What's new

9th 枝折Toge Hillclimb in Uonuma (Nigata) 8/1

Doug3

Maximum Pace
Jun 24, 2010
This race is not in Tokyo, and the entry has already closed. It is a 750m climb over 14km.

I am signed up and was wondering if anyone here is planning to go or has completed the event in the past and would like to comment on their experience.

This will be my first bicycle competition in over 20years, and first in Japan. Quite excited.

http://ooyu-yupio.com/hillclimb.html

It's a great race. It has a local feel to it but the competition is always tough and many use it as a warm up to Norikura.

It's steep all the way up to the top of a narrow pass. Typical of the climbs we have in Niigata. It's also very very hot. The road is exposed to the sun with little shade.

This year, the original organiser has had to pull out due to illness and it will be organised by the bike shop here in Kashiwazaki together with Murayama san (known fondly as Mr. Hillclimb).

There should be an event on the night before with some star viewing and other festivities. There's an onsen right at the start and you can camp on the grass no problems.

The actual road links Niigata to Fukushima so there are plenty of fantastic cycling options before or after the race.

As for the race itself, I won the age class when I first entered in 2005. Last year I made a second attempt but had to get off and walk due to a month of over indulgence and no training before the race! This year I can't go because I will be overuindulging again, only this time in the UK.....

http://www.jyonnobitime.com/time/2009/08/shiori-hill-climb-race-report.html

Enjoy the race though, it's a cracker!

Andy

My GOD! the mighty Andy can be beaten..... quick Tom we need to set up an over indulgence trap for Andy before the Itoigawa fast run! :D

James, I always overindulge before Tokyo~Itoigawa. It's part of the race preparation!

A few years ago I overdid it, fell over and passed out in the toilets. I must have been asleep on the bathroom floor for a few hours. God only knows how many people came in and stepped over the drunken gaijin. I still have a scar on my chin to prove it!

That year I lost out to Nishitani san by two minutes. Since then I vowed to keep the beers down to single numbers the night before the race!

That's nothing though compared to Murayama san who we woke up to find crashed out in the doorway with his head amongst the shoes and his legs in the corridor before the hill climb mentioned here. He was shaken to, put on his bike and won the race in the steaming August heat! His motto is "drink as much as you want, but always get your head down before 10". Seems to work for him!

Andy

no illusions!

I have at ever beating Andy at my favorite TOITO. Wow, I love that story Andy...the scar and everything !! Very realistic. These are the little things that make life so beautiful !! Meanwhile, James, I think you have some potential at doing so (beating Andy) but before that, you will need to harden up and get yourself some real petrol - I mean the kind Andy consumes; no, that's not the pink powder :D

James, I always overindulge before Tokyo~Itoigawa. It's part of the race preparation!

A few years ago I overdid it, fell over and passed out in the toilets. I must have been asleep on the bathroom floor for a few hours. God only knows how many people came in and stepped over the drunken gaijin. I still have a scar on my chin to prove it!

That year I lost out to Nishitani san by two minutes. Since then I vowed to keep the beers down to single numbers the night before the race!

That's nothing though compared to Murayama san who we woke up to find crashed out in the doorway with his head amongst the shoes and his legs in the corridor before the hill climb mentioned here. He was shaken to, put on his bike and won the race in the steaming August heat! His motto is "drink as much as you want, but always get your head down before 10". Seems to work for him!

Andy

Andy,

Thanks for the info about the event.

You mentioned it is possible to camp on the grass near the start. I would like to pitch a tent. Are you certain that it will be ok to throw one up, or should I try to check with the organizers?

Thanks,
Doug

There should be an event on the night before with some star viewing and other festivities. There's an onsen right at the start and you can camp on the grass no problems.

Doug,

There is a a car park with lots of grass. I've camped there before with no problems. The only place I've had problems with is Norikura in August (which is why I don't bother going anymore).

Just be subtle about it and I'm sure there'll be no problems. Apparently the number of entrants is close to 800 this year, so I'm sure you won't be the only one camping.

The onsen is across the street. There are toilets too. But it is quite rural (at the foot of the pass) so you should get your supplies enroute. There is a 7-11 after you turn into R352 from R17. Also there are supermarket options on R17.

Hope you have a good time!

Andy

Doug,

In Japan if they don't know they answer they will always so no...... pitch camp and then wait to see if the local officials ask you to move.. pretty certain they won't :D

Andy and James,

Thanks for your advice. I'll report back on the race (and camping) in early August.

Doug

Made it to the top

I made the trip to Niigata for my first bike race in Japan, the Shiore Toge Hillclimb. Arrived before registration closed on Saturday evening, and then picked out a nice parking spot and place to pitch the tent. As Andy and James suggested, it did not seem to be a problem camping out. I picked a spot down near the river and had the place to myself. After a dip in the onsen and the pasta dinner it was to bed early just a a rain shower rolled in.

Fine weather in the morning. After warming up and heading to the start ceremony I got an idea of how many people had come out for the event, ~800. Quite a pack. The start was staged at 2 min intervals by age class. I left in the 3rd and biggest age group at the back of the pack.

The first 4km or so were an easy climb and I was steadily moving through the group, then the next 10km were a pretty constant climb, except for the last 500m where things leveled off a bit.

My time was a 53:27 which put me 106/250 in my class. I was pretty satisfied with the result and impressed with the level of the competition. Overall it was a very enjoyable event and will put it on my list for next year.

Thanks for the tip Andy. I will plan to sign up and make a 3 day vacation. :)

Doug

No worries Doug,

Yahiko is a beautiful little village with a shrine, a keirin track and quite a few onsen options. There is also Teradomari fish market nearby and some good restaurants (including a brewery) on the coast behind Yahiko. The course itself is not too steep with varying gradients making a really interesting climb. Friends have one each year: Andrew > Adam > Tazaki san (x2). I would like to get one over on Tazaki san - I can beat him up there early in the season but come this time of the year he's flying - he set a course record at the Yunotani race you attended.

There are actually 2 roads up to the top of Yahiko. The approach from the north is much steeper and has a series of hairpins making it a great climb too.

Anyway if you need any info about the race or the area, just let me know.

Andy

Back
Top Bottom