What's new

"Adventurous Cyclist", the fun of cycling in Japan, my adventures

Here's some current pictures. Biking times now await us all. I wonder though if campsites will open up this summer?

I may have posted this in the past, but its my favorite stop to meditate a bit on life in Japan.

1 temple.JPG

Hey got to have some chips!

2 bike.JPG

3 stream.JPG
Hmm. got to check my recent pictures.
3 stream.JPG

Sign says the wild boars will have you for lunch if you are not careful with your lunch lol
45  lunch time.jpg

Got to chat with this lady, very friendly. She was picking some kind of edible grass that looks like a sea horse, maybe you guys know. It 's only on the ground for a few days and then disappears. You can make tempura with it.
47 farmer lady.jpg

48 lunch with table.jpg

Well, what you know, AC has got his own little private eating area. Nice neighbors indeed!
48 lunch with table.jpg

Time to head back
49 bike w sunset.jpg

No more alcohol for AC. Problem is, this stuff taste so good. 100 yen at Costmos
50 snack time.jpg

Attachments

• 46 lunch time.jpg
    46 lunch time.jpg
    357.4 KB · Views: 5
Good harbingers of warmer temperatures are zenmai and taranome tempura. The latter I love with lemon juice and chili flakes .

Wow! I thought only us country folks knew about wild zenmai. So it must grow all over Japan then?

Yes, but I think it is more common in the north, Tohoku. In Tokyo, it is quite expensive....

I saw them in the grocery store also. Looks like they were more domestically grown. The wild ones are skinny and not as tall.

bamboo sprouts too which leads a lot of elderly into the forests in spring to send fresh products to Tokyo for good money. Unfortunately bears are also foraging in the same area at the same time.

Here bamboo shoots are common, just have to watch out for the inoshishi.

Last edited:
Some cherry blossoms the other day.
These pictures are in Ube, about 5 minutes from the house. Below are the rice and wheat fields. Usually there are lots of people having lunch under the cherry blossoms , but this year only a few showed up. Taken April 25, 2020 I think.
12  cherry blossom.JPG13 Cherry blossom.JPG15 cherry blossom.JPG14 cherry blossom.JPG17 cherry blossom.JPG

Well on June 11th I hopped on the bike and took some pictures.
The pictures are not in order, but contain Ube Airport in Yamaguchi ken. Ube sea port and pictures of the fishing village.
I never been to the Airport since they remolded it and I got to say it sure is nice. Next time I go I want to go inside. I did notice that in 4 hours only 2 planes arrived. Ube serves only route to Tokyo. Just back and forth all day for the pilots. Before the virus killed all types of business the airport was always busy till 9 pm. Now it looks like a dead zone.
Here are some pictures. Enjoy!

This is where they clean the fish and seems like the owners live in the house behind it.
1 fishing dock.JPG

Looks like a mini junkyard.
2  fishing dock.JPG

I come here often to have lunch in the sun and watch the fisherman return in from their morning catches.

3 fishing dock.JPG

I always wonder how clean their kitchens are. LOL
4 fishing dock.JPG

Lots of boats on this dock.
5 fishing dock.JPG

I wonder how much these boats cost.
6 fishing dock.JPG

A better close up picture
7 fishing dock.JPG

Day off for the fisherman
8 fishing dock.JPG

Hey! Who's bike is that ? LOL
9 fishing dock.JPG

I'll post more pictures later . Stay tune.

thanks for the pics. I'm amazed at just how much all these fishing ports and small towns by the sea look alike, all over Japan. I've seen places just like this down Miura peninsula, or down in south Izu etc etc

I've been to Shimane prefecture also and the fishing villages are amazing. Seasonal fish at the restaurants are not so expensive too. I often though I'd ask if I could help out on a boat, but during the summer it is really too hot just to jump in and give a helping hand. Since I live just minutes away from many small fishing villages, what I find most amazing is the fishing shrines. At them shrines one can find full and unopened bottles of sake as a token for a safe fishing trip on the open seas. Pretty cool. Maybe I'll see some shrines on my next adventure.

OK, here are some more pictures of June 11th. The above pictures are of Ube fishing docks. These pictures are of Ube Airport. This is Yamaguchi ken. We have the airport, 2 train stations, fairly good bus routes and taxis. We also have 2 shinkansen station here, and not far from each other which is really strange. Politics had a hand in this one.

Yep! No planes yet. This airport is fairly large.
1 ube airport.JPG

Hey, I can see a plane. Wasn't able to take it while it was landing. I think the small street is a security street.
2 Ube airport.JPG

While waiting for departures, one can enjoy the view and have a little picnic . Sometimes you'll see families here having a Sunday picnic.
3 Ube airport.JPG

More pictures of the viewing grounds.
5 Ube airport.JPG

Nice how they spend money. Oh, wow, my bike made the picture. lol
6 Ube airport.JPG

A better close up picture
7 Ube airport.JPG

This is where you get to see the planes9 Ube airport.JPG

Plane viewing
8 Ube airport.JPG

The gardeners sure do maintain it nice
11 Ube airport.JPG
10 Ube airport.JPG

Can only attach 10 pictures. Here are more of the airport.

12 Ube airport.JPG

Nice to bum around the airport
13 Ube airport.JPG

This is a walking and jogging area
14 Ube airport.JPG

You sit here and feed the sparrows and watch what few planes now fly

15 Ube airport.JPG

Time to take the shoes off and have lunch
16 Ube airport.JPG

Nice to have a bike and enjoy the day
18 Ube airport.JPG

Low tide
19 Ube airport.JPG

Here are a few more pictures of Ube Airport Yamaguchi ken I took on June 11, 2020
This picture gives a better view of the runway
20 Ube airport.JPG

Here you can see some people jogging. No planes yet. Is this really an airport ?
21 Ube airport.JPG

Hey guys ! We finally get to see an airplane. I think it is about to take off. Hey! Where's the plane ? Is a bike now a plane?23 Ube airport.JPG

Here's the plane.
22 Ube airport.JPG

The patrol car goes all around the airport before the plane takes off. I guess they do that to chase away the "zombies". Yep! We really have zombies here.
24 Ube airport.JPG

Wow! Getting ready for take off
25 Ube airport.JPG

Well, I wish I was on this plane going to Okinawa, but the planes only go to Tokyo
26 Ube airport.JPG

Don't know this airline ?
28 Ube airport.JPG
close up
27 Ube airport.JPG

Good by Ube
29 Ube airport.JPG

Back
Top Bottom