What's new

Official Ride 7/7: Tour de Fuji Tozan (16th TCC Tour)

Philip

Speeding Up
Feb 15, 2007
Here is a great idea now that the snow is melting on Mount Fuji.

A ride out from Tokyo via R246 - R16 (to Hashimoto) - R413 - R412 (just South of Sagamiko) - R517 - R35 (just south of Ootsuki) - R319 - Fuji Subaru Line from Kawaguchi-ko to Mount Fuji 5th station at an elevation of 2,300 meters.

The outbound journey is 137 km (274 km return). But the real story is the total climb involved. This would be at least 3,000 meters for the day and would require a horribly early start. Ohh! but what a day!

See the map (outbound journey) here: http://www.mapmyrun.com/run/japan/setagaya/409730138
Use the left margin to change mile to KM etc. and bottom tab to view the elevation (it maps elevation across KM resulting in a significant underestimation)

No beer bribes - this is a personal challenge. Remember, you could break the journey using the train. Anyone interested?

Once I gauge interest I can set a date for the ride.

Cheers,

Philip

How mad is this idea..?

Philip,
For a while now I've been thinking of doing exactly that ride, and combining it with a climb of Fuji-san itself. Obviously this would have to wait till later in the year (I'm thinking just before the 'official' climbing season). Ride from sea level to the 5th station, lock up the bike, climb the mountain overnight, and ride or take the train home.
So as training for the above I will come on your jaunt for sure. 23rd June is out for me. Other days are OK so far.

AW.

Sounds challenging, Philip! :thumb:

I'll be definitely aboard, as long as it's a Saturday. What do you think about organizing the ride as an official TCC tour?

Hi Alan . . .

I have run up Mount Fuji from Fuji Yoshida at 784 meters above level to the top (3,600 meters or there abouts). It took me 3 hours 30 mins (there is an annual race).

Maybe after our training ride we could do your ride - bike over night - run to the top for sunrise - back down and cycle back to Tokyo. Now that would be really crazy. Or, could go home via Yamanakako and swim across. OK, now we are really talking . . .

OK, for now we just bike to the 5th station :p

Philip

Hi Thomas . . .

Your the boss! Definitely a Saturday! I think the severity of the ride warrants an official title - and those who wish to join via train can do so in many convenient locations - so it does not have to be exclusive!

How is your new smoke free life evolving? Maybe we should make this a smoke free ride (with a special waiver for Travis for obvious reasons :D )

If enough people participate I have a few ideas for stage prizes to make things a little more interesting ;)

Cheers,

Philip

what's about next saturday - I'am in - if official or not......
(I hope I'am gonna be back already)

Definitely a Saturday! I think the severity of the ride warrants an official title - and those who wish to join via train can do so in many convenient locations - so it does not have to be exclusive!

Tour de Torture...? Tour de Fuji? :)

It's going to be your tour, Philip, so I believe we should entrust you with organising as well naming the event.

How is your new smoke free life evolving? Maybe we should make this a smoke free ride (with a special waiver for Travis for obvious reasons.

Definitely smoke-free on my part. I've had a short relapse during our Tohoku trip, but will abstain from tobacco from now on. I don't even miss it. :smoke:

Thomas . . .

Congratulations on giving up smoking. Giving up smoking has been a very important decision in my life. (Without wishing to moralize) it has opened up so many opportunities to me. Gambatte!

Regarding the Fuji ride I will take the initiative on organizing. I will give people a few days too register interest and in the mean time come up with a good name.

Cheers,

Philip

Tour de Torture...? Tour de Fuji? :)

How about Tour de Red Fuji? Considering when you guys will be having to get out of bed?:rolleyes:

Tour de 36 Views of The Heart Rate Monitor? (apologies to the artist)

Hmm... anyway, sounds incredibly challenging, good luck!

Ash

I'm IN for this one!

However, can we make it in about 2-3 weeks time?
The short-notice for these kinds of rides isn't congenial for a large-ish group.
If we can set a definite date, where everyone has time to re-arrange schedules, and set the whole day aside, then a lot more people can come along.

For me, tentatively, Sat, 2nd 9th, or 16th of June is good.

Hoping some more people can get in on this one too, and we can make it an "Official Tour".
Looking forward to it!
Travis

Stupid Plan

What a stupid plan! :confused: Very tempting, though I'm not fully confident I could make it back the whole way.

I'm racing the Fuji Subaru Line on 06/02 and Ustukushigahara on 6/23. A ride like this the week before either one would just trash the race. That leaves 06/09 as the best date for me.

My Proposed Compromise . . .

I agree with Travis that we need to provide some notice in order to encourage as much participation as possible. We can also add additional entry/exit points at Hashimoto and Kawaguchi-ko enabling people to join the ride for either 100KM or 150KM. We need to make these rides more inclusive so that other members can enjoy the great cycling that is available around the Yamanashi prefecture.

Unfortunately, setting a date is proving difficult. June 2nd is not feasible because the Fuji Subaru Line will be used for a bicycle race. I will participate in Ironman Japan on June 17th - so I cannot participate June 9th or June 16th.

Therefore, I suggest the following. I will organize an unofficial tour on Saturday May 26th as a preliminary test run. Hopefully, Alan, Thomas, Christoph and Travis can participate? Pucci-san, please accept my apologies as this will not suit your schedule.

Following the test run, I will happily organize an Official Tour in late June / early July. I think the test run will allow us to discuss and generate some good ideas on how best to accomodate the needs of the broader membership.

