What's new

700 x 28c City Tyres...?

StuInTokyo

Maximum Pace
Dec 3, 2010
With about 2500 Km on the Continental Sport Contact tyres I have on my Mixer 8 trailer tugging bike, the rear tyre is just wearing noticeably. I really need good high grip tires on this bike, as I'm often braking for a substantial amount of weight, with me and the trailer full of beer.

Wiggle does not sell these tyres so I'm looking at two different tires now;

The Continental Reflex

contact-2011-med.jpg

Schwalbe Durano Plus Performance Rigid Road Tyre

schwalbe-durano-plus-28mm-med.jpg

I need something that is just about bullet proof, I don't worry much about weight, but I want something near a slick for better grip.

Any suggestions would be welcome

Cheers!

based purely on multi colored graphics being a gimmick to attract teenagers, and after reading the online reviews:: take the Contis in a 32 as they seem to run skinny.

32c won't fit on the Mixer :(

Gatorskin 28c - the Gator is the only tire that has survived a full year of FG riding under all conditions skidding through to the kevlar layer. The grip is good, too, which is important.

32c won't fit on the Mixer :(

I use 28mm conti reflex on my "city" road bike - very happy with them. Bought them 1 year ago, was riding everywhere and in the rain, and not a single flat so far, slow but sure. A lot of thread left, actually I don't notice any significant wear on the rear tire.

We may have to start a donation to get Stu a Ti expedition tractor bike. I'm thinking 26" wheel is much more practical for this type of bike - longer chainstay and better clearances for fenders, mounts , etc. Also - an integrated trailer hitch would be good. And lastly incorporate our 'Jim Beam' Chainstay with ultra-HD dropout section.

I'd probably also drop the top tube pretty low so it's easy to straddle and use Beefiest seat tube possible - maybe make the whole bloody thing out of 38.1mm x 1mm 3AL tubing.

Then comes the trailer -- hmmmm

get a new bike? more fun than changing tires.:D

We may have to start a donation to get Stu a Ti expedition tractor bike. I'm thinking 26" wheel is much more practical for this type of bike - longer chainstay and better clearances for fenders, mounts , etc. Also - an integrated trailer hitch would be good. And lastly incorporate our 'Jim Beam' Chainstay with ultra-HD dropout section.

I'd probably also drop the top tube pretty low so it's easy to straddle and use Beefiest seat tube possible - maybe make the whole bloody thing out of 38.1mm x 1mm 3AL tubing.

Then comes the trailer -- hmmmm

Honestly I should have gone that route, get you to build me a custom trailer tugging bike. I do love the Mixer 8 but yeah, the 26" wheels would be better I think, not that the 36 spoke 700C wheels have been a problem, they have held up very well indeed. Maybe I could toss the Mixer Frame and just transfer all to a new frame :rolleyes:

I'll check out the tyres you guys have suggested, thanks!:cool:

Honestly I should have gone that route, get you to build me a custom trailer tugging bike. I do love the Mixer 8 but yeah, the 26" wheels would be better I think, not that the 36 spoke 700C wheels have been a problem, they have held up very well indeed. Maybe I could toss the Mixer Frame and just transfer all to a new frame :rolleyes:

I'll check out the tyres you guys have suggested, thanks!:cool:

It's a disc frame so you can use whatever wheels you want. Go with 26" and volumnous tires for a smoother ride.

It's a disc frame so you can use whatever wheels you want. Go with 26" and volumnous tires for a smoother ride.

Wait a minute, you are saying I should put some 26" rims on there and then I'll have the clearance to fit some nice fat slick tires?

At the rear it's a Nexus 8 speed hub, so I'd want to use that same hub set up, but I had never thought of using 26" rims.... :cool:

So can I get a 26" rim with 36 holes in it that I could lace up a couple of wheels :eek:

Dude you have my brain working overtime :D

At the rear it's a Nexus 8 speed hub, so I'd want to use that same hub set up, but I had never thought of using 26" rims.... So can I get a 26" rim with 36 holes in it that I could lace up a couple of wheels
Yeah, why not!? Your home-made thing-of-beauty truing stand could use a bit of air time.

Those hubs have come down in price a lot recently, so it's almost worth leaving your existing wheelset as it is and then building up another pair to swap in/out.

Plant a matching Nexus dynamo hub on the front and you've got power for indicators, landing lights, laser cannon, and compressor (for fog horn)!

Yeah, why not!? Your home-made thing-of-beauty truing stand could use a bit of air time.

Those hubs have come down in price a lot recently, so it's almost worth leaving your existing wheelset as it is and then building up another pair to swap in/out.

Plant a matching Nexus dynamo hub on the front and you've got power for indicators, landing lights, laser cannon, and compressor (for fog horn)!

And I can get the Monster in law to pay for it all, as it is a "Shop" vehicle :D

Can you get a Dynamo hub with disk brakes?

Simple question about which tyre to buy, eleven replies in and you guys have Stu on a wheel-building DYI... :)

To answer the initial question, I'd vote for the Schwalbes because they don't have tread, which is pointless on road tyres.

Simple question about which tyre to buy, eleven replies in and you guys have Stu on a wheel-building DYI... :)

To answer the initial question, I'd vote for the Schwalbes because they don't have tread, which is pointless on road tyres.

I've got the Schwalbes Kojacks on my old Cannondale, love them, great tyres!

I've built wheels before, been a while but I've done it, I've also built wheels for a motorcycle, super motard, so it's not like I'm into new areas here, I just needed Simon to kick me to think outside the tyre size issue :D

I've got the Schwalbes Kojacks on my old Cannondale, love them, great tyres!

I've built wheels before, been a while but I've done it, I've also built wheels for a motorcycle, super motard, so it's not like I'm into new areas here, I just needed Simon to kick me to think outside the tyre size issue :D

I think you need that book, i have another copy coming, thanks Phil.

I think you need that book, i have another copy coming, thanks Phil.

OK Simon, no problem!

I took a few minutes to swap out some wheels, just to see how it looks.....

Mixer_700C_wheels_a.jpg

OK that is how the bike looks now with the 700C wheels.

Here is the amount of clearance at the back wheel......

Mixer_700C_wheels_b.jpg

Honestly, there is not much extra space in there, I tried to fit in some 32 tyres and they did NOT fit they rubbed on the frame.

and then I took the wheels off the Cannondale and fitted them to the Mixer....
Mixer_26_wheels_a.jpg

.... Imagine it without the fenders :rolleyes: They look rather odd on there I know but this is certainly possible.

Here is the clearance with the 26" wheels on the bike.....
Mixer_26_wheels_b.jpg

Those are 26" x 1.35" slick tires I think this is really going to happen :D

How's your BB and pedal clearance?

You mean from the ground? I'm sure it is fine, not like I'm going around a lot of corners at a high speed way leaned over, with the trailer.
Cranks are 170mm, if that makes a diff.

Maybe I should put them back on, and then put the front disc from the 700C wheels on to the 26" wheel (it has the hub for a disc) and then set the chain on one gear, and do a single speed test ride ...?

Back
Top Bottom