What's new

"Adventurous Cyclist", the fun of cycling in Japan, my adventures

Ferry from Nigata looks cheapest option for Sado Island. Jetfoil is cool but treble the cost.

I'd bring the poncho and leave the heavy raincoat behind. Poncho will keep you dry and not weigh so much. A heavy raincoat is not very practical except for heavy rain days.

Are you going to do a one night test camp before you set off?
Actually I got 2 light ponchos. The raincoat is heavy and bulky. OK, not sure now to bring it. Hassle of carrying it too.
Niigata ferry, wow! Thanks.
I set up the tent yesterday and all is well for that. Got one more food item to buy that really is a money saver on the long run. Then today or tomorrow, ( might rain tomorrow and today is very windy ) I 'll set up the bike with all the gear and take it for a 3 hour test ride out in the country with a hill that I have to walk up on, steep grade and its probably a 10 minute hill. That will be my training.

Saw a YouTube video of some things to take on a long bike trip and thought he had some good ideas. So, if you haven't already got these, you might want to think about them...

1. some duct tape 2. zip ties 3. a stuff sack for when you need extra volume (i.e. loading up on groceries), 4. carabiners 5. spare cleats, bolts and derailleur hanger

Happy trails!

Saw a YouTube video of some things to take on a long bike trip and thought he had some good ideas. So, if you haven't already got these, you might want to think about them...

1. some duct tape 2. zip ties 3. a stuff sack for when you need extra volume (i.e. loading up on groceries), 4. carabiners 5. spare cleats, bolts and derailleur hanger

Happy trails!

Thanks for sharing. The man is spot on about the simple survival stuff. Even a good sewing kit really comes in handy. Since I'm going to do some fishing also, I got one of them really good all stainless steel knives to work with also. Every bait and tackle store sells them. About 2400 yen each. The best on the market to filet the fish with .

@adventurous cyclist , any plans to hit the Boso peninsula/Chiba?
Matt, I came across an NHK video on it. If I remember right, there is a "bike train" to the Boso peninsula? I think the fee was about 7 thousand yen one way?
On my notes for Chiba I have this written down as of today:
1. Naritasan Shinshoji Temple
2. Mount Nokogiri
3. Kenkonzan Nihoji Temple
4. Yourou Ravine ( hiking and river )
5. Shimizu Park ( camping )
6. Oyama Senmaida Rice Terrace
7. Nomizono Falls

I don't know about the Boso peninsula, other then is great for the cyclist. ( I'll have to check and see about camping there. I have an open schedule so really as long as health and my wallet says go, I'm going !
If the weather breaks here in Yamaguchi, I start my travels tomorrow. Today it was pouring down way too hard to pack and get to the train station.
My first place to camp and sightsee is in Shimane Prefecture at Iwami Seaside Park.
Stay in touch.
With any luck I hope to touch base with Simon, JDD and Andywood so far.

Matt, I came across an NHK video on it. If I remember right, there is a "bike train" to the Boso peninsula? I think the fee was about 7 thousand yen one way?
On my notes for Chiba I have this written down as of today:
1. Naritasan Shinshoji Temple
2. Mount Nokogiri
3. Kenkonzan Nihoji Temple
4. Yourou Ravine ( hiking and river )
5. Shimizu Park ( camping )
6. Oyama Senmaida Rice Terrace
7. Nomizono Falls

I don't know about the Boso peninsula, other then is great for the cyclist. ( I'll have to check and see about camping there. I have an open schedule so really as long as health and my wallet says go, I'm going !
If the weather breaks here in Yamaguchi, I start my travels tomorrow. Today it was pouring down way too hard to pack and get to the train station.
My first place to camp and sightsee is in Shimane Prefecture at Iwami Seaside Park.
Stay in touch.
With any luck I hope to touch base with Simon, JDD and Andywood so far.
The local racing club usually stops here on our long runs here in the Boso at the Heguri Clubhouse

I think there is a guy in Sendai who may be back in Japan by then.
Are you on the road today?
Hi Simon
Yes l left at five am. All is well. Very strong heaf wind sClocking at five.to eight km。
l think temps will be.in the.low.30s.tonight. Got sweater and hooded sweat shirt.

So you are all set up and ready for a good sleep. How many kilometers today?

