What's new

Accident report

Bruno BQ

Maximum Pace
Mar 9, 2015
While commuting yesterday a women on a mamachari rode into the road without looking just to stop in my front. Braked, skipped, maybe got some of her wheel and I went to the floor. She was completely safe.

Got a cracked arm and some bruises. Helmet was helpful as always, saving my head and face from a more direct hit.

The bike was pretty much fine, with the shifter a bit our of the original position, I rode it to work afterwards, and got to the doctor in the afternoon.

Today my work's administration wanted to know the details, in really they wanted to tell me they won't pay anything.

Well I already spend about 6000 Yen, should go up to 10000yen in the end. Not worth the time and problem to a propor complain to the police and to the crazy lady.

Got a cracked arm and some bruises. Helmet was helpful as always, saving my head and face from a more direct hit.
By 'cracked arm' do you mean a fracture?

I think you should at least check what your admin people have to say. Normally, whatever medical expenses you pay which are
not covered by your regular health insurance would be covered by a workman compensation insurance policy, because, in Japan, commuting
to and from work is the company`s liability unless (which is the case at my company) cycling to work is prohibited by internal rules.

If they pay for your train transportation it is highly unlikely they will also be covering you for bicycle commuting.

Anyway sorry to hear about your accident. There are some real class acts on mama charis. Yesterday I had some moron walking his bike through the stopped traffic on Yamate dori, not a single look right or left. I almost cleaned him up on my scooter. Idiot.

Yes it a fracture, but not a complete separation of the bones, so more like a cracked bone.

I am not a regular employee as I don't get any money direct from then. So I was expecting the no payment stuff, what makes me mad is that they have the balls to make a fuss over it and the only thing they have to say is you need to be careful, and we are not paying anything.

Still I would expect at least some short argument, like you are not covered in the insurance so I am sorry, or something like. The Japaneses are so polite most of the time that I sometimes forget how some can be so detached of reality and be just cold-business-rules minded .

I wonder if the cops shouldn't be more activity on enforcing rules and not only acting when there is an accident the landscape wouldn't be better. Most os these ladies bike on the sidewalk all the time so they don't really care where they are going. If you are respecting the traffic rules more you would be more always more alert of these stuff.

I wonder if the cops shouldn't be more activity on enforcing rules and not only acting when there is an accident
Unless a particular offence is the target of this week's 'campaign', the Japanese police see themselves as peacekeepers rather than law enforcers. That's why they will blithely stand in intersections blowing their whistles in time with the lights but ignoring the cars who go through on red anyway.

Unless a particular offence is the target of this week's 'campaign', the Japanese police see themselves as peacekeepers rather than law enforcers. That's why they will blithely stand in intersections blowing their whistles in time with the lights but ignoring the cars who go through on red anyway.

Saw this today. I waited opposite the bobby on a bike. The lights turn green and a massive truck powers through ignoring his red. I look at PC Hoogivsafuq and show the universal hand signal for "isn't that your job?". Blank stare.

Demarcation

2291f052a7e3e099d7391d6ac526fe41cc1dd3738cf83111de114a7858129127.jpg

Saw this today. I waited opposite the bobby on a bike. The lights turn green and a massive truck powers through ignoring his red. I look at PC Hoogivsafuq and show the universal hand signal for "isn't that your job?". Blank stare.

Demarcation

2291f052a7e3e099d7391d6ac526fe41cc1dd3738cf83111de114a7858129127.jpg
bike or motorbike?

Yeah you are right about always expecting the worse from everyone, I was a bit made with the lady and was too partial. Usually I ride as far of the corner as possible to see and avoid these. I can't recall why I was closer this time, maybe I had avoided a car a bit before.

Cops as peacekeeper sounds right. Thinking about this and how Japanese police deals with suspects it is amazing how it is so peaceful around.

A little late, but just wanted to let folks know that there are some pretty reasonable priced bike insurance plans. One from 7/11 which is cheap and not a whole lot of coverage, but better than nothing - 3,900 yen. I had this one for this last year.

Now I am riding a lot more, both road and commute and with a family I decided to pay 9,600 yen for the year and get a lot more coverage and service.
Ironically, I have been in-between coverage until today and have had a few close calls. Prior to that none! What do you call that? Oh right, Murphy's Law!

http://www.au-sonpo.co.jp/pc/bycle/

Anyway, do others get bike insurance?

A little late, but just wanted to let folks know that there are some pretty reasonable priced bike insurance plans. One from 7/11 which is cheap and not a whole lot of coverage, but better than nothing - 3,900 yen. I had this one for this last year.

Now I am riding a lot more, both road and commute and with a family I decided to pay 9,600 yen for the year and get a lot more coverage and service.
Ironically, I have been in-between coverage until today and have had a few close calls. Prior to that none! What do you call that? Oh right, Murphy's Law!

http://www.au-sonpo.co.jp/pc/bycle/

Anyway, do others get bike insurance?

Based on numerous recommendations, I also have the 'gold course' plan from AU Sonpo.

When I had my accident, very little was covered by my last policy and, in the end, for the price of a meal or three out, I consider a better policy a better expenditure.

Back
Top Bottom