What's new

"Adventurous Cyclist", the fun of cycling in Japan, my adventures

That's a nice piece of ass in your garden, too!
Actually we have a real yard. A bit small, but much larger then any in the neighborhood. Got a mulberry tree, raspberry and blackberry plants and other trees and flower garden. Lots of work to actually keep it up and maintained . The donkeys ! Got to have them, if you see my first picture in my blog, you'll see a deer and rabbits also.

It's April now, that means one thing to me. The wind will be my road map in my life now while I start my journey cycling and seeing Japan. I'm pretty much prepared now. As for the bike, I got a front carrier coming in this week and a bike maintenance ( free ) checkup. Parts will be half price for me according to the owner of the shop. Thankfully we still have these mom and pop bikes shops around that have a sharing and caring heart, at least the one I bought my bike from.
On a side note, I weighed my panniers and they came in packed at 6.2 kilos. For the rear carrier my tent and wheeled cart will be on it, possible with a heavy duty rain coat.
I've asked a lot of questions about biking in Japan on this forum and I just want to say thank you to all that have chimed in with all them great suggestions and helpful hints. I've listen to you, at least I hope I did.
My journey of Japan will start April 8th. Starting point is Ube, Yamaguchi Prefecture. I have one other thing to do and that is to re-up by bike insurance this week. Am I excited, you bet I am. :)🚴‍♂️🗾🚴‍♂️:)

Maybe I might see some of you while touring, be great to meet some of you. I'll post the prefectures that I'm in. First one will be Shimane Prefecture and then continue along the Sea of Japan up to Hokkaido.

Last edited:
Sea of Japan covers @jdd and @andywood
If you need maintenance or spares before you cross to Hokkaido I can throw the tools and repair stand in the car. and get you running smoothly and silently. I presume you'll be crossing to Hakodate from Aomori City or from Oma Town.
Oh remember to keep your chain well lubed on your journey. A well lubed chain is a trouble free chain, (mostly).

If you need maintenance or spares before you cross to Hokkaido I can throw the tools and repair stand in the car. and get you running smoothly and silently. I presume you'll be crossing to Hakodate from Aomori City or from Oma Town.
Oh remember to keep your chain well lubed on your journey. A well lubed chain is a trouble free chain, (mostly).
Thanks Simon
I'll buy the lube for the chain. I know all the rain I'll be catching, the chain will need it. So far all is going well with my planning. Little steps at a time. Went to the train station and they told me about the JR app that everyone uses. I downloaded it. Its what I need, of course, I'll be asking someone to help me out on the kanji, but I'll manage.
Yes, I plan on meeting up with you before and after Hokkaido. Coffee is on me. The tools sound good. I got just the basics to tighten, change the tube, wrench, hammer and screw driver, that's it I think.
The ferry, I'll be asking you about when I get up there to Aomori. I'm on a travel chat on Line. Those people are really helpful, although its all in Japanese, that helps me learn it and a few do some translations. Also they all live in various parts of the country and give me advice what to see and camp. Like bikeriders lodging in Hokkaido, that should come in really handy. Sad though I'm not going by motorcycle, but cycling will do me good.
Stay tune for daily post. Seems like the weather will be fine in Shimane until the 12th of the month, then rain. I have a feeling it still will be very cold at night and in the mornings there?

If you come thru here (kanazawa) I'll buy you lunch or dinner, but fair warning--I really don't drink at all these days.

Hey JDD Sure
I will visit and camp in Ishikawa.DSC_0011.JPG
I don't drink right now also.
Beware, l am one hell of a story teller. This is my plan of sightseeing

Last edited:
It's April now, that means one thing to me. The wind will be my road map in my life now while I start my journey cycling and seeing Japan. I'm pretty much prepared now. As for the bike, I got a front carrier coming in this week and a bike maintenance ( free ) checkup. Parts will be half price for me according to the owner of the shop. Thankfully we still have these mom and pop bikes shops around that have a sharing and caring heart, at least the one I bought my bike from.
On a side note, I weighed my panniers and they came in packed at 6.2 kilos. For the rear carrier my tent and wheeled cart will be on it, possible with a heavy duty rain coat.
I've asked a lot of questions about biking in Japan on this forum and I just want to say thank you to all that have chimed in with all them great suggestions and helpful hints. I've listen to you, at least I hope I did.
My journey of Japan will start April 8th. Starting point is Ube, Yamaguchi Prefecture. I have one other thing to do and that is to re-up by bike insurance this week. Am I excited, you bet I am. :)🚴‍♂️🗾🚴‍♂️:)

Maybe I might see some of you while touring, be great to meet some of you. I'll post the prefectures that I'm in. First one will be Shimane Prefecture and then continue along the Sea of Japan up to Hokkaido.
Keep us posted as you go! You're gonna have an amazing trip!