The reason I ask is to caution you not to go out too fast too soon. Give your legs, back and butt a chance to adjust to a new daily schedule. Any pics from today?

So you are all set up and ready for a good sleep. How many kilometers today?

The reason I ask is to caution you not to go out too fast too soon. Give your legs, back and butt a chance to adjust to a new daily schedule. Any pics from today?
l only took a few pics will post later. l took mostly the train but clocked in twenty km. very strong headwinds.
l write later on forum.
Getting cold now

Day 1 April 5 Monday
1. Ube, Yamaguchi to Shimane ken
left six am
arrived Shimokou eleven thirty
load bike one hour
two thirty arrived Iwami seaside park
one hour set up
shopping food for four days 2000 yen
7 pm dinner
cold and very windy

1617580348010.jpg1617589584051.jpg1617592974903.jpg1617595404924.jpg1617608814917.jpg

Yeah, I looked up the wind down there, and it looked like it was blowing hard down the coast--a nasty headwind for anyone wanting to ride on up the coast towards Matsue.

Good luck on your adventure, @adventurous cyclist!

As for rain wear and dressing for cold weather, I second the recommendations for layers. Multiple thin layers can keep you warmer than fewer thick ones, plus it's easier to fine tune the layering for a given temperature. I have some old heavy anorak in my wardrobe that I never use because I discovered layering.

For layers to keep you warm you still need to stay dry though, as layering traps insulating air between layers which doesn't work when all layers are equally soaked with rain. So when it rains you need an outside layer that keeps out the rain, but no more than that. It doesn't have to be particularly thick. Uniqlo synthetic fibre textiles have worked very well for me and they're fairly inexpensive.

For food I would not recommend buying several days worth of food at once and carry it, unless you'll be away from supermarkets and other shops for several days. It just weighs you down.

Yeah, I looked up the wind down there, and it looked like it was blowing hard down the coast-to fac-a nasty headwind for anyone wanting to ride on up the coast towards Matsue.
it was terrible wind, l had to face it head on twenty km wow loaded bike good breakin though

Good luck on your adventure, @adventurous cyclist!

As for rain wear and dressing for cold weather, I second the recommendations for layers. Multiple thin layers can keep you warmer than fewer thick ones, plus it's easier to fine tune the layering for a given temperature. I have some old heavy anorak in my wardrobe that I never use because I discovered layering.

For layers to keep you warm you still need to stay dry though, as layering traps insulating air between layers which doesn't work when all layers are equally soaked with rain. So when it rains you need an outside layer that keeps out the rain, but no more than that. It doesn't have to be particularly thick. Uniqlo synthetic fibre textiles have worked very well for me and they're fairly inexpensive.

For food I would not recommend buying several days worth of food at once and carry it, unless you'll be away from supermarkets and other shops for several days. It just weighs you down.
l had to buy since no stores nearby. cabbage, carrots, bread, can food, lunch was.chicken rice ball, chips.
today is rest day. l met a couple camping , tomorrow l go to lwami ginzan silver mine.
l think three hour.bike ride ⁈

yes, finally after all these years.had to use emergency heat cover last night, freezing.
You'll get used to the cold. Double up the socks and roll in your sleeping bag to trap air around your body and wear a beanie.
tomorrow l go to lwami ginzan silver mine.
l think three hour.bike ride ⁈
last 6 kms are uphill (allow for 4 as there are a few ups and downs on the way) If you can drop most of your gear in a stash for the ride up it might save you a chunk of time and energy. Just watch that the monkeys and bears don't eat your tucker. Got your camp sorted out for tomorrow? If you have, maybe drop your gear there before heading up to the mine?

Since my homebase now for a few days l take koshiro station to nima station then take bus to iwami ginza silver mine then bus to nima station then bike on route9 to iwami seaside park. l think it maybe 45 km bike ride , not sure about the wind yet but l traval light.
need 3 pairs of socks and hooded sweatshirt tonight maybe 7 c its very cold here next to ocean at 7 pm.
doing fine so far. body functions ok. small intake of food, but balance. veg, bread, sardines and mix nuts , tomorrow will be the endurance test.
l will be here for maybe three more days then bike north , biking time should be five hours so need to find free camping along route 9 .my fresh vegetables.DSC_0060.JPG

Back
Top Bottom