A clean bike is a fast bike

How often do you wash/clean your bike?

• Every week

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Every month

Votes: 4 26.7%
  • After every big ride

Votes: 2 13.3%
  • After every ride (even a quickie clean)

• My bike’s cobwebs stop the bugs from making a mess so why clean.

• Generally as needed

Votes: 8 53.3%
  • Other

Votes: 1 6.7%
  • Before a big ride

Votes: 1 6.7%

• Total voters

TheAussieinJapan

Maximum Pace
Apr 15, 2014
Nerima Ward
Hope to share something I’m a big fan of and hear how often you all do this, as well as how given variety of sizes of homes/apartments in Tokyo.

So, something I used to hate, partially as I live in an apartment or sometimes known as a mansion (anything but though!), is washing my bike.

Over the last couple of years and particularly after I bought my first proper and expensive (for me) bike, I paid much more attention to maintaining, cleaning & preventative steps in addition to regular appointments with the bike shop that built my bikes. Turns out it has saved me money in the end and also made my bikes more enjoyable to ride, and I’ve never had a mechanical on the road thanks to checking bikes before big rides.

My only problem though is I’ve got myself a balcony system (which my wife hated!) that sees me moving buckets of water from the shower to balcony, and buckets of sponges, degreased, old oily tshirts, chain oil, bike wash, bike polish, WD-40 sprays etc through the house.

So any of you lot with your own driveway, access to a hose I am quite jealous. For anyone wanting some tips to keep things clean with rainy season especially a time to take care of bikes, here’s the two videos that taught me how care of GCN 5 years ago. Watched it 10-15 times trying to figure out how to get my rear wheel back in though.

For my lighter bike I take off wheels and hang it from handlebars or saddle on the washing line pole. Others carefully one wheel off at a time to get any brake muck off and clean under the seatpost & forks.

The 30 Minute Bike Wash - How To Clean & Degrease Your Bike

The 5 Minute Bike Wash - How To Clean Your Bike In A Hurry

kiwisimon

Maximum Pace
Dec 14, 2006
Japan
and the obviously missing option, before every big ride. sounds silly but 91.73% of problems can be avoided with a good preride check.
Oh and single guys, there is nothimg wierd about showering with your bike.

Last edited:

adventurous cyclist

turtle speed cyclist
May 16, 2019
Ube -shi, Yamaguchi-ken
I use this wax wipes that really works well. About 400 yen for 12 of them at Donkey Hotei. ( Don Quijote )

Reactions: Kangaeroo