Is this an acceptable compromise?

Cheers,

Philip

I agree with Travis that we need to provide some notice in order to encourage as much participation as possible. We can also add additional entry/exit points at Hashimoto and Kawaguchi-ko enabling people to join the ride for either 100KM or 150KM. We need to make these rides more inclusive so that other members can enjoy the great cycling that is available around the Yamanashi prefecture.

Philip,

I agree with you on this too. It would be best if we could put in additional entry points (in a lot of rides actually) to include a broader membership. I was very happy to see this idea put forward, it is one of my themes for TCC in the future.

My own schedule won't allow this in May as I am already committed to the Westside (looking forward to it!) but if it could be pushed back to late June or even July as an official tour with various entry points I am sure lots of people would like to come. It is a fascinating, challenging run and a good idea! Lets do it!!

cheers

Ash

Clash

Philip,
26th May is the Tour de Westside, which Naomi-san wants to do. So I can't do the Fuji trial run that day. Good luck!
AW.

Sumimasen . . .

:eek: I did not intend to clash with another ride - that does not make any sense. My sincere apologies.

I think Ash has this right. We can push back both the test run and official ride to July. It makes even more sense then as the Fuji area is a welcome retreat from the hot Tokyo summer.

If we do the test ride early July this should suit you too Alan, as a prelude to your epic bike-climb.

Leave this with me - I will come back soon with a comprehensive plan.

Cheers,

Philip

Combined: Go-Go Gals & Long-haul guys!

My fiance (Nobu-chan - YES! We are going to get married!) came up with this idea!
How about early-mid July, after all the races are over & done with!?

The guys who are up for the full ride there & back, can do just that!
But the "Go-Go-Gals"; Nobu, Shinobu, Naomi, Shibayama, and a few of the other TCC ladies that have expressed interest, can catch the train out there (to Kawaguchi-ko station) and meet the guys along the way - around 11am-ish - They'll just to do the Fuji-hill-climb, and then catch the train back from there as well.

Also, for some of the guys who don't feel like going the whole distance (and, after last weeks effort, that will probably include me too), the train back from Fuji looks very inviting.
There are numerous stations along the way that can be taken, so whenever someone gets tired, they can simply say, "I'm catching the train from here!"
Very easy; no judgments, and then everyone can do the ride to his or her own ability.
Seriously, the "Subaru-line" up Mt. Fuji is a great road, and I think as many people as possible should come along.
With more than a months notice, definitely "Official ride" material!
How about it?
Travis

Congratulations!

That is great news Nobu-san and Travis. Bravo!

Also an excellent idea Nobu-san regarding the ride upto Fuji-san 5th station. I will plan accordingly.

Cheers,

Philip

Early - mid July???

I really think this ride will be great!
For the "Tri-athletes" and other "masochists" in TCC, who want to go from start to finish – about a 250km round trip – this course is excellent!

For any beginners & new people who have only joined TCC recently, and want to try climbing a mountain for the first time, it will also be great experience (and there will always be experienced riders at the back who can help out with any mechanical problems… Sora-san?).
And it is FUJI-SAN! A definite "must" for any rider's resume!

For the mid-level riders, the option of taking the train out to the start, and then back again is there as well: Some might choose to take the train out there & ride back, while others might choose to ride out with the early morning group, and take the train back from Fuji – We are trying to cater for all levels/abilities.

Philip is going to ride the complete course this Saturday (26th), to give everyone an approximate idea of the distance and time it will take.
Once he has done that, Philip & I will study the maps together, and figure out "entry/exit" points along the route so that everyone can join in! – the pace WILL NOT be as fast as Philip's solo-run. We want to keep the group together as much as possible, so the pace will be "congenial"!

For the Go-Go-Gals, we'll probably be expecting to meet you all at "Kawaguchi-ko" station at around 11am-ish.
Go-Go-Gals は、ほとんど日本人だから日本語で伝えます。
まずは、富士山は「登るべき」ヤマです。日にちはまだ決まってないんだけど、一応7月の上旬・中旬ぐらいになると思います(どうしても土曜日になります)。
我々 マゾ・タイプ(自転車アホ!言われたことある)男性は、東京から自走で行って、11:00ぐらいに「河口湖駅」で Go-Go-Gals と集合して、一緒に富士山に登りましょう!
皆さんで下ってから、我々「自転車アホ」は、自走で東京に帰って、
Go-Go-Gals は河口湖駅から電車で帰れるさ。
Philip-san は、今週末に、このコースを一人でやって、距離や時間が完全に分かったら、待ち合わせ場所・時間とかをはっきりとお知らせします。
よろしくね!人数が多いほど楽しめるでしょう!
ノブちゃんからのお知らせもお待ちしてください!T

As for the (yet to be set) dates, it has to be a Saturday!
So far, we're looking at the 7th, 14th, or 21st of July.
Can everyone who is interested in joining this ride, please post the day that is most convenient for you!
See you there! Rubber down.
Travis

It sounds very nice.YES! I would like to try! ( Imean from the Yamanaka station, not from Tokyo:warau: . Alan-san is planning to ride whole way though...)

Hopefully on 7th or 21st in July as I have to work on 14th.
Many thanks:) and Conglatulations:D

Naomi

July 7?

I will be out of Japan from July 16 through the end of August (coming back just in time for the Norikura race.) May I suggest June 30 or July 7 as possible dates?

Back
Top Bottom