What's new

A Letter Of Introduction To Tcc

TODO R CASPELL

Maximum Pace
Jan 27, 2009
Hi you all seem a very likely bunch. I am in Yokosuka for 4 months. Having a GREAT time. I LOVE LOVE LOVE Japan ! Been up to Tokyo 9 times. Rode over to Kamakura [ Kamikaze - Divine wind.] and to Yokohama [ Many tunnels.] on my bike. The bike I brought to Japan is my Tom Ritchey Break away Ti carbon Dura Ace. A very sweet ride. I took off the weight weenie wheels and put on 36 Mavic rims DA hubs and they are pretty well bomb proof. 180 mm DA cranks. I have covered almost the entire frame with inner tubes and SCREAMING green and orange tape, Rmv most of the Durra Ace logos in hopes of fooling the bike thief. So it looks kinda ghetto at first glance. Bike thievery is not really an issue here in Japan and I am just running a "Stick in the spokes lock." But I go to San Diego / London etc... where this bike would not last a New York minute on the street. My general thought on bike security is lock as the locals do. If every beater on the street is locked with 2 U locks and a chain... well you better do likewise. Amsterdam bad Copenhaugen good.
On a more personal note I am half century old and still pretty darn good on all levels. 6'4" ride a 63 cm. 200 # or so. Have removed most of the hair from my head excepting a trendy goat. Almost always in a black beret with star or skull but will wear a helmet under protest. [ The more you harp about THAT the less likely I am to wear a helmet. So no preaching please.] Wardrobe is almost entirely black. Favorite jersey is wool long sleeve Molteni ala Eddy. I have 11 S.T.P. s [ Seattle to Portland ] seven Ramrods [ Ride Around Mt. Rainier One Day.] Done a lotta mountain passes. Raced just a bit, mostly mountain one road thing at SIR one Triathlon { I HATE Tri.} a couple cross { I HATE cycle cross ! I got story why too.} No podium finishes. These days though 50 miles is a big day and mostly I just ride around town.
My best bike is a custom Glen Erickson in British racing green with chrome lugs. Steel of course, a mix of Reynolds and Columbus tubing that Glen thought best. I don't interfere with an artist. I built it up all with the most beautiful Campy parts I had: 80's C record cranks, NR changers etc.
The rest of my stable is: Cramerotti X bike, red & campy[ Living in PDX with my best X Red.] , TREK road bike Reynolds steel Campy, Cliff track bike, steel with a ridiculously short wheel base mostly campy now but I plan on Keirining it out [ NITTO/Kashimi ]as soon as I get back to Seattle, Raleigh 20 that I will never be able to get to fit me and need to get rid of, 08 Raleigh 29 er hard tail, it was yellow but had it powder coated Flat Black [ The durability of Krylon poof can paint has suffered under EPA regulations, alas. Poofed the Cliff F Black years ago and it is holding up just FINE.] 29 r has Avid mechanical discs that I love, a good rock shock fork with a lock out on the bar and whatever is the rest, but all good stuff. It rolls over everything. I WAS planning to make it my Japan bike with the Big Apple slicks but decided my Ritchey was already broken down in it's case and easyr to haul. Maybe next trip ? Bianchi SASS Chrome steel frame that I have made a 69er [ 69er = 26" bike with a 29 wheel on the front.] single speed 180 cranks [ note almost all my bikes have 180 s as I have long thigh bones and tend to mash pedal ] This list seems short I think I am neglecting a bike or two so lets make this a running intro, more later.
My ass likes Cinelli Unicantor saddles, Black plastic unpadded leather covered and also the just plastic cyclocross / BMX in yellow or red, also like the Rolls and Regal Sella San Marco. Just ordered a Kashimi 5 gold Keirin saddle and think I am gonna love it. Fondled one in person at Toyko Hands [ They wouldn't sell it to me as it was the last display one. That is NO way to run a bike shop. Why you need a display model of something you don't got any of ? ] and it was a ROCK thinly covered with leather. So I found one in Japan on eBay. Thinking of trying one of the Kashimi BMX plastic saddles but they ain't cheep either.
My general bike philosophy is in part: Steel is real, Light ain't right and NEVER walk your bike. ANYWAY HI MORE LATER, TODO

EVERYONE wants T R Caspell
mr. Toads wild ride. Todd Royall Caspell
Tord and sundry

(expressed opinions not necessarily of
my brain)

Saint Eddy ride for us.
RIDE LOTS _ Eddy

Todd Caspell [email protected]

HE HAD SUCH POTENTIAL

Whoa, I feel a little dizzy after reading that. Like I ate a couple buttons of peyote or something. Welcome to TCC!

