What's new

a protein powder question or two

jdd

Maximum Pace
Hardest Crash
Jul 26, 2008
Some while back, this thread kind of took a protein powder turn and I asked a question or two. This is a follow-up.

1) I'm about finished with my second 1kg bag of the stuff (DNS, the cheapie), and was thinking I'd go for the 3kg, more cost-effective size. But then the wife mentioned that it was summer and was concerned about possible spoilage, suggesting that I continue with the 1kg size till fall. So, is spoilage in the summer heat an issue? Has anyone ever had this stuff go bad? (Given my past consumption rate, 3kg would last me well past Sept, very probably longer. So a new bag would be around for all the summer heat.)

2) I've adjusted the smoothy recipes I was making. I was using milk (instead of water/powder), but now use powder/water plus almost the same other ingredients. So it's now pro-powder/water, plus a banana (two if they're small), and maybe 2-300cc of yoghurt.

So milk was pooh-poohed as being slow-digesting, and there were some lactose comments, too. Is yoghurt okay? I'm thinking of it as pre-digested milk, but I'm far from knowledgeable, so just checking if this is okay.

And usually a shake or two of cinnamon and/or nutmeg.

Generally, I'm very glad I've tried this powder. Altho I don't do the more typical TCC mega-rides or training, nor am I training for anything or trying for more muscles, a couple spoons via smoothie seem to be great for the hours after the rides that I do (the spoon-that-comes-in-the-bag-sized-spoons). It does aid recovery. I probably have one of these smoothies 2-4 times a week, depending on.

3) And yes, this one other thing. Earlier, while bouncing around on stumbleupon, I happened across some smoothy recipes, that were supposedly tweaked for one or another condition. In one recipe, what caught my eye was this:

"1 scoop of natural hemp protein powder"

Uh, gee, is there anything like this here? And is it worth trying? ;)

HIGH5 Smooth Chocolate Recovery Protein powder..... you don't even need to mix it with other stuff.

100% natural, 100% covered under the WADA. 100% yummy!

milk was only pooh-poohed by the weight trainers..... I was actually recommended by preofessionals to mix with milk before going to bed as the slow digestion aids recovery while you sleep, which is when your bodies repair mechanism really kicks in. Using a slow absorption method actually works better as your body is only able to absorb a certain amount per hour.

On the train for the first time in months, and freaking out. Will reply in proper when I get home

tengu natural foods might have the hemp stuff, if not they will have other ingredients that you might be able to substitute like nutritional yeast, etc.

Find them at
http://store.alishan.jp/

disclaimer: I used to work for them.

I make myself a smoothie after my early morning rides around the Emperor's Palace.

Three scoops of the choc protein poweder
250ml of soy milk
1 banana
and a handful of ice cubes

It all goes into the blender for a couple of minutes and comes out great.

I too find it really helps me recover after my morning hard rides (hard for ME rides)

I haven`t finished reading this article yet, but shall post it while I think about it, or might forget. It compares chocolate milk with a commerical recovery product. By the way, I often stop at the combini on the way back and have yoghurt drinks or milk drinks.

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/muscle-gain/an-objective-comparison-of-chocolate-milk-and-surge-recovery.html
`CONCLUSION
I have no vested interest in glorifying chocolate milk, nor do I stand to benefit by vilifying [commercial product]. My goal was to objectively examine the facts. Using research as the judge, chocolate milk was superior or equal to [the commercial product] in all categories. The single exception...[being]...the convenience department.`

My personal formula is pretty much the same as Stu's. Being the cheap bastard I am .. Soy milk, cheap choco powder, cheap whey protein and half a greenish banana. Combo Carbo Recovery with not too heavy on the carbs. I do want to try some of the more complex formulas like the High5 stuff - especially after hard gruelling rides where more components may be depleted. I find that I start craving pretty heavy a couple hours after - so I know <something> is missing.

Good comments, folks, but any insight on the possible spoilage thing I mentioned?

John D.

Yeah, finished reading. So yes, chocolate milk is as good as, if not better, than anything on the market [implied: it doesn`t address this point specifically] and cheaper, and you only need about 17.3 ounces. As regards protein intake post-exercise, it does cite this -
"Recent research by Tang et al found that as little as 10g whey plus 21 g fructose taken after resistance exercise was able to stimulate a rise in muscle protein synthesis [5]. Considering that an isocaloric serving of lowfat chocolate milk has 17.3 g protein plus 56.3 g carbohydrate, a hike in muscle protein synthesis (as well as inhibition of protein breakdown) would be easily achieved."

One more thing I missed, the article has something to say about whey protein hydrolysate (WPH) vs whey protein isolate (WPI). As I don`t use Whey Protein, I can`t say which one is used in those supplements, but for those who do, it might be something worth checking. Basically, WPI is superior to WPH. If you want to know anymore, read the article!

Yeah, finished reading. So yes, chocolate milk is as good as, if not better, than anything on the market [implied: it doesn`t address this point specifically] and cheaper, and you only need about 17.3 ounces. As regards protein intake post-exercise, it does cite this -
"Recent research by Tang et al found that as little as 10g whey plus 21 g fructose taken after resistance exercise was able to stimulate a rise in muscle protein synthesis [5]. Considering that an isocaloric serving of lowfat chocolate milk has 17.3 g protein plus 56.3 g carbohydrate, a hike in muscle protein synthesis (as well as inhibition of protein breakdown) would be easily achieved."

Interesting info about the chocolate milk, but I don't drink milk, period, I'm not a baby cow :D even though I might look like one :rolleyes: Soy milk is what I find tastes best, I like the Kibun brand 紀文 in the green box.

I also will add a three or four figs to the mix for some more flavour

Good comments, folks, but any insight on the possible spoilage thing I mentioned?

John D.

I bought a 1 Kg bag on March 28th, I put it into a large glass jar with one of those wire locking seal lid things, like this...........

View attachment 835

..... I also put a couple of those silicone crystal packs in there that come with the whole wheat flour I buy. I have no complaints with the whey powder, it is still fine.

I think if you buy a couple of these good sealing jars, you should have no trouble with spoilage.

Cheers!

I prefer to use the more expensive powders, WPI with around 90% protein.
Some of the cheaper products can have a lot of sugar, so when considering dollar per gram of protein the better products don't end up being too expensive, plus you avoid the sugar.
I've been using Kentai 100% CFM Whey Protein.

Back
Top Bottom