. Which is why they take to them so easily.

The pink has some stabilizer wheels and a handle for an adult to hold the bike from behind.

But he should get the hang of it straight away. Both my boys did.

I asked them which they preferred and they said they liked both. I remember they regularly swapped between them.

The only difference is solid wheels on the blue one. But the kids never noticed.

2,000 to send by yamato if it can be squeezed into a 160cm dimensions box.

http://www.kuronekoyamato.co.jp/en/send/ta_q_bin/kanto/

Andy

Hi @andywood - thanks for the speedy reply. I think the blue one will work. The brake lever reach seems closer so should be better for his hands. I don't think I'll need the handle/stabilizers. I don't think he will notice the lack of air either at this level and once he gets going on this, graduating to the larger bike will be easy. Forever optimistic! I'll PM you.

Success! Thanks to @andywood, we got a bike that fits on Wednesday last and I let my 3 year old do the wrenching to put it together with guidance. Tried a little bit on Wednesday but it was too cold so left it to the weekend.

Saturday I made him ride his balance bike for a trip to the shops etc and practice getting his feet up for longer periods. Then it was too dark by the time we got home but we did a quick 5 minutes before giving up.

Sunday, i brought him for a ride on my cross bar and then we put up the saddle a bit higher on his bike but still almost flat foot on the ground and held the saddle while he put down some watts. I felt he was balanced so I let go and the bugger kept going! I ran beside him so he could see he was doing it himelself and after that he just kept getting better and better. Pretty cool to witness and I was really proud.

Can't believe he can ride now! Course he still can't really use the brakes but he'll get there. Thanks again Mr Wood!

Reactions: jdd
Back
Top Bottom