What's new

5th Tokyo Nairiki Hillclimb - 2011

GSAstuto

Maximum Pace
Oct 11, 2009
Anyone else plan on doing this? I just got my entry in under the wire (374/400). This year I plan on riding a geared bike and may consider the mankini - though my previous Team Mankini riders are indisposed, it seems. If there are at least 2 other potential Team Mankini riders, please let me know. Kits are available at any Donki, btw.

If you haven't done Nairiki, it's a fun event due to the watermelon feast