What's new

"Adventurous Cyclist", the fun of cycling in Japan, my adventures

What is your sleeping bag and do you have a sleeping pad/ mat?
If you don't have a sleeping mat go to a store and get some cardboard boxes you can break down to insulate yourself from the ground. Probably a lot of heat is escaping downwards?

What is your sleeping bag and do you have a sleeping pad/ mat?
If you don't have a sleeping mat go to a store and get some cardboard boxes you can break down to insulate yourself from the ground. Probably a lot of heat is escaping downwards?
sleeping bag cheap no pap, card board never thought of that but ground is not col d
late now tomorrow l check

you lose 3x more heat into the ground than into the air.

Last edited:
day 2 stayed at campground all day . relaxed.
planned for tomorrows sightseeing.

day 3 Wensday
will go to nima ぎんざsilvermine by train and bus
bike back from nima eki to iwami park, maybe ⁈not sure how long to bike,
seems like no wind today great day

April 7 Wednesday
train ride to niwa station, bus ride to iwami kingan silver mine.
got to see how people lived in 1800 hundreds and early 1900 hundred, very interesting , life must have been slow pace.
body function ok, need to watch out for sciatica.
diet... was not hungry. 3 coffee, banana pie, carrot, chips, mix nuts, 3 egg rolls half price.
no wind today.
forgot to get cardboard.
rain maybe this weekend, stat put ?
need to find next free campground, a bit hard at the moment.
tomorrow need to by long sleeve biker shirt, socks and a candle to keep warm.
oh, a blessing in discise...4 tunnels,long ones, no room for bike path, good thing l didnt bike today, but have to bike to Matsue, also Tottori is 200 km wow might be wrong on that.
so far doing ok. free camping, most money for train, but its worth it at the moment
thanks guys for reading

きょう pictures.

DSC_0164.JPGDSC_0163.JPGDSC_0140.JPGDSC_0137.JPGDSC_0138.JPG

more pictures.
DSC_0125.JPGDSC_0112.JPG

@adventurous cyclist Candles and tents are a bad mix and in your tent's case with a high roofline it's not going to anything heat wise. Just increases the chances of having a fire.

If you need an inflatable mat I can send you one that you can use for as long as you need it. Also a simple sleeping sleeve in your sleeping bag will add a few degrees but if your bag is a cheap and nasty one it is only going to get nastier as the inner insulation gets compressed.
as reviewed here You want small size and 3 season warmth.

Amazon product ASIN B01M7VQBWO
A better nights sleep will make a MASSIVE difference on this quest. Let me know about the sleeping mat. Maybe if I send it to @jdd and he can hand it over to you?

I'm not sure what weather app you use, but JMA is what I look at--and I've pegged their english version for you (Matsue). It looks beautiful for you till Tuesday, when there may be some rain:

jdd, you are very helpful, l truly appreciate it. With you guys help l am learning as l go.
do need a free campground in the matsue area. Food and water cost is around 500 yen a day. No restaurant or soft and beer drinks, so cheap so far.

@adventurous cyclist Candles and tents are a bad mix and in your tent's case with a high roofline it's not going to anything heat wise. Just increases the chances of having a fire.

If you need an inflatable mat I can send you one that you can use for as long as you need it. Also a simple sleeping sleeve in your sleeping bag will add a few degrees but if your bag is a cheap and nasty one it is only going to get nastier as the inner insulation gets compressed.
as reviewed here You want small size and 3 season warmth.

Amazon product ASIN B01M7VQBWO
A better nights sleep will make a MASSIVE difference on this quest. Let me know about the sleeping mat. Maybe if I send it to @jdd and he can hand it over to you?
morning Simon, l thank.you for suggestion, but l have to pass on it. The emergency heat blanket seems to be ok now that l got a hang of it, but in Matsue l will get some cardboard. All is well therm is 36.6 body temp.
diet is fine, Friday l cycle maybe 5 hours.
still need campsite in matsue though, ok NO candles.
l think one siteseeing so far is fine unless places are close and for cycling. Budget wise so far so good.
first week ten thousand yen that included camp and clothing,train fare and food.
nice if l get camping set for friday night in matsue area, today l try to find. not much out here in these neck of the woods.

...a free campground in the matsue area. ...
I googled a little but didn't see anything free (tho there are a number listed, below).

I wouldn't want to suggest anything that would rankle locals, but it isn't camping (or beach) season yet, and the paid places are probably almost or completely empty (especially weekdays). It's no guarantee, but go to one that's in a large beach area, or that itself looks big. Then get away from the office, and away from (and out of sight of) the spots/area that's for the official rentals. Set up late and leave early (or even just pack up, so that it looks like you've just stopped for a break and are not camping).

You can't (technically ;) ) use the area's services, or make yourself known by shopping in the campground office, but this will likely work. If someone complains, say you're sorry, and that you'll be gone early in the morning, or that you're just leaving right then.

Never having been there, I'm not sure which place would best qualify:

It's free camping and in English it's Hirata Forest Park Camping Ground,

About 100kms with ups and downs but nothing too high. Total climbing about 1200meters

It's free camping and in English it's Hirata Forest Park Camping Ground,

About 100kms with ups and downs but nothing too high. Total climbing about 1200meters
Great leave tomorrow morning.
l was worried about a free campsite.
l bought long sleeve heavy shirt, that should help.
l got an aluminum sheet cover 100 yen to put under the sleeping bag. Many thanks on the campsite.
l got to take the train some ways and then bike. Got to find the place.
wind picked up, cold set in quickly tonight.

Last night for Iwami Seaside Park.
1617595404924.jpgDSC_0176.JPGDSC_0170.JPGDSC_0171.JPG
Enjoyed freeCAMPING

Made it to Hirata Forest Park
5pm tent up
got electricity so charging phone and battery.
clocked in 40 km today.
Had to buy winter jacket , much too cold for sweatshirt.
spent 4000 yen total today
light meals today
DSC_0185.JPGDSC_0186.JPGDSC_0194.JPGDSC_0193.JPGDSC_0195.JPG
not sure but maybe extremely cold tonight, no coffee tonight

bike repair tomorrow, front brake screwed up, bag got caught,

Back
Top Bottom