What's new

"Adventurous Cyclist", the fun of cycling in Japan, my adventures

Not something to do right away but something to shoot for in the next year or two: would definitely recommend a lower weight tent. I used to do some extensive backpacking in the Pacific NW and tent weight was one of the key elements. There are several books out there that I remember seeing/friends had that were all about how to reduce weight. If you are solo riding with that gear (others already recommended panniers), you can get a bivy sack or a 1 man ultra light tent that will save you significant weight. Probably way more than the weight of bringing some ground beans and a portable french press =)

Not something to do right away but something to shoot for in the next year or two: would definitely recommend a lower weight tent. I used to do some extensive backpacking in the Pacific NW and tent weight was one of the key elements. There are several books out there that I remember seeing/friends had that were all about how to reduce weight. If you are solo riding with that gear (others already recommended panniers), you can get a bivy sack or a 1 man ultra light tent that will save you significant weight. Probably way more than the weight of bringing some ground beans and a portable french press =)

I bought that tent when I had the scooter, but yes, it is a bit on the heavy side. Not real heavy though. Next year I'll ask about tents, a pound saved is a lot I think.

As a credit card traveler, I've never used a tent, but if I was in the market for one I'd also be thinking of these:

The obvious downside is that you can't use them in open areas. But I think they'd be fine for wild(er) camping. And since you can sit in them, maybe you could skip bringing your chair.

My nephew went the hammock route when he was touring in Japan. Always seemed to be able to find a place to pitch it. Hammock and a tarp is all you likely need outside of winter.

Hi guys.
Well, I made it to Shimane Prefecture, but due to the weather, rain, rain and more rain. I did want to get up to Tottori Pref. Always kept raining.
The part of this trip goes with my name here. I've waited many years to this and I had reasons that I could not do it, so I took the plunge, bought a new bike and with your guys helping out, plus a really good bike shop owner, it was finally coming the time to live my dream. Wife said go, so I had no guilt feelings of selfishness. Plus after all these years, I finally had some yen in my pocket. A very long story there that I wouldn't want anyone to have to bear.
So to make a long story short, it rained. I could have bought a canopy, but I didn't bring my rain coat or a poncho. So staying in a tent on rainy days, well, you guys know the story.
Here are some pictures. I'm 66 and I got to admit, I'm glad I was in fairly good shape, because carrying a bike and cart up and down the train stairs, wow. Did I sweat.
Enjoy the pictures, not many due to the lousy weather.

Packing up the night before leaving, didn't want to bring a rain coat to lessen the weight
0.1 getting ready to leave.JPG

All packed, sardines, crackers and all. LOL
0.2 packed.JPG

Arrived at Ube station about 1 hour before the train came. Unpacked and loaded on the cart. Got the bike bag down pretty good, not much of a problem after 3 tries
0.3 at the train station.JPG

Waiting for the 6 am train. Those are the stairs I climb up and down.
0.5 waiting for the train  morning.JPG

Do I buy a morning coffee? Nope!
0.4  vending machines.JPG

A picture of a countryside station, well kept, but I don't think there was a station master working
0.6 country train station.JPG

Some countryside in Yamaguchi
0.7 country side Yamaguchi.JPG

These are some houses next to the Sea of Japan. So close to each other
0.8 country housing along the ocean.JPG

Another station in Yamaguchi
0.9 train station  unknown.JPG

Inside the country train, 2 cars I think. Bike is against the wall
0.10 inside of train.JPG

Some more pictures.

Clock at the beach and campground
0.11 the clock at the camp site.JPG

This was at the campsite, had to secure the bike for the night
0.11 securing the bike.JPG

Campsite got full
0.12 camp site w tents.JPG
Another area of the park
0.13. campsite 1.JPGThe beach, due to the typhoon the wave were big
0.14 Iwami Seaside Park.JPG

Another picture of the beach
0.15 Iwami Seaside Park.JPG

If you are hungry. Beer is 500 yen. Food was about 500 yen
0.18 beach cafe.JPG

Beach later in the evening
0.16 Iwami Seaside Park.JPG

Lots of sand
0.17 Iwami Seaside Park.JPG

Closed up
0.19 beach cafe.JPG

A few more pictures
Iwami Seaside Park , Shimane Prefecture The beach is popular with the military from Iwakuni.
0.20 the sign.JPG

Play area
0.21 grassland beach.JPG

These waves were pretty high, they sounded nice crashing in at night time
0.22  high waves.JPG
Really couldn't get a good sunset picture
0.23  sunset.JPG

Can you see the hawk in the tree
0.25 hawk in tree.JPG

Ocean view
0.26 ocean view.JPG

Packed up, camping was cut short due to the up coming rain, bottom of the train station
0.27  leaving at train station.JPG

It was so hot, I was drenched with sweat
0.28 leaving at train station.JPG

This was the station in Iwami area
0.29 Kushiro train station.JPG

Some more pictures

Attach files
Waiting for the train, boy, did I make a mistake. A fast train came zipping by and I thought for sure it was going to take everything with it. Got lucky. I learned a lesson, keep stuff away from the line
0.31 waiting for the train.JPG

Small station
0.30 view Kushiro station.JPG

Had to walk up this hill to the station. Wonder how the old folks do it
0.32  walked up this hill.JPG

Houses at the bottom of the station
0.34  houses near the station.JPG
Rice fields
0.37 rice fields.JPG

Countryside living

0.38 countryside living.JPG

This is country
0.41  tracks at Kushiro station.JPG

Just waiting for the train
0.48 packed to aboard the train.JPG

On the train now
0.49 ocean view.JPG

stormy weather
0.52 ocean view.JPG

Well, I had fun I guess. Lots of work, but I got to finally do what I wanted to do.
I'm glad I didn't go down to Miyazaki, would have been too hot.

I hope you enjoyed the pictures.

Glad to hear you made it! Rain is tough especially when there's no dry room to go back to. It's a good call to stay put rather than get soaked.

Glad to hear you made it! Rain is tough especially when there's no dry room to go back to. It's a good call to stay put rather than get soaked.

Thanks very much. It was a learning experience for this old man, but as I write this, I do have a smile on my face. Got to have challenges in life.

Well done. First adventure completed. What's next now that the worst of summer is over.

Well if i have the money, I want to "revisit" an island, but until I get some money saved, I'll just dream some now.
Yes, it was an adventure for me and there is a reason why I said "adventure". Wife has had a solid grip on me all these years, and freedom, hmm, but anyway that's life in Japan for me.
I'll keep ya posted.

Nice photos from your trip!
Thanks Stu
Wish the weather would have be better. Did get to see some kick ass waves from the left over typhoon. Well, I'll let you know when I'm on the road again.

yes traveling can be expensive but from Ube you can go North South and East without the need to pay for transport. Maybe take a slow ride to Yashiro Island, camp there and turn around for a a starter? Take care and keep riding!

I'm going to have to check in about Yashiro Island. I'll let you know what I find out. Hope it isn't too far and the train gets close with the ferry. Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom