What's new

Accidents & Insurance

Umm I see this is an important point indeed, but what kind of insurance you have now @Musashi13 ?. @dastott Was this the only change in the insurance? I am planning the 7-eleven as a liability only insurance, so it should still be fine.

Sorry to revisit this old chestnut but my insurance is up for renewal in a month or so.
I used JCA for a long time and I've used the 7-11 one for the last few years,but I recall someone on here saying that the 7-11 plan wasn't as comprehensive as it seemed at first.
Does anyone have any recommendations?

Many thanks or the quick reply.
Any idea how much it cost?
I jumped through the hoops to get at a price for me and the family. 134,950円 for two years. Rather more than the "from 880 yen/month" that they bait you with.

I jumped through the hoops to get at a price for me and the family. 134,950円 for two years. Rather more than the "from 880 yen/month" that they bait you with.
Cheers for that.
Seems a bit expensive but I guess you get what you pay for.
I think we paid about ¥15,000 a year for 2 adults and 1 kid with 7-11.

Same as @GrantT

Made the move in December. Far more cover and puts the wife at ease. The extra cost is worth my good lady's lower blood pressure each time I carry my bike down the stairs and head out into the circus.
Recent events only make this issue more poignant.

I was "ordered" to get insurance if I wanted to continue commuting by bike, so this thread was useful, as was this page in Japanese. Have decided on Sonpo's Bycle [bikl?], and am now down to choosing various types of it (ordinary or "best", silver or gold etc.)

Anyone here with any experience about their actual work (how long until the tow truck arrives, do they answer the phone on Sun morning at 5 am etc)?

Sorry to bump this thread but my previous insurance has now expired and, with the seriousness of my accident in February, I found my last insurance to be lacking.

I am now thinking of going with the silver or gold AU Sonpo insurance, I've taken a look at their page already for general info, but wondered what anyone's experience of it was (have you had to claim against it, what did it cover in terms of you and your bike, etc) and which plan you went for?

My 'Airlink' insurance covered a relatively nominal sum for surgery and it was one surgery only (I needed 3 surgeries in total) and then JPY6,000 per day for hospitalisation.

Thinking @GrantT given recent events..

Also, seems @luka , @Musashi13 et al use the same insurance.

Yeah, I use AU Sonpo's Bycle Gold (not Bycle Best note). Only been with them for several months and still didn't have to claim anything thankfully, but the gold course should cover according to the form below:

無題.png

Don't really know much else...

Yes, i got to get onto this now its getting into winter and I'll be doing the predawn trip down to the river...

AU Sonpo Bycle doesn't cover accidents that happen at races or events, while AU Sonpo Bycle Best does. I had AU Sonpo Bycle when I got my injury, and gave the game away when I first went to the doctor and mentioned it happened at a race. So, I don't really know what it is like to use my insurance yet.

AU Sonpo Bycle doesn't cover accidents that happen at races or events, while AU Sonpo Bycle Best does. I had AU Sonpo Bycle when I got my injury, and gave the game away when I first went to the doctor and mentioned it happened at a race. So, I don't really know what it is like to use my insurance yet.

Is your understanding that it would cover bike and equipment if it had covered you?

Sorry to hear you couldn't claim on it.

A little late, but just wanted to let folks know that there are some pretty reasonable priced bike insurance plans. One from 7/11 which is cheap and not a whole lot of coverage, but better than nothing - 3,900 yen. I had this one for this last year.

Now I am riding a lot more, both road and commute and with a family I decided to pay for the AU plan at 9,600 yen for the year and get a lot more coverage and service.
Ironically, I have been in-between coverage until today and have had a few close calls. Prior to that none! What do you call that? Oh right, Murphy's Law!

http://www.au-sonpo.co.jp/pc/bycle/

Anyway, do others get bike insurance?

Hi All,
I am looking for some insurance, but would really like some to insurance to also cover the cost of the "Million Yen Carbon Wonder" if it is involved in a accident - all the plans I have looked at seem not to include this - any ideas?

Back
Top Bottom