Official Ride 8th Fuji International Hill Climb 2011

kpykc

Speeding Up
Jun 13, 2007
Tokyo
Hi all,

Here's the thread for the official TCC torture of the year - hill climb race at Fuji Azami Line (12km, 10% avg., 22% max)

The race is on June 19th.

Race page is here -
http://sunday-sunday.net/race/2011/0619Fujikokusai/2011fuji_race.htm

Clay (echothree) has been the champion in the expert class for 2 years in a row - will he make it three? :eek:

I missed it last year, but will try to join this time. Any other takers? :cool:

GSAstuto

Maximum Pace
Oct 11, 2009
tokyo
www.roadfixie.com
I signed up for this one. Did the '5th Station' version last year and thought I'd try this one for this year. Time to train up at Kazuhari .... lots! This will be murderous on a singlespeed (notice I didn't say FG, because the Sunday-Sunday people are FG Nazis)

kpykc

Speeding Up
Jun 13, 2007
Tokyo
Nice Tim!

It's a pity we won't be able to witness your fixed gear descending skillz on a 22% slope, though :D

Looking forward to some great results from you here

Sikochi

Maximum Pace
Sep 13, 2010
Kochi
I was looking at the profle for that. If I was to attempt this, it would be a case of how far I could get before I had to start zig-zagging and I think the answer would be in metres rather than km! :eek:

GSAstuto

Maximum Pace
Oct 11, 2009
tokyo
www.roadfixie.com
This is definitely a slope for the UltraGatorSkins! I'd burn through my Champions in about 10 sec. Actually I'm kinda concerned even using my ultra-lightweight wheels on this - may have to rebuild the front at least a 1x configuration to prevent the spokes from popping out .

Nice Tim!

It's a pity we won't be able to witness your fixed gear descending skillz on a 22% slope, though :D

Looking forward to some great results from you here

Naomi

Maximum Pace
Apr 20, 2007
Tokyo
This looks appalling And I've just registered as well .. :confused:
Steve, It is literally appalling, dismaying and completely maddening hill-climb:eek:, at least for me. HOWEVER it is a great challenge;)

Am I in? Yes:) I want to have my revenge for KUSATSU:warau:

Naomi

GSAstuto

Maximum Pace
Oct 11, 2009
tokyo
www.roadfixie.com
What's with some of the crazy gearing I've seen?? Looks like some people are actually running close to 1:1 or lower !!???

I'm gonna just ride the lowest trackset I can find - (40:22) Which is basically made for BMX.

Steve, It is literally appalling, dismaying and completely maddening hill-climb:eek:, at least for me. HOWEVER it is a great challenge;)

Am I in? Yes:) I want to have my revenge for KUSATSU:warau:

Naomi

Naomi

Maximum Pace
Apr 20, 2007
Tokyo
Accomodation

I called Ougiya Ryokan(扇屋旅館) and reserved two rooms for 7people temporary for the night on 18th Jun.
The rate is 8,500 yen/person with 2meals.
http://www5a.biglobe.ne.jp/~ougiya/

Alan and I will stay there....and I assume Thomas and Serguei as well ( Am I right;)?). Anyone else who is interested in staying with us?

Please let me know if you want to stay at Ougiya Ryokan by the end of April.

Naomi

baribari

Maximum Pace
May 28, 2010
Fukushima
Average 10%? I think I'd be better off running...

I wouldn't even want to attempt this until I change my big sprocket from a 27 to a 28... ok, not that big of a change.

And lose 20 pounds...

GSAstuto

Maximum Pace
Oct 11, 2009
tokyo
www.roadfixie.com
Alan is right - the 10-15% climbs are cheesecake. Its the 18%+ that puts you into the "is it faster to walk" territory. BTW - I heard some Lake District climbs approach the 35-40% range!! Anyway, I'm looking forward to this - I think I'll send a spare wheel to the top cause I really don't want to melt my 21mm carbons. Or I need to Fred Flinstone the whole way .... not fun.

Never mind the 10% average, it's the 25% section that does the damage :eek: