What's new

"Adventurous Cyclist", the fun of cycling in Japan, my adventures

Sometimes l am ask what does food cost when traveling in Japan that people follow this tread, but are not members , so l try to post cost, Morning breakfast today about 60 yen.
bread
shijimi miso soup

DSC_0333.JPG

2,000 yen for just a tent site,ouch but like you said, peak season.
If you go south to Chiba there are plenty of beaches my nephew slept at for free but perhaps stealth camping is not in your wheelhouse. He traveled light and fast.
hunker down for the typhoon, might get wet.
have you got a place with a solid roof you can escape to?
maybe grab a spot before they are all gone. good luck

l just read, typhoon direct hit. Will do some emergency packing and look for coin laundry to wait out the storm. l don't think they have shelter here at campsite.
l intend to go north to Fukushima and most likely stealth camping or if i find free camp.

August 13, Saturday
Typhoon wind and rain came and gone in 10 minutes. No damage.
Went to Aqua World in Oarai。I highly recommed it.
Here are some pitures. In the evening started to pack for a 112 km ride to Chiba.will post picts later , phone is scewing up.

l went to Aqua Worl d In Oarai. I didn't have an advance ticket but they let me in. 2000 yen. Well worth it
DSC_0374.JPGDSC_0385.JPGDSC_0383.JPGDSC_0390.JPGDSC_0389.JPGDSC_0387.JPGDSC_0375.JPGDSC_0391.JPGDSC_0380.JPG

Last edited:
more picturesDSC_0348.JPGDSC_0346.JPGDSC_0345.JPGDSC_0349.JPGDSC_0339.JPGDSC_0342.JPGDSC_0366.JPGDSC_0336.JPG

August 11 Thursday to August 14 Monday
Oarai campground.
On the way to Chiba ken.DSC_0402.JPGDSC_0398.JPGDSC_0405.JPGDSC_0406.JPGmade some fried rice
DSC_0395.JPGDSC_0404.JPGDSC_0401.JPG

Attachments

• DSC_0394.JPG
    DSC_0394.JPG
    123.2 KB · Views: 4
more picts
DSC_0396.JPGDSC_0393.JPGDSC_0395.JPG

August 15 and morning 16 Tuesday
there maybe some repeats of these pictures.
DSC_0413.JPG
l stopped at store and ended up talking with a nice persin. He gave me these. I was most thankful.DSC_0407.JPGDSC_0408.JPGDSC_0409.JPGDSC_0414.JPGDSC_0411.JPGDSC_0410.JPG

August 16 Tuesday
Talked to a DSC_0419.JPGDSC_0421.JPGDSC_0418.JPGDSC_0416.JPGDSC_0417.JPGDSC_0415.JPGhusband and with with custom Harleys. cool people.
This is update for morning Tuesday August 16.

Now leaving Shirako Beach south, Chiba.

Oh my goodness.
DSC_0422.JPGDSC_0425.JPGDSC_0424.JPG

l am in Yokosuka at Mcds

Hi guys. As kiwisimon said, I got back home safe. I'm going to update this post as soon as possible, but in Yokohama I suffered from a mild case of heat exhaustion that lead to canceling my journey going south of Yokohama. Stay tune. Thanks guys.

Hi guys.
I haven't done an update on this blog for awhile. I'll start from some very old pictures of Ube, Yamaguchi -ken.
These pictures are around January 2009 or thereof.

This is your usual vending machine at a countryside farmers rice and vegetable growing area.

25.  countryside soda machine.JPG

This shrine is near Koto River in Ube. There is a dam on the river if one wants to take a google location shot. ( something I don't know how to do yet ) This shrine is very special to me. When my sister past away, this is the place I find comfort in knowing that, well...

24.  Ube country shrine.JPG

As you can see in the distance, that is the Shinkansen that goes to Shimonseki , Yamaguchi. This is a cabbage field. I often go cycling here and have lunch and watch the farmers do their thing. This was back in 2009. 13 years now have past and the area still looks the same today. The farmers to the best of my knowledge change the harvest from cabbage, to wheat and then to rice. I don't think they let the land bare on the 7th year. They also now use a spraying helicopter these days for spraying. I hate when I plan to have lunch that afternoon.
23.  cabbage patch Ube.JPG
OK, I'll continue with more pictures following this new post here in December of 2022. ( wow, time has gone with the wind )

Continue with pictures of cycling in 2009

They man has a few expensive chickens here. Also since this picture is of 2009, he now raises goats and the chickens are gone.
1. Ube Jan.2009.JPG

OK, well I was wrong. He has got the goats together. They are friendly and will come up to you for you to give them some cabbage leaves.

T2. Ube Jan. 2009.JPGThis map3. Ube Jan. 2009.JPG4. Ube Jan 2009.JPG5. Ube Jan 2009.JPG

The map is a cycling map to Mine. It's about a 4 hour bike ride. there is a nice mountain to ride up to . LOL Going downhill is fun.

The ramen shop is very old and I think in the old days it was busy with the weekend travelers. These days not so busy. I've never eaten there yet so I don't know if the ramen is great. Although it probably is all homemade.

The last picture is a rice field. I think on this field the owner also grows eggplants on it.

Continuing in the year of 2009. Summertime riding around the countryside of Ube, Yamaguchi.

When I first cycling this route, this liquor store was the only drinking hole around. No 7-11's or Lawsons to be found or even heard of back then. I would stop here and get something to drink and usually one of them banana cream half pies for 100 yen. Really strange because now 2022 the same pie now is only 109 yen at Cosmos.
6. Ube Jan 2009 closed liquor store.JPG

This is / was the only ramen shop to be found along route 2 Yamaguchi for years. Its still open in 2022. I haven't eaten here yet.
7. Ube Jan 2009 country ramen shop.JPG

This Shrine is along route 2 in or around Koto town/train station, Yamaguchi. Like all Shrines, they seem to have a relationship with the village/area or some history in the area. I'm not versed in the history of this Shrine, but I think it one of the more visited ones on Japanese holidays.
9. Jan 2009 main entry to shrine.JPG

My cycling lunch on New Years Day 2009. Also a smoke break. At the time I think the smokes were 260 yen ? Maybe. Now 600 yen for a pack of smokes. I'll still smoke while out cycling, but in October of 2022 I decided to not buy cigarettes. How long will this last... don't know, I do like smoke breaks.
9.Jan 2009 lunch cig.JPG

Here is a close-up picture of that shrine.
12.  Jan 2009 Ube shrine.JPG

Some great woodwork craving on some of this wood.
14. Jan 2009 Ube shrine.JPG

Will continue more with the year of 2009.

OK, it seems like that is all the pictures I have starting and ending for 2009. I can't find any pictures for 2010, at least not yet anyway. So I'll move on to 2011.
Looks like not many pictures were taken for 2011.

This looks like it is in September. A cabbage patch. During harvest time, the cabbage comes on the market for about 100 yen or a little more. Off season, it will go up to 200 yen just for a half of cabbage.

cabbage land.JPG

Well, it's cosmos flower time. These flowers are usually planted around the farmer's garden out in the countryside. Very beautiful and so colorful.

cosmos flowers.JPG

Well, it's November now and this is a persimmon tree that is next to the Shrine up the slope. I guess 70 years ago, these trees were planted for a winter food source.

persimmon tree.JPG

It's now September and it is time to harvest the rice. This machine is shared among the few neighboring farmers, but mainly every farmer has its own machine.rice fall.JPG

Out in the countryside, one will find that the rice fields are much larger than what you find closer near the cities. This is where I go to have lunch and watch all sorts of nature among the rice fields. Actually, in this area, the farmers are NOT friendly at all. I don't think they trust a foreigner. LOL

rice field sept.JPG

Back
Top Bottom