Deej

Nice stable of bikes. What frame size do you ride? Not that I am looking to stael any of them but that break away Ritchey is very desirable in the land of trains and planes. Welcome and make sure you start riding with the guys and gals down there.

So what are you doing in the Yokosuka area? I work on the base and ride around the Miura peninsula quite a bit, well not much lately. Lately it has been all trainer action, boring but a change. The most annoying thing for me riding in the Yokosuka area is the damn sup'd up mopeds, those cats are friggin crazy. Welcome to the area.

James

RIDE 63 cm.

THANKS ! I ride a 63 cm. I forgot my to mention my Specialized Allez STEEL road bike. Cause it's just a bike. Whatever Shimano OK parts. I just bought it because it was cheep my almost size and steel. I covered it with copper tape that is getting a nice patina. It's got the micro frame I think it's a 53 but I ride a 63 cm. SO another foot of seat pin, story of my life.

I understand about the frame size thing. I am attracted to any bike near 63 cm. Life would be so much easyer if I just rode a 58.

Nice stable of bikes. What frame size do you ride? Not that I am looking to stael any of them but that break away Ritchey is very desirable in the land of trains and planes. Welcome and make sure you start riding with the guys and gals down there.

Monkey Electric Etc

THANKS ! Am here working for George. Not at liberty to say more on a public form. You understand. I mostly just putter about town a bit before or after work. Swing shift. [ 1400 - 2215 ] DEATH BEFORE DAYSHIFT ! But I did get up to Yokohama and over to Kamakura.
If you see me give me the old Oi Oi Oi ! I am the tall Gaijin in black. Black beret and black etc. Not doing the bike shorts thing lately. If it's night you shall see me 2 + miles away as I am lit up like the entire circus. MONKEY ELECTRIC ! Much brighter than my old Hokey Spokes. http://www.monkeylectric.com/
Light makes right. I can ride as stupid as I want at night and not even get killed. Even the Yakuza scooter boys get the hell out of my way. My wheels ARE a bit heavier but I am slow anyway so it's a good excuse.

TODO

So what are you doing in the Yokosuka area? I work on the base and ride around the Miura peninsula quite a bit, well not much lately. Lately it has been all trainer action, boring but a change. The most annoying thing for me riding in the Yokosuka area is the damn sup'd up mopeds, those cats are friggin crazy. Welcome to the area.

James

Not Bush

I mean George the boat, not the idiot.

So sorry to repeat I didn't think my last was posted. NOW thats all Im gonna say about that AGAIN.

Hey, I just joined this site and I'm in Yoko. We should meet up some time for a cup o joe. Rode the Peninsula last weekend for the first time....great ride! Supposed to be 50-70 kph winds Sat....a little lighter on Sunday this week.

Yokosuka Aux

Yes the Joe sounds good. Maybe a meeting of the Yoko TCC auxiliary ? I think there are 3 of us here. Dono if I am up 4 a ride 2 as am old and slow. You'd totally pound me. I am swing shift so noonish is good, or midnight.

TODO

DEATH before dayshift.

Sayonara

Bye bye TCC. Alas when the boat goes out we go too. I have really enjoyed my Japan and you all have been VERY helpful. Thanks. I am thinking I will be back to Japan around first of next year so don't grieve for me too hard. I will also continue to subject you to my rants and raves on the TCC BBS from the mainland. I am thinking I will be around Seattle [ Port Orca ] all summer. Unless I can get a ride to San Diego or Pearl. Burning man for Labor day of COURSE. BIG DOMO TODO

Back
Top Bottom