What's new

advice from previous Enduro riders

trad

Maximum Pace
Dec 4, 2006
As an Enduro newbie, would be interested in people's advice from past enduro's.... Please post your thoughts/learnings/lessoned learned.....

I'd be curious to hear about:
- Laps per rider
- Ideas for efficient change over in pit area
- Staying warm/dry while waiting (tarp, tent, heater, etc...)
- Availability of food/drinks at event (baiten)

Let me answer

As an Enduro newbie, would be interested in people's advice from past enduro's.... Please post your thoughts/learnings/lessoned learned.....

I'd be curious to hear about:
- Laps per rider
- Availability of food/drinks at event (baiten)

Trad

I have been in the event last two years with TCC. Here is my answer to your questions based on this experience.

- Laps per rider
This depends on each team. Majority changes to the next rider after a few laps. Maybe three?

No special tip. You will learn from the first change on the spot.

We did not set up any tent or tarp. Somebody brought just blue plastic sheet where all of our stuff were on. It is cold. Be prepared with warm cloth.

- Availability of food/drinks at event
There is no food stand on the event place. You may buy some food before entering the park. There is a convenience store near by the Nishi Tachikawa st. where we meet. Come a little earlier and ask someone.

One more important thing. This is not a serious race. Most of the participants are in the even to enjoy Christmas. The course is sometimes very narrow and difficult to pass others. It is sometimes slippery due to small gravel. Need to control speed. Be safe since it is on a holiday season.:)

I hope this helps. See you soon.

Minoru Arai

Other pointers...

Tips & hints for the race:

* HOW MANY LAPS TO DO: 5km course! The first time we did it, we were doing 2-laps (10km) per rider. Last year (our 2nd time) we decided that 3-laps (15km each) would be better. As it turns out, the slight drop in overall speed on the third lap outweighed the loss of time during the extra rider-changes. Meaning that 3-laps (or possibly even four – if you can hold the same pace for 20km) works out better in the long run.

* FOOD: As Arai-san mentioned, there are very few places to buy food there. We would all suggest at least an energy gel/drink & a small sandwich to nibble on between your race turns. Although there are a couple of small food stands (quite a distance from the race area), their prices are somewhat "inflated". It's best to bring your own.

* TIMING RIDER CHANGE-OVERS: A very fast time over that distance (ie. 40km/h) works out at 7 ½ minutes per lap. Slightly slower riders can still manage under 8 ½ minutes per lap. For those doing 3-laps each, time each rider change at between 22-25 minutes per rider. For those doing 2 laps per rider; 15-17 minutes.

* DRAFTING: Is perfectly legal… Although it is best not to be the one doing all the work. Last time, quite a few of us who set out alone were thinking "how great we were riding", only to look behind us and see a string of 8-20 guys sitting on our tails – Oh, we were being used! The only advice I can offer in this respect, is to wait until a (slightly) faster group comes by, and then give everything you've got to jump on the back end of that group – Using the other riders is common racing tactics.

Finally, a very important tip for those seeking a podium position (Teams-A & B, perhaps); Check in early, and Get your "first riders'" bike as close to the starting-line as possible! That was our downfall last year – We had all checked-in late, and Thomas (our first rider) found himself all the way down the back of the peleton. After the starters gun had gone off, it was almost a full 5 minutes before Thomas crossed the starting-line. With everyone's times being taken from exactly 11:00am – 15:00pm, that 5 minutes cost us a lot of time.
In fact, I would recommend that EVERY first rider for each team be very close to the front at the start!

* KEEPING WARM BETWEEN TURNS: Although it means carrying extra luggage to the event, everyone should carry at least a pair of long pants – thick ski-pants work very well; also a sweater & a wind-proof jacket. It has been quite chilly the last few times. And remember, we will all still be riding from there to Nakano for the 忘年会 – End of year party – About 25km away.

We can all do really well this year! Possibly 2-3 teams on the "podium" is not out of the question!
See you all there!
Travis

Pre-ride?

Thanks Travis and Arai-san for your contributions.
Does anyone know if the course is open on Saturday for a look-see?

AW.

They are holding the event on Saturday too!

I went there last weekend, and watched a little of a University team time trial.
The course is very narrow in places and lots of leaves making it slippery!!

At the bonenkai spot, is there space to park our bikes?

Parking spaces...

At the bonenkai spot, is there space to park our bikes?

YES! The "party" is at a small-ish place on a side-road that runs parallel to the train-lines - There are a few poles there to tie your bike(s) to; and if you run out of poles, just tie your bike to the next bike.

Of course, nobody wants their bike stolen, but when you have a Colnago strapped to a Cinelli right next to Trek and titanium Merlin tied to a specialized with a Giant opposed to a Gios, Pinarello, Orbea and Kuota... Nobody will steal these bikes!
Mostly, because they just won't fit, but more than that, "if one potential bike-thief has the balls to try and steal one of our steeds while the possibility of 30 rowdy cyclists coming out the door directly opposite at anytime" remains, he/she shall count themselves extremely unlucky!
ie. It just won't happen!
T

Locks

I live in Koenji which is next door to Nakano. I'll be going home prior to the Bonenkai as I want to dump my stuff off.

I have a two good rather expensive lock sets - both cable and U. If you like I can bring these with me when I come to join you in the restaurant.

Lee

Back
Top Bottom