What's new

"Adventurous Cyclist", the fun of cycling in Japan, my adventures

I'm only now noticing this thread of yours. nice pictures and adventures you got going here. just out of curiosity, why were you not able to renew your drivers licence in the 1st place?

I'm only now noticing this thread of yours. nice pictures and adventures you got going here. just out of curiosity, why were you not able to renew your drivers licence in the 1st place?

luka, on April 22 of this year, my dream of buying a motor cycle came to an end. I've had a restricted license although "gold license" I wasn't able to pass a test with no restrictions on my license. The law in Japan is very strict, but they do give some lenency , but it wasn't going to fly with me. To complicated and involved the police agency and another govt. agency that has control over my legal stay here. So I lost my driver license in a state of OK, just take them.
So now I'm back to cycling .
Thanks for asking though.

getting my camping stuff together.155  tent one.JPG156 tent two.JPG157 tent three.JPG

Well, this is my bike with my travel/camping gear.
Tent
Sleeping bag
Chair
Hand carrier/wheels (travel folding type) I'll put my stuff on it while climbing up the train stairs and store it next to the bike while on the train
Kinko bukuro train bag carrier
Rain coat

I'll have a back pack with stuff in it and also a waist belt with small supplies in it. And some hard candy.
Might even buy a kite.

Well yesterday it got up to 36c and I realized that the weather in August might be too much at my age, so my plan of touring Kyushu and Okinawa will be postponed. Going to do a test camp this Friday near the house.

Then I'll take the train up to Shimane Prefecture and do some camping and sightseeing there.
https://www.japan.travel/en/spot/2321/ free camping
I camped there last year, very clean place. But further up the beach, it's trash for miles and miles. Japan needs to clean up these beaches.

158  bike  camp gear.JPG

You've got a rack, you need to get your weight down/lowered. (now that you've got time, get some bags/panniers)

The center of gravity is now above the top of your rack, and it needs to be below that (=goal).

Yes, something bulkier (and hopefully lighter) can be bungied on top, but get some bags (even cheapies) and fill those first.

You've got a rack, you need to get your weight down/lowered. (now that you've got time, get some bags/panniers)

The center of gravity is now above the top of your rack, and it needs to be below that (=goal).

Yes, something bulkier (and hopefully lighter) can be bungied on top, but get some bags (even cheapies) and fill those first.

OK, I'll check into some bags. Can you recommend something like on Amazon. I think the bike shop will have a high markup price on them.

You mention no chair... why is that? The one I bought is a folding type I got at Donkey Hotei. It's even kind of low and a bit uncomfortable. Cost like 800 yen. But I think I really need a chair.

August 2, 2019
Today I went to the bike shop for its first of 3 free inspections. I got to say he really checked out the bike really well. Found a loose wire wrapped around the axle. I picked it up while riding and didn't notice it.
He went over on changing a flat tube, both front and rear. He had a sample that he let me practice on. Got some good pointers on the rear change.
While I was there I asked about tubes and rear bags for the bike.
Although the inspections are free, I still spent some money.
I bought Presta (FV) IRC tire tube, expensive, yes. I was surprised that it too was made in China.
Although I didn't buy the plastic tire levers there, got them at Daiso.
I also order rear panniers/bags. Kind of expensive. Will get them in about a week.

Daiso special. :)

159  plastic levers.JPG

Presta (FV) IRC tire tube. A bit expensive.
160  Presta (FV) IRC tire tube.JPG

Well, today I did a trial "camping" here : https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attract...Sanyo_Onoda_Yamaguchi_Prefecture_Chugoku.html
This was just a trail run to test the bike and see what I need for camping (I know, but we always forget something). It was hot, about 36c today with no wind. The campsite really is nice and clean. Did lack paid showers though. Cost 300 yen a night. I think the price is fine. The check-in area has a gift shop and small dining area. They sell udon for 480 yen. A bit steep, but it sure was tasty.
Here are some pictures.

Arriving at the campsite
161 arrive at the site.JPG

Tent set up
162  tent set up.JPG

My style of camping
163 bike in front of tent.JPG

Evening picture "no bbq" tonight, just iwashi and crackers and water
164 evening picture.JPG

Beautiful morning sunrise, but where's the coffee, got to have the morning coffee. Next time I guess.
169  sunrise 3.JPG

Leaving now, have to pack the bike down the slope
170  leaving the site.JPG

Well, got to have some ice coffee and a little break . Must be 33c already in the morning. Heading back to the house now
171 ice coffee time.JPG

well done. Yep you need panniers if nothing more than lower the risk of ropes going into your rear gears or spokes.

I ordered them the other day. They look something like this: Amazon product ASIN B004889JOS
I had the bike shop order them from his material. Cost about 6400 yen. They aren't waterproof, but water resistant, something like that.
The sleeping bag did a little rubbing on the tire, but nothing serious after an adjustment.
Well, my next adventure is going here: Here's a video of what the place looks like. It's in Shimane Prefecture.

just use a thick plastic ゴミ bag as a liner and the waterproofing is not needed.

Thanks, I'm going to take you up on that idea.

This is what I'm looking forward to. Just came across this. I guess you all here know James Hobbs, but I didn't till today.

So I went cycling on the 12th of August. Here are some pictures.

Low tide at Ube beach Yamaguchi Pref.
204  break time at the beach.JPG

Wind surfing. Got to chat with this guy. From Kita Kyushu and came all the way to Ube to wind surf.
203  Kyushu guy  setting up surf sailing.JPG

Low tide Ube beach Yamaguchi Pref.
199  low tide  Ube  Yamaguchi.JPG

Lunch time at a shrine
198 lunch time temple.JPG

One of the largest shrines with land in Ube that I know of. Next to the beach.
194  temple entry.JPG

busy ramen house
194  ramen house.JPG

Here's a few more pictures.
Koi fish in a stream
193 koi fish.JPG

People buying flowers for Oboon
191  Oboon flowers.JPG

Fence to keep the wild pigs from eating the rice
190  fence to keep inoshishi out.JPG

This was fun going downhill
189 going down.JPG

Not so much fun walking up in 34c weather
188 walking up.JPG

houses out in the country
187 countryside houses.JPG

Beer break. I think this is Korean beer?
185 beer break.JPG

Train station
183 countryside train station.JPG

My lunch, beer, chicken liver and rice
182 my lunch.JPG

Back
Top Bottom