What's new

A Dane on Japanese Chromoly Bikes

Matti89

Warming-Up
Jun 22, 2022
Hi all! Thanks to TCC for adding me as a member!

I'm a passionate rider from Copenhagen, Denmark, who's been active on the 2-wheeled iron horse pretty much since I could walk! ... or thereabouts.
This is my second year in Japan and my first time joining a forum like this - I hope for many good experiences exploring the countryside of Japan.
Anyone is welcome to hit me up for a ride! I live in the Kanto area but travel around often.

And on a side note; I'm looking for a Japanese Chromoly road bike to purchase - something with a frame made in Japan (could be from the 1980s, 1990s or later) and with updated/ more 'modern' parts. Yes, I could build it myself, but I'm eager to get out on the roads soon! ;)
Any tips and leads are welcomed!

Happy riding and best wishes,
Matti

Welcome Matti!

How tall are you? Yahoo Auctions has tons of older steel Panasonics and the like but there's not much selection for people over 180cm.

Reactions: jdd
Welcome Matti!

How tall are you? Yahoo Auctions has tons of older steel Panasonics and the like but there's not much selection for people over 180cm.
Thanks! :)
I am just about 180cm, so I have looked at all the smaller frames with sad eyes. Will continue to watch the auctions, mercari, jmty, rakuten and anywhere else?

I'm looking for a Japanese Chromoly road bike to purchase - something with a frame made in Japan (could be from the 1980s, 1990s or later) and with updated/ more 'modern' parts. Yes, I could build it myself, but I'm eager to get out on the roads soon!
what is your budget and welcome ?

Welcome! Some disorganized thoughts:

I got a ten-year-old 59 cm (I think) steel Panasonic frame and a thirty-year-old bike with a 60 cm (I think) steel Cinelli frame from Yahoo Auction. Patience is needed.

Are you familiar with such frames? I ask because the sizing seems to be different from that of today's frames. I mean, today's "56 cm" frame may in theory be effectively the same size as a thirty-year-old [actual] 56 cm frame, but in practice it's likely to be larger.

Do you know about the 120/126/130 mm "OLD" business?

I don't think you're likely to find a decades-old frame (let alone one your size) with modern parts already fitted.

For a long time my local branch of Buychari had a new-condition, orthodox-design 60 cm Panasonic frame, for I think 60,000 yen.

Francis Cade (Youtube) isn't sponsored by Sensah, but seems impressed by the road "gruppo" of theirs that he bought -- other than the brakes. So he got replacement brakes (I forget the brand) from Ali Express and is happy with the new set-up.

I'm too much of a klutz (and too lazy) to assemble my own bike. My newest bike is a collection of mostly old parts. A frame builder here was already acquainted with the frame. (Long story.) I asked if he could assemble it and the bits that I'd amassed over the previous months. Yes, he said, but he was rather busy with other matters so it would have to go on the back burner. OK, I said. Nothing happened for two or three months; but then, suddenly, it was done. And for a very reasonable price.

Have you seen this?
I had my eye on this for a long time. A few months back the seller wanted ¥110,000 for it, but they have the "buy it now" price at ¥80,000 now. Really pretty frame. Weird mix of components but the seller says it works for them...

Have you seen this?
The "small" chainwheel is big. The way a cable enters the top tube could be a rust trap. The stem is ugly (or maybe that's just the way it's photographed, and anyway this kind of thing is just a matter of taste). Otherwise, looks good! And it would give you another reason to ride to Tooyama.

Welcome! Some disorganized thoughts:

I got a ten-year-old 59 cm (I think) steel Panasonic frame and a thirty-year-old bike with a 60 cm (I think) steel Cinelli frame from Yahoo Auction. Patience is needed.

Are you familiar with such frames? I ask because the sizing seems to be different from that of today's frames. I mean, today's "56 cm" frame may in theory be effectively the same size as a thirty-year-old [actual] 56 cm frame, but in practice it's likely to be larger.

Do you know about the 120/126/130 mm "OLD" business?

I don't think you're likely to find a decades-old frame (let alone one your size) with modern parts already fitted.

For a long time my local branch of Buychari had a new-condition, orthodox-design 60 cm Panasonic frame, for I think 60,000 yen.

Francis Cade (Youtube) isn't sponsored by Sensah, but seems impressed by the road "gruppo" of theirs that he bought -- other than the brakes. So he got replacement brakes (I forget the brand) from Ali Express and is happy with the new set-up.

I'm too much of a klutz (and too lazy) to assemble my own bike. My newest bike is a collection of mostly old parts. A frame builder here was already acquainted with the frame. (Long story.) I asked if he could assemble it and the bits that I'd amassed over the previous months. Yes, he said, but he was rather busy with other matters so it would have to go on the back burner. OK, I said. Nothing happened for two or three months; but then, suddenly, it was done. And for a very reasonable price.
Thank you!
And bingo! Your link to Buychari lead me to the right bike - I just bought a bike from that site! ;)
Does this mean I owe you some beer? Hehe...
Found a frame from the 90s with some newer wheels and I'll update the other parts over time if needed. Good stuff!

Your link to Buychari lead me to the right bike - I just bought a bike from that site! ;)

Found a frame from the 90s with some newer wheels and I'll update the other parts over time if needed. Good stuff!
Congratulations! (I hope.) No beer needed, thanks; but I'll accept eternal gratitude if you like the bike and amnesia if you don't.

Actually I've never bought anything from the Buychari website and my only experience of Buychari is their Kawasaki branch, which is conveniently close to where I live. Bits (notably the saddle) and pieces (maybe front derailleur, but I forget) of my newest/oldest bike are from there. Also, a couple of jerseys.

Photos and ride report, please!

Back
Top Bottom