A very fancy musette

bawbag

Maximum Pace
Mar 20, 2013
Tokyo
Not at work until later this evening, so I had a chance to do something I've been wanting to do for a long time - make a nice musette to replace my commuting rucksack. My aim was to have something sturdy and hard-wearing, and just big enough to carry an A4 file.

I got some heavy-duty Japanese duck/twill, some cotton ribbon for strengthening seams and some 38mm soft-touch webbing for the strap. After measuring, pressing and cutting the different bits and bobs, I then handed everything over to my wife who took care of business in the sewing room. Yeah - having a small factory in your apartment has its advantages sometimes. It has its disadvantages when you're hung over and you're rudely woken by the sound of an industrial sewing machine slicing into your brain.

Anyway - it turned out rather splendidly! Haven't decided on a fastening device yet, but will probably go for a magnetic clasp for ease of opening over a snap fastener.

Weight comes to 120g so far, which is a nice change from the rucksack.

bawbag

Maximum Pace
Mar 20, 2013
Tokyo
That looks the business!

Taking commissions?
Cheers!

Not sure whether the missus will want to make any more to be honest, but it's possible I guess if I ask her super nicely. I guess I should learn to sew... Anyway, first I'll give this one a bit of brutalising to see how it stands up to wear and tear. If it passes muster, I'll definitely consider making more just so I can have a selection of colours for extra ponciness.