What's new

"Adventurous Cyclist", the fun of cycling in Japan, my adventures

Can't seem to post a picture on here

Okay I'll try againIMG_20200809_134026.jpg

Can go cycling without my fishing pole didn't catch no fish today but it sure was a nice day

For Suzuki fish, small hook and sinker. I dig the sand worms in the river for bait. For eels, I use a trap with or without bait ( cut up fish )

I'm out cycling today here's a fishing shrine hopefully I can post a picture of it

December 28, 2020 Monday
Well, the year is closing and looks like snow tomorrow and the next day. Might just put the bike away now till the weather permits. Been good biking weather this year. Sad to say, but no camping due to the corona virus. Hope next year I'll be cycling in Okinawa during the early summer.
So today I get my bike all maintenanced up. Here is what I got done;
1. new tire 5,290 yen
2. handle grips 1,590 yen ( my grips lasted 2 years )
3. left side mirror 2,600 yen ( kind of expensive I thought , but I only see out of one eye so I needed it )
4. kilometer reader with other stuff like speed, time , calories burnt and other stuff on it. bike shop owner installed for me 4,000 yen

Well, I'm going to get all geared up for an adventurous 2021 . Getting old now, legs are fine, knees are OK. Stamina is I think pretty good. Went for a 7 hour walk 2 weeks ago. No booze, just some water, chips and a 7-11 rice ball.
Maybe next year some of you might head down south ( Yamaguchi area ) if so, drop a line

And Happy New Year and a safe riding one too!
bike bill 2020.jpg

January 14, 2021 Thursday
Well, I got my first flat tire yesterday. Amazing, I haven't changed a flat tire on a bike since I was in elementary school. Well, bikes have changed since my childhood bike " Nellybell ". A cross bike is not a put to gather scrounge neighborhood bike. OK, so how long did it take me to put on a new tube. Well, I don't call myself " turtle speed cyclist " for nothing. LOL Took me 90 minutes. Oh, and I got to say I'm glad I done it at the house too.

flat tire.jpg

I'm going to add this thread to this blog and keep track on it here.

Some good stuff for me and whoever can use it.

Last edited:
OK, so I'm just getting around to what I need to pack. My goal is to travel as light as possible.
So I want to start with a backpack, not sure if I'll wear it or put in on the rear carrier yet, but need to have the necessities in it.
OK, here is my starting list.

- washing cloth
- 2 small hand towels
- 4 pairs of socks
- mini umbrella
- pair of jeans
- 1 cycling tee-shirt ( will most likely increase later )
- summer underwear ( 100 yen stuff )
- batteries for lantern
- lantern ( may end up in the saddle bags )
- hand soap w/container
- toothbrush
- picnic sheet ( comes in handy with all them ants )
- 2 candles ( to heat up some can food )
- mini table ( 100 yen special, pretty cool actually, keeps the food off the ground anyway )
- clamp ( not sure what I'll use it for yet )
- address book ( send out postcards )

this is just a starter but its something small that I may over look after a couple of packings ( goal is to keep it light )

See if l can post a picture of the above .

Here is the picture.
That's for my backpack.

IMG_20210209_100529.jpg

I tried not to be too harsh.

- washing cloth why not use a hand towel?
- 2 small hand towels
- 4 pairs of socks I'd take 2
- mini umbrella nah raincoat or tent
- pair of jeans heavy when wet, not very warm
- 1 cycling tee-shirt ( will most likely increase later )
- summer underwear ( 100 yen stuff )
- batteries for lantern
- lantern ( may end up in the saddle bags )
Use your bike light with a circle of alumi foil in the end of a clear drink bottle.
- hand soap w/container water alone is a good cleaner, or a tube of sanitizer.
- toothbrush
- picnic sheet ( comes in handy with all them ants ) Are you afraid of ants? They don't bite and they don't eat much.
- 2 candles ( to heat up some can food ) gas stove more reliable and delivers sure results. A candle in the slightest wind will hardly heat up a ca of food
- mini table use the back pack?
- clamp ( not sure what I'll use it for yet ) I'd ditch it
- address book ( send out postcards ) send them when you get home or email as you go

this is just a starter but its something small that I may over look after a couple of packings ( goal is to keep it light )
Backpacks suck for touring. You sweat, they move, you get rashes, you itch. Put everything on the bike as low as possible.

What is your average likely distance travelled a day?
Once you have that try an overnight from home riding that distance, camp and ride home.

Keep it coming ;)

I tried not to be too harsh.

Backpacks suck for touring. You sweat, they move, you get rashes, you itch. Put everything on the bike as low as possible.

What is your average likely distance travelled a day?
Once you have that try an overnight from home riding that distance, camp and ride home.

Keep it coming ;)
Well, this is the whole reason I'm posting, to get feedback. Cycling is a different beast then having the scooter, but I've done the train and cycling to http://gethiroshima.com/lifestyle/iwami-seaside-park/ and I was actually carrying too heavy of a load for August. Don't want to make that mistake again.

For time and distance, well, from Ube to Mine is 3.5 hours one way ( not sure of the kilometers ) and Ube to Shimonseki is 3.5 hours one way and its about 42 kilometers, maybe a bit more. Since the traveling will be akk new areas, and I intend to sight see and find the campsites near popular places, I don't think I'm going to be in a rush to do more then 70 to 80 kilmeters in a day, especially when the temps are over 85 f. A hundred kilometer, I'd look probably for an inn since it would be getting late, but I haven't got any schedule yet, got the time to do that, just at the moment, it was getting this camera ready ( which this morning screwed up again, but I think the problem was that I was maybe logged into the computer on here with the phone ) and a checklist for things needed to be packed. ( got to check on my bike insurance, just thought of that now ).

Going to Ube airport to check on air flights to Okinawa. Ferry to Okinawa might be higher then an air ticket. I'll let ya know. Going today to check it out.

Skip the jeans--they're heavy, bulky, hard to launder/dry.

Address book--that should all be on your phone.
OK. No jeans. Actually I'd have to learn how to put the addresses on the telephone never done it before at least I don't think I have but yeah I have a little book with all the addresses and people in the states that I'd like to send a little postcards to I just small little book so it just fixing my front pocket shirt pocket. yeah if you got any more suggestions on that list on that message itself let me know I'll be adding another list of camping gear obvious ly everyone has when go camping.

Back
Top Bottom