What's new

"Adventurous Cyclist", the fun of cycling in Japan, my adventures

My wife worked in Ube a long time ago and I suggested flying there for a weekend to be togtether but she told me to meet her in Hiroshima as Ube is almost the same as rural Iwate and I'd be bored once we left the hotel. Your pictures confirm that. No doubt a nice place to live.

I can just make out STARFLYER at the front. Here is the airline if you're interested:

Thanks stu
I never heard of the airline. There were only 2 planes, ANA and JAL at one time flying in and out of Ube. So I guess now I need to stop in at the airport and see where the planes now fly too.
Again, thank you.

My wife worked in Ube a long time ago and I suggested flying there for a weekend to be togtether but she told me to meet her in Hiroshima as Ube is almost the same as rural Iwate and I'd be bored once we left the hotel. Your pictures confirm that. No doubt a nice place to live.

And the funny thing is, my wife says Hiroshima has nothing to offer. Mixed up world we live in.:(

Some more pictures of June 11th.

This boat you see in the picture had engine trouble. Don't know what ever happened to it.
1 Ube port.JPG

The port is home to Ube Industries. A very large chemical plant. I think its the 4 th largest type of chemical plants in Japan
2 Ube port.JPG

Well, I saw one of these guys catch a fish. Not sure if I'd want to eat it though.
3 Ube port.JPG

All sizes of ships here coming in from all around the world.
4 Ube port.JPG

Its lunch time and getting very hot, so the fisherman are now leaving
5 Ube port.JPG

I wonder who cooks for the crew ? Maybe cup noodles for 45 days
6 Ube port.JPG

Wonder what this ship is hauling
7 Ube port.JPG

There she goes, wonder where ?
8 Ube port.JPG

Well, looks like this guy is done fishing for the day
9 Ube port.JPG

Must be good fishing today
10 Ube port.JPG

The airline is Starflyer

I need to stop in and see if they fly to Okinawa. I wonder how much a round trip cost from Ube, and whether I can load a bicycle on .

Don't think they do. Cheapest way is probably fly from Hiroshima and send your bike by courier service. Ask ANA about bikes and cheapest flights. Okinawa is really appealing about now.

Don't think they do. Cheapest way is probably fly from Hiroshima and send your bike by courier service. Ask ANA about bikes and cheapest flights. Okinawa is really appealing about now.

I want to get out this summer and ride and ride and ride. My concern is of course this virus and riding the trains for up to 6 hours . Not sure if it is a wise thing to do?

In Japan traveling in daylight with a mask, you could also get run over by a truck riding your bike, get out and enjoy the ride. Train and ferry from Kagoshima more expensive?

In Japan traveling in daylight with a mask, you could also get run over by a truck riding your bike, get out and enjoy the ride. Train and ferry from Kagoshima more expensive?

I think the ferry runs about 12000 yen one way, but I have to recheck on the price again.

I want to get out this summer and ride and ride and ride. My concern is of course this virus and riding the trains for up to 6 hours . Not sure if it is a wise thing to do?

I'm puzzled why you need to ride the trains for up to six hours if your goal is to ride, ride, and ride.

Hop a local train to Kokura (a little over an hour from Ube, and about ¥1000), and all of Kyushu will be open to you.

I'm puzzled why you need to ride the trains for up to six hours if your goal is to ride, ride, and ride.

Hop a local train to Kokura (a little over an hour from Ube, and about ¥1000), and all of Kyushu will be open to you.
Yes, that is true. I just checked out the ferries to Okinawa, seems like one needs a month reservation. Also the trip is 25 hours long and in the sleeping quarters, closeness seems to rule. Going to have to cancel that one out now.

What are your thoughts of riding around Shikoku Island? I think I take the train to Yanai and then catch the ferry. Have to check into that now.

They fly to Naha from Kitakyushu from June to September or October. I think it's about 8,000 one way if you book in advance.

Thanks. Seems like now its going to be Shikoku. Although the 8000 yen is not bad price, but after hearing what another member says, Shikoku should fit the bill for 2 weeks of cycling there. If you are any where in the area in July, let me know. I hope there is a lot of free camping there also.

Many moons ago I cycled and camped in the Iiya Valley in Shikoku on the strength of Alex Kerr's 'Lost Japan' book.

Just a quick google search:

Probably much more info out there if you are interested.

Andy

Many moons ago I cycled and camped in the Iiya Valley in Shikoku on the strength of Alex Kerr's 'Lost Japan' book.

Just a quick google search:

Probably much more info out there if you are interested.

Andy

Thanks Andy. I'll keep ya posted. Any other tips on Shikoku would be nice too.

I've done several trips in Shikoku - always group rides, always in Golden Week, and always staying at ryokan/minshuku rather than camping. But in general the place is empty and a friend from the area says there are thousands of abandoned barns and farmhouses where shelter can be easily found.

Highlights for me are Shimanami-kaidō/Tobishima-kaidō island-hopping. Imabari castle is really interesting if you like castles. And the wonderful meandering Shimantō river - the key to enjoying this river for me is to ignore tunnels wherever possible and instead follow the old path along the riverbank.

JR Shikoku staff are real sticklers for the rule about every part of the bicycle being covered.

Our past touring routes are shown on the map below. If you want more detail you can get it all from the veloviewer link in my signature.

Screen Shot 2020-06-28 at 10.18.33.png

I've done several trips in Shikoku - always group rides, always in Golden Week, and always staying at ryokan/minshuku rather than camping. But in general the place is empty and a friend from the area says there are thousands of abandoned barns and farmhouses where shelter can be easily found.

Highlights for me are Shimanami-kaidō/Tobishima-kaidō island-hopping. Imabari castle is really interesting if you like castles. And the wonderful meandering Shimantō river - the key to enjoying this river for me is to ignore tunnels wherever possible and instead follow the old path along the riverbank.

JR Shikoku staff are real sticklers for the rule about every part of the bicycle being covered.

Our past touring routes are shown on the map below. If you want more detail you can get it all from the veloviewer link in my signature.

View attachment 20471
hey thanks a lot I'll check it outsorry if I made any mistakes you I'm on a telephone I've never never posted on the telephone before using sound

Back
Top Bottom