What's new

Accidents & Insurance

There is always the one from 7-eleven, cheap and cover most stuff. The coverage doesn't help with lawyer or much with hospitals, so people tend to prefer the au the has a better coverage for not so much more money.

There is always the one from 7-eleven, cheap and cover most stuff. The coverage doesn't help with lawyer or much with hospitals, so people tend to prefer the au the has a better coverage for not so much more money.
Yeah I went with 7-11 last year, but upgraded to the AU. Worth it for the price difference and how much I ride.

As for insuring the bike, which I think he's interested in, you might want to look into other insurance schemes like homeowners or something. I do know if I get clipped by a car and there is damage to my bike, they will be shelling out to fix or replace it. Usually the case when something bigger hits something smaller.

Yeah, I am thinking more (maybe unreasonably) of a non-vehicular accident, maybe even my fault. Say "going around a corner, slipping on ice, crashing into other riders, everyone crashing into a concrete pillar" - that type of stuff. Could be out-of-pocket for a hundreds of thousands of yen.

Yeah, I am thinking more (maybe unreasonably) of a non-vehicular accident, maybe even my fault. Say "going around a corner, slipping on ice, crashing into other riders, everyone crashing into a concrete pillar" - that type of stuff. Could be out-of-pocket for a hundreds of thousands of yen.
Well you won't get that with the AU plan.

I have a very expensive custom, and also another less expensive I use for inclement weather, group rides or when I know I will be riding where there is debris etc. on the road. You might be better off investing in a 2nd bike for those specific purposes and to lessen your worry when you go out.

In Japan if you crash in someone, even if they are in their bikes, your bike tag might be your smaller issue. Also, there are lots of people (in and out of bikes) that don't bike much attention to their surrounding, also lots go into roads without looking. So if you are a reasonable raider, and happens to get in a hit, it probably will involve people.

In Japan if you crash in someone, even if they are in their bikes, your bike tag might be your smaller issue. Also, there are lots of people (in and out of bikes) that don't bike much attention to their surrounding, also lots go into roads without looking. So if you are a reasonable raider, and happens to get in a hit, it probably will involve people.
I hear that she is a good raider ;)

IMG_5400.JPG

In a bicycle vs. motorized vehicle accident, the responsibility is almost always higher on the driver's side, but rarely completely on the driver's side. Will cycling insurance cover the portion of the cyclist responsibility ? Does anybody have such experience ?

Hi Manu,

welcome to the forum!

I don't know about Montbell, but I have taken out au-Sonpo's Gold policy and can highly recommend it. I commute almost every day too and had a nasty accident in March in which I damaged a car. AU took care of everything, even offered legal counsel. It was worth every penny in my case.

=> http://www.au-sonpo.co.jp/pc/bycle/index.html

Does sompo still offer bike insurance?
I had my scooter policy with them, but now I canceled it. No longer have the scooter. Problem was no one at the main sompo office spoke English.

Back
Top Bottom