Keep us posted as you go! You're gonna have an amazing trip!
Thank you very much.
Today l went to the bike shop , the front carrier came in.
Since this really is my first expense l will log it . Installed which took him about thirty minutes, total cost ¥4000. The carrier is good for five kilos. I think it is heavy duty made. @kiwisimon said oil the chain so l bought some lube, but.the owner gave me free . Nice guy.
DSC_0012.JPGDSC_0014.JPG gave me freeDSC_0012.JPGDSC_0014.JPG

I would be very wary if a guy was giving me free lube, but perhaps I am just showing my age! Glad you've got a great relationship with the LBS, though!

He's like three years older then me and l do all my shopping there. Yes, it was nice oh him. His wife works with him also, really.nice people . I wanted to buy it but he said no. The front carriers are actually quite expensive, but this one is made really well.

Looks like you have that pic uploading thing sussed out.

What are you wearing on your feet and what will you do when it rains? (yes I know "Get wet")
Thanks. I bought a new android one S7 the other day. Was on sale for 15000 yen. Thought it was a good price. 15 gb and for 700 yen more a month ( total price 4000 yen ) I got the over 60 unlimited time calls and this is with Ymobile. The phone was half price. It is now easier to use the camera and kind of find the pictures on it too. I said kind of, saying that because so far with trial and error I've been able to post the pictures . Yippie !

Well, I know when it rains ( not cold ) I'll be wearing thongs. ( not recommended, but...) other then that I have a pair of hiking shoes. Although I asked the bike owner yesterday about pedals, which he showed me, they were about the same I have on the bike. I mentioned it because I wanted pedals that were more friendly to the feet after 5 hours of riding. The little spikes on them pedals begin to go through the souls of my shoes. No new pedals yesterday.
By the way, the shop owner gave me the chain oil, thanks for mentioning it to me.

When it rains, hopefully I'll have the weather report ahead of time, but as I go further north, yes, the elements are going to be of concerned. I have one on them construction street people use, heavy duty one. Cost a bit over 4000 yen. Its hot and stuffy though when raining. Found that out on my scooter.
But if sever weather patterns come about, currently I don't have an answer or experience for that. 1 st though would be some kind of rest area ( https://www.michi-no-eki.jp/stations/english ) and other then that, other type of lodging when a typhoon hits. I heard about them 24 manga cafes, but I wouldn't know how to find one anywhere.
But the elements of the weather, rain, hot and humid and cold nights are a concern of mine. Especially when I get up north toward your area.

When you get up here unless you are beating into the higher mountains to stay cold is not much of a factor. From May on it's pretty pleasant until the rainy season hits but you should be in Hokkaido by then and miss it.

Rather than a heavy coat which will make you sweat and sweat is where many chills come in, I'd suggest lighter layers of polyprop (like uniqlo heat tech) that you can peel on or off as your motor heats up. @joewein is a master of temperature control. (I tend to not feel cold so much, currently 6 degrees outside and I'm out and about with t shirt and shorts)

Thongs are great for airing out your feet after a day of cycling. Not so good on the bike though.
If your pedals are giving you sore feet then you need stiffer soled shoes but hiking shoes should be stiff enough. Are they easy to flex the sole under the ball of your foot?
Did your bike come with toeclips? They can help ease up the pressure you have to spend keeping your feet on the pedals and help with a more efficient (less stressful) pedaling motion.

When you get up here unless you are beating into the higher mountains to stay cold is not much of a factor. From May on it's pretty pleasant until the rainy season hits but you should be in Hokkaido by then and miss it.

Rather than a heavy coat which will make you sweat and sweat is where many chills come in, I'd suggest lighter layers of polyprop (like uniqlo heat tech) that you can peel on or off as your motor heats up. @joewein is a master of temperature control. (I tend to not feel cold so much, currently 6 degrees outside and I'm out and about with t shirt and shorts)

Thongs are great for airing out your feet after a day of cycling. Not so good on the bike though.
If your pedals are giving you sore feet then you need stiffer soled shoes but hiking shoes should be stiff enough. Are they easy to flex the sole under the ball of your foot?
Did your bike come with toeclips? They can help ease up the pressure you have to spend keeping your feet on the pedals and help with a more efficient (less stressful) pedaling motion.
Hey Simon, no toeclips on the pedals. My hiking shoes really need to be replaced actually. Might be on my buy list this weekend. About the rain coat, it is the heavy duty type, but I'll bring it with. I do have a poncho for the light morning rains that usually show up in the mornings.
Good to know that its not freezing in May up there. I'm about half way through with mapping and planning. I feel its really just going to be more or less a guide line to follow. Finding out there's a lot of stuff to see and these small islands like Sato is something that are going to be on my list. Actually I got my fishing gear packed too. No BS. Hey, how's the fishing in Aomori?

