What's new

A week of rain...

theBlob

Bokeh master
Sep 28, 2011
Maybe i will invest in some rollers or some kind of trainer... Whichever takes up the least space in my house. That would be a trainer right?
Recomendations are more than welcome.

Rollers are great - but a little unwieldy in most Japanese houses. For pure training purposes I'd go with a Lemond, hands down. Saving my money for one, too. I have the typical wind trainers like Minoura, etc. They are ok for casual spinning but not really suitable for the range of training excercises possible with something like the Lemond. If you get rollers - then get heavy duty set like the AC Pro's. They cost about 50,000 yen and are much better than the cheaper plastic rollers in terms of smoothness, reliability, noise, etc. Ocassionally you can find them on Yahoo Auction for quite a bit less.

Maybe...

(scroll down to Tokyo)

Note that from Monday on there is a "C" under the percentages. A is most reliable, C is least, so knock on wood and hope for the best!

Blob,
For the price of a decent set of rollers you can get yourself a junker bike and enjoy the rain induced empty cycle paths along the local rivers.
Especially because the decent weather seems to bring every Tom,Dick and Harry and his wife out nowadays!
The only time I get a bit of solitude is when it's raining and I head up the Edogawa!
Cycling boom,meh!

All the reviews say the lemond is really loud. I would be training in the morning when everyone else in my house is asleep. So it would have to be quiet. That one does look good though.

I love my commute on rainy days as there aren't many other cyclists on the roads.

I do all my grocery shopping by bicycle, regardless of the weather. I draw the line at snow.

My son has been commuting to university by bicycle since April (an hour each way), regardless of the weather. He even stopped wearing his rain gear.

Of course if you're commuting to an office by bike, getting soaked is not a good thing. But purely for exercise, it should not be a show stopper.

A friend of mine, a marathon runner, loves running in the rain. Maybe it helps that he grew up in Seattle ;) but in any case, he prefers running in the rain to running in the heat.

What I dislike about cycling in the rain:
- I have to cover my Brooks leather saddle with one or two plastic shopping bags
- My only pair of cycling shoes gets wet and I have to dry them again
- Rim brakes don't work as well when it's really wet out there - I wish I had disc brakes then.

thanks for your advice on how and why I should ride in the rain. I'm glad you like it.

So anyone else have an indoor trainer that they would recomend or not?

Noise is a major factor. Quiet is good. Loud isn't.

What is the difference between the magnetic and fluid trainers?

Pros cons?

I think I can help here.

Magnetic trainers; they are the kind that use magnets. Magnets are made of metal and stick to your fridge, so probably good if you are in the eating phase of your training.

Fluid; They use water plus other stuff in the water (think 'tea'; tiny tea particles in hot water that make the water better).

Hope that helps.

And yeah, riding in the rain is annoying; always ends with me disassembling (turning off) then re-assembling (turning on again) my bike, with 3 entire rolls of kitchen paper used, and a load of Q-tips and Wet Tissues from 7/11 eaten up.

F**k rain.

'Riding in the rain is one of the best hangover remedies' I've been telling myself since I got up two hours ago. And it seems to have worked!

And Owen: Outside in the rain is the only time my bike gets washed. Your steed needs to HTFU!

Haha.

Yeah, actually I love riding in the rain. Only time I am truly free, in my soul.

Haha.

Yeah, actually I love riding in the rain. Only time I am truly free, in my soul.

Owen, a midnight naked ride up the Arakawa in the rain is extremely liberating. I would suggest the ocean but you are a bit far away there in Saitama.

I think I am putting the indoor trainer on hold. My mate says they are kind of loud, and make the room smell like rubber. He said for my house (not so big) outside would be a good option. In which case I might as well be riding somewhere!!!

Or maybe I will see if I can pick up a cheap one from yahoo to test out before i drop the coin I was going to on this

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/elite-crono-power-fluid-wireless-trainer/

Thread dredge, looking for Jame's Lemond review, I want a resistance trainer. THoughts on the Lemond anyone

Oooh yes there was also some talk about a not-quite-ready-yet trainer that looked really groovy and affordable. Can't remember the name. Anyway?

Back
Top Bottom