What's new

"Adventurous Cyclist", the fun of cycling in Japan, my adventures

you can ride there over a bridge but it's 142kms away. Maybe next year?

I wonder if I can take a train up there from Ube. Also, is the campsite on the north side of the island open in Sept or Oct?

We went there by car and camped at Yanai. The beach is nice, but the water gets deep real fast.
This is something I'd like to challenge, but I'm having a hard time on getting any info on the island in general.
By the way, do you live anywhere near the island?

no mate I live in Aomori the other end of Honshu .
Re: campsites, I usually just go and if the campsite is closed then it's a safe bet :: if you pitched your tent in an out of the way place towards dusk and packed up at dawn, no one would complain, doubt they would ever see you. If they do, just play ignorant and say you arrived too late and had nowhere to stay. end of season camping is the best time. Not crowded and locals are usually more relaxed,

Well today, it is cleaning and waxing the bike. I'm not sure if Giant uses a primer before the finish coat, but luckily the missing paint from the debris didn't hit my glasses.
Today I cleaned my bike with also this wax. Came out ok I think, but rain is in the air now.

clean wax bike.JPG

Got to have a few beers when out cycling on a hot day.
218 2 beers for biking.JPG

So it's Nov. 11 on a Sunday. What should we do? Well, we hop the train for about 1030 yen each, one way and go to Mojiko, Kita Kyushu. https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attract...ion-Kitakyushu_Fukuoka_Prefecture_Kyushu.html
Here are some pictures. I don't know how to upload on the android which has a lot more of the festival that was going on. But here are a few.
Leaving the train, many Chinese tourist today
2 mojiko station.JPG

well, she looks happy

enjoying the station.JPG

A better picture
entering mojiko station.JPG

I've never been to Starbucks. Funny that they would have it at the train station. Disappointed not only with the coffee and cake, but the tradition of the station itself. You'll find no McD's or Kentucky Fried Chicken here, but Starbucks, screw them. Over price muddy water they call coffee.

entrance  Starbucks.JPG

this is crasy , a family mart at this station, we were here when it was a real station, now, it sucks big time

family mart inside station.JPG

front of the station

front entrance mojiko station.JPG

ringing the bell mojiko station.JPG

Kids enjoy this, ringing the old train bell
old water fountain at station.JPG
ticket booth
ticket booth.JPG

After cycling all day, this is on the dinner table tonight.
DSCN4616.JPGDSCN4617.JPG

Going to Costco tomorrow. 11-29-19
To go to Costco, we have to take a train ride, one way is about an hour and 20 minutes. Costco this time will be our Christmas present for us here. We also have to take the taxi to and from Costco to the nearby train station. Not sure what I'll buy , but I always buy the mixed nuts and them cookies.
Also the hotdogs and coke for 180 yen I think. We really don't use the membership but maybe 2 times a year, but we are long time members . I understand that Hiroshima has a Costco?
Well to do this and buy stuff is like a 4 day holiday in Okinawa. I would rather go to Okinawa, but the wife says NO. Damn it. LOL

She'd rather stay home and paint the house. LOL
yoko paint.JPG

I haven't posted anything recently, but I'm still cycling . Did take a spill hiking on Jan. 28. 4 trips to the hospital. Doing fine now. Sure is really unusual weather these days. Should have a few pictures to post for my first ride of the year.

Well, I finally uploaded a few pictures of my first bike ride of the year. Got to say it was January 2nd. LOL Time sure is flying by so fast this year. Got a few rust signs now appearing on my bike. Dang...
Here are a few pictures.
This is one of the bigger shrines. We are starting to see video cameras now at these sites, not going to stop people from doing bad, but might help catch them
1 temple.JPG

Yep! My John Deere bag and chips
2 bike.JPG
I have no idea why the farmers made this

3 stream.JPG

Well, got to say the farmers make good use of their land
5 country garden.JPG

Real country biking here folks
6 bike.JPG

Well, this is it
H9 bike w shinkansen.JPG

Got to have lunch, right
8 my lunch.JPG

It was a fun day out. Can't wait till doing some more biking.

If you keep your bike outside, you might be interested in this cover I got on Amazon. It was inexpensive and has been pretty hard wearing.

Doppelganger Bike Cover
thanks, currently I keep it indoors, but a few times out biking it started to rain, I think that is what caused it, not happy at seeing rust at all though, again, thanks

thanks, currently I keep it indoors, but a few times out biking it started to rain, I think that is what caused it, not happy at seeing rust at all though, again, thanks
I got rained on a few times last summer and I have noticed the screws near the headset/stem have rusted a bit. I'm thinking about getting some titanium screws for my bike sooner or later to avoid that happening again. I also forgot to oil my chain once after cleaning it and it got really rusty the next day!

I'll check with the bike shop owner and see what he recommends. I don't really want to see rust on this bike. Its not a 200 dollar bike.

Your Bike frame is made of aluminum and won't rust.
So parts that might rust are badically screws (if made of steel), cables, drive train.
To stop those parts from rusting you need to protect them from contact with water. Grease and oil will help you to do so.
You also could change screws to stainless or titanium if you're really worried. But some surface rust on screw heads isn't too bad and often can be prevented by a small drip of oil. That counts for exposed cables as well. Cleaning and lubrication will take care of your drive train.
One thing you might want to keep an eye on is that screws don't seize up. Often some grease works out here.
In general Japan has a humid and climate and salty air from the sea. Things rust/corrode.

Your Bike frame is made of aluminum and won't rust.
So parts that might rust are badically screws (if made of steel), cables, drive train.
To stop those parts from rusting you need to protect them from contact with water. Grease and oil will help you to do so.
You also could change screws to stainless or titanium if you're really worried. But some surface rust on screw heads isn't too bad and often can be prevented by a small drip of oil. That counts for exposed cables as well. Cleaning and lubrication will take care of your drive train.
One thing you might want to keep an eye on is that screws don't seize up. Often some grease works out here.
In general Japan has a humid and climate and salty air from the sea. Things rust/corrode.

Thanks, I'll add a few drops of oil today on them. Be waxing the bike also. Nice weather here today in Yamaguchi. Spring has arrived.

Was out cycling today. Here is a few pictures . Its a blast from the past. Notice the price of cokes and the junk on the ground. Very old style. There was this very, very old wooden market and rice storage place there and they tore it down. I got there too late to take the pictures. I think the place was a ww2 shack from the past. Funny how the price market was still readable.

IMG-20200330-WA0001.jpg

IMG-20200330-WA0003.jpg

IMG-20200330-WA0005.jpg

IMG-20200330-WA0007.jpg

Back
Top Bottom