I am in the small coastal town of Kashiwazaki.

35 up coast from Naoetsu. 75km down coast from Niigata city.

From Kashiwazaki, take the coast road all the way. Few lights, few cars, lots to see.

20210401_054813.jpg

Give me a shout when you pass through. A direct mail here will alert my phone.

I don't drink much these days. Well no more than your average touring funk band!

Andy

I am in the small coastal town of Kashiwazaki.

35 up coast from Naoetsu. 75km down coast from Niigata city.

From Kashiwazaki, take the coast road all the way. Few lights, few cars, lots to see.

View attachment 30016

Give me a shout when you pass through. A direct mail here will alert my phone.

I don't drink much these days. Well no more than your average touring funk band!

Andy
Gosh, Andy thanks for the invite. I really hope to meet some of you folks while touring. Fact is, I am in no rush to get back to Ube. LOL But for real, yeah, I'll give ya a call. By the way any campgrounds nearby?

This is what my schedule looks like for Niigata.

DSC_0016Kashiwasaki, Niigata.JPG

Gosh, Andy thanks for the invite. I really hope to meet some of you folks while touring. Fact is, I am in no rush to get back to Ube. LOL But for real, yeah, I'll give ya a call. By the way any campgrounds nearby?

This is what my schedule looks like for Niigata.

View attachment 30018
If you stay by the coast you can camp anywhere. Lots of toilets scattered up the coast. Cold showers if you are in summer. Onsens too.

If it was me, I would be trying to camp near onsens by the beach. Park up a dusk. Pitch a tent and go for a dip. There are plenty of options like that.

For example:

20210402_095054.jpg

On your list, Sado is well worth it. It's a 210km loop. There is the gold mine, bird sanctuary etc. Worth a few days. Bear in mind you could access from a ferry from Naoetsu to Ogi, ride round the top of the island (most rugged and beautiful) and then depart from Roetsu to Niigata city.

images.png

Probably okay, but check ferry availability in advance as lots of school trips are heading there instead of Tokyo or Kyoto due to the pandemic.

Yahiko is also a must.

Takada is nice too.

For Ojiya and Echigo Tsumari I think you are heading inland which is okay if you have lots of time and climbing legs! But maybe just keep to the coast?

When you visit Kanazawa, I would also highly recommend the Noto Peninsula.

Andy

If you stay by the coast you can camp anywhere. Lots of toilets scattered up the coast. Cold showers if you are in summer. Onsens too.

If it was me, I would be trying to camp near onsens by the beach. Park up a dusk. Pitch a tent and go for a dip. There are plenty of options like that.

For example:

View attachment 30020

On your list, Sado is well worth it. It's a 210km loop. There is the gold mine, bird sanctuary etc. Worth a few days. Bear in mind you could access from a ferry from Naoetsu to Ogi, ride round the top of the island (most rugged and beautiful) and then depart from Roetsu to Niigata city.

View attachment 30021

Probably okay, but check ferry availability in advance as lots of school trips are heading there instead of Tokyo or Kyoto due to the pandemic.

Yahiko is also a must.

Takada is nice too.

For Ojiya and Echigo Tsumari I think you are heading inland which is okay if you have lots of time and climbing legs! But maybe just keep to the coast?

When you visit Kanazawa, I would also highly recommend the Noto Peninsula.

Andy
Thanks for the advice and info. The ferry info is really important. It's true, I'm in no rush. Hiking I was into it here in Yamaguchi, but after my hiking friend took ill, I started hiking by myself. Found out very quickly it was not advisable. Common sense took the front seat. As mention I leave Ube on the 8th of April and most likely stay in each prefecture for ( well I don't know, lots has to do with the expense I may occur in each prefecture ). But I'll be heading north all the way to Aomori then Hokkaido.

Ferry from Nigata looks cheapest option for Sado Island. Jetfoil is cool but treble the cost.

I'd bring the poncho and leave the heavy raincoat behind. Poncho will keep you dry and not weigh so much. A heavy raincoat is not very practical except for heavy rain days.

Are you going to do a one night test camp before you set off?

Back
Top Bottom