Help About bringing a bike to Japan

xrchitect

Warming-Up
Jun 8, 2014
Hi, I just join this forum yesterday with several very basic questions waiting for your kind helps.

I am living in China, planning to have a 2 weeks trip to Japan in early August. My major destination might be Tokyo and Kyoto. I am thinking of bringing my 14-inch folding bike with me because I would like to ride around the cities. My questions are as follows:

1. Is it legal to bring a bike to Japan from a foreign country? Do I need to go through any registration processes?
2. Is it possible to bring the 14-inch folding bike onto the metro or train? Does it charge a lot?
3. Is it difficult to find a safe place to park the bike?

Thank you very much!

Sibreen

Maximum Pace
Jul 23, 2010
Hanno, Saitama
Welcome.

1. Yes, and no.
2. Yes. It's free, but you need a bike bag.
3. If it's a cheap bike, anywhere will be ok with a lock. If it's an expensive bike, don't leave it anywhere public, even if locked.

August will be hot and humid, but there are plenty of great places to ride in Tokyo and Kyoto!

Sibreen

Maximum Pace
Jul 23, 2010
Hanno, Saitama
Welcome.

1. Yes, and no.
2. Yes. It's free, but you'll need a bike bag.
3. If it's a cheap bike, anywhere will be ok with a lock. If it's an expensive bike, don't leave it anywhere public, even if locked.

August will be hot and humid, but there are plenty of great places to ride in Tokyo and Kyoto!

xrchitect

Warming-Up
Jun 8, 2014
Welcome.

1. Yes, and no.
2. Yes. It's free, but you need a bike bag.

I love this forum!
Thanks alot and I am very happy to get this answer, then I can start planning the route now! :warau:

Trek DJ

Maximum Pace
Jan 27, 2009
Kobe
You will have a blast riding around Tokyo and Kyoto.

FYI, in downtown Kyoto there are a few areas (Kawaramachi I believe) that prohibit bikes during certain hours.
I doubt you would get a ticket, but the cops may ask you to walk your bike.
Nothing to worry about, just something you should know.....