What's new

A fun read on Columbus Steel

ProRaceMechanic

Maximum Pace
Dec 31, 2009
Found this while chillaxin havin a nightcap.
I do like Popadadopolisis statement
"I'm not just tuned in with this sort of thing, I'm obsessed with it!"
It explains my love for the greatest invention on the face of the earth, The bicycle!

Here is the link, tell me what you think!
http://www.habcycles.com/m7.html

OUCH

The cross chain in the picture is just killin me.......
At least the chain lenght is correct :)

What a deal!

Im gonna swoop on that Campy front der! what a deal! Hope they still have it...

I used to have my Tri customs made with new Aelle tubing in spite of advise of the builder. But - the typical stage race mentality of European buildr did not jive perfectly with the strategy of the new sport of triathlon. Nor did my request to make tubulars with butyl tubes instead of latex due to the transition delays. In essence - everything I was requesting was totally wrong according to the classical EU builder - however - they could / would build it and it kicked ass. Oh yeah - I actually stopped doing this in 1989 --- about 7yrs BEFORE this article was even written ...

But dude , if ur refering to the 425mm chain stay for the CX bike -- mmm, have to agree, somewhat. I will <stretch> to 427 or so - but this is for def touring / audax set in Ti. Ti is so supple - why would you make frame like this>? I have no idea. Iset CX CS at maybe 415 max - its enough, And then rock back the seat tube a bit. Thas all. Bear in mind on CX you spend ALOT of time out of the saddle - so - little longer CS is OK - but drop the bb slightly and rock back the STA and ur good to go. Ala Alain (remember them??) the noodliest of all bikes - but very good in CX. Light, easy to transition and basically its own suspension due to the flexi-noodle frame! And it had quite short CS... By comparison - I think most roadbike I will spec is CS of about 405-410 max...

Awesome read - thank you for sharing that find! Great read over breakfast. But everybody should buy the magazine instead of just reading it online;)

Great Article

I remember all the talk back in the day on which steel tubset was better and all the atributes and properties of one brand and type vice another. This was an interesting article to read and see that the tester felt the build was more responsible for the ride characteristic of the bike than the material.

It now makes me wonder what the results would be if this were done now with carbon fibre. With all the variations in weave, tube shape, types of carbon, etc., I bet the results of this subjective test would prove just as true. It is more about the build than the material in a lot of cases. Sure, you might save a few ounces, but what is the real difference in ride quality.

Lastly, I wonder what happened to these seven bicycles. I would love to have just one of them.

It now makes me wonder what the results would be if this were done now with carbon fibre. With all the variations in weave, tube shape, types of carbon, etc., I bet the results of this subjective test would prove just as true. It is more about the build than the material in a lot of cases. Sure, you might save a few ounces, but what is the real difference in ride quality.

Ahh but it is done with carbon fibre, thus why some is called unidirectional carbon fiber and monodirectional carbon fibre. Also one great bike to look at for this is the Pinarello Dogma in naked carbon.....amazing to see where the ribbing and contours are placed to give strength and ridgeness to the frame as well as flex when needed as well as the flow of the carbon weave.

Back
Top Bottom