What's new

Accidents & Insurance

Just renewed my 7-11 cycling insurance today.
Thought I'd bump this thread for those who don't yet have insurance or have forgotten to renew.

Thought I'd bump this thread for those who don't yet have insurance or have forgotten to renew.
Cheers for that.
A good reminder considering that for something so important it's easy to let slip.
Nowadays with all the dotty seniors(zombie army) along the bike paths strutting their stuff.I would say it
makes getting the 7-11 insurance even more of a no-brainer than before if that's possible!

Compared our extremely bloated Tokyo Marine plan with 7-11. Needless to say - 7-11 here I come! the additional premium charges for the life insurance don't hack it ( 18,000/yr). That notwithstanding, if TCC was an actual 'Cycling Club' with more than 20 members, it could get a very good rate on club insurance. Cie la vie.

Interesting timing, as I got a call from one of the nice ladies from the company administering the plan reminding me to renew mine also.

bump

Been thinking about adding to what I have, so have been reviewing this thread.

Hi guys.Any info on insurance out there covering both accidents and theft?
There is a ton of info in this thread, what exactly was the kind of info you wanted that wasn't covered in this thread? Do you want full insurance for liability caused by yourself in an accident? Do you want health insurance covering your bike accident. Being a little more specific will help you get more of a response and hi back. .

Edit: found the post on 7-11 insurance guide, will attempt to apply to that with an N4/3 level.

Is: プラン 1人(本人)型(補償を受けるのがあなた

The basic comprehensive insurance?

Last edited:
So I signed up for the 7/11 insurance, however when I was doing the payment I got stuck on the screen that had 5 options.

They read something like:
1:
  1. in case of death?
  2. in the case of being hospitalised
  3. in case of damages
  4. ???
  5. none of the above?

then there was an option below with
2:
  • Yes from this time?
  • No from next time?

You had to select one from each, I'm not entirely sure what that screen meant - can anyone elaborate that recently did it?

The total cost still came to 4160 so I guess it's fine?

I have that insurance, too. I've renewed three times I think.
Those screens are something I have never fully understood but never really spent too much time on them. If you change the option or say no you simply can't proceed so no matter what they are there for they amount to agreeing to a terms of service. Kind of, this is what you're paying for proceed or don't.

Unless you're on about different screens and I'm all sorts of wrong.

I remember something just asking you what you were most concerned about or what was most important to you about bicycle insurance coverage. As far as I recall it wasn't limiting you by what you choose. I actually grabbed the lady at 7-eleven and made her read everything out to me as I can't read much Japanese but can usually understand what's going on verbally.

I think the cover has changed recently and become much more limited on the 7-Eleven insurance, according to my wife when she read the renewal form. Caveat emptor!

Thanks for the help! That makes sense now. Good to have some cover, I didn't think there was such a thing until this week!

Hello,

I am reopening this thread to get a little bit more information about bike insurance here.

My situation is: I commute by bike (everyday). On week-end I bike for shopping. Occasionally I practice Hiking.

My first problem was to get protection for bike (in case of accident with a bystanders mostly).

Following information found here

http://www.asakusaguide.jp/blog/2012/05/about-bicycle-insurance.html

I was first planning to get AU insurance because it offers legal conselling and I was able to translate most of the "General Conditions".

11.460 JPY /per year 1050 per month (not that cheap though)

By doing a little more digging on your website I discovered the Montbell insurance.

This seems It could be much more expensive depending on the plan and but it also seems to cover more activity.

So I wanted to know if you could help me highlight what are the advantages of the Montbell compared to other stand insurance and why some of you chose it.

Thanks for your help.

Manu

I'd steer clear of the 7/11 one. I didn't need to use them after my accident but it turns out that if I had they are pretty useless. There is no legal counsel offered at all and they don't cover you unless you are admitted to hospital.

Hello,

I have finally registered to AU as well. I was not so able to see the real benefits of montbell for me.

Thanks all for your feedback.

Emmanuel

Last edited:
I think the cover has changed recently and become much more limited on the 7-Eleven insurance, according to my wife when she read the renewal form. Caveat emptor!
More info,please.
I'm using this policy and don't want to be left in the lurch if the shit hits the you know what....or should that be the other way around?

I'd steer clear of the 7/11 one. I didn't need to use them after my accident but it turns out that if I had they are pretty useless. There is no legal counsel offered at all and they don't cover you unless you are admitted to hospital.
But if they cover all the liability and the Hospital cost, if you got any, this should be enough right? And why would you need a legal consul if the parties would be only dealing with the insurance company to begin with?

I cannot foresee all the possible situations that may occur but these services were once part of the cover and are now not. I would rather have them included.
Before I had my accident I went for what I thought was the best price. It was better to have any kind of cover than none. And while that's true I am now after the most comprehensive plan as long as it isn't ridiculously priced.

Back
Top Bottom