What's new
  • Dear valued Members,

we kindly ask you to post/repost your classified ads to our new Classifieds section. This subforum is now in read-only status. If you still have active ads, repost them to the new Classified section.

Please submit multiple items seperately: one entry for each item you'd like to post.

Thank you!

Wanted 9 speed cassette

Sibreen

Maximum Pace
Jul 23, 2010
Hey,

I'm running an older SORA 9-speed drive train with a 11-25 cassette and want a bigger biggest cog (either a 28 or 30) for hills. Does anyone have an old 9-speed cassette lying around that they don't need?
A new HG-80 12-28 cassette is about 4000yen, so I'm looking for something quite a bit cheaper than that.

Or, if anyone has a used 105 drivetrain they want to sell..?

Si

For a long time I used the 25-28 from an 8spd casette along with ultegra 9spd. Shifting wasn't bad, so you might want to widen your search. I don't have those gears anymore, though.

Can't offer any old 9 speeds (still using mine), but am very happy with the SRAM PG 950 (I have the 11-28).

Thanks for the responses.
Joewein: Am I correct in assuming the SRAM cassette works with a shimano freehub without any problems? It's on sale at wiggle for a little under 3000yen so v tempting.

I have another question for anyone who can tell me: if I buy a 10speed 105 cassette and derailleur, can I use it with 9speed sora shifters so long as I only use 9 of the 10cogs on the cassette?
I'd like to upgrade in the long run, but doing it piecemeal is the only way money wise.

if I buy a 10speed 105 cassette and derailleur, can I use it with 9speed sora shifters so long as I only use 9 of the 10cogs on the cassette?
That will definitely not work well. Ten cogs in the same width as nine. The brifters are indexed to find the right spacing, so except for top, bottom, and maybe one in the middle, none of the shifts will be right - slippy-slidey unsatisfactory.

Hey,

I'm running an older SORA 9-speed drive train with a 11-25 cassette and want a bigger biggest cog (either a 28 or 30) for hills.

Si
Before you buy Si, check your derailler capacity.You should be ok but u never no.

Half-fast Mike:
since the brifter indexing can be adjusted, I thought that I might be able to adjust it to shift over a smaller gap. My hypothetical plan was to pretend I didnt have a smallest cog, and adjust the indexing to shift from cogs 2-10. I'm guessing this isn't possible, then..
Thanks for the auctions link - I don't think I can manage a 32 but Ill search the sprockets sections.

KiwiSimon:
Yeah, I have a short-cage derailleur, so I think I'm ok up to 30.

Joewein: Am I correct in assuming the SRAM cassette works with a shimano freehub without any problems? It's on sale at wiggle for a little under 3000yen so v tempting.

Yes, it will. I'm using an SRAM PG 950 on a 9 speed 105 hub and it has been working well for 10,000 km so far.

I also have used a 10 speed shifter (with 10 speed Mech) on both 9 and 8 speed cassettes - its all to do with the limiter screws on the rear mech. - The indexing will continue to work.

My sons Pro Lite One is about to get Sti shifters with an 8 speed cassette.

Back
Top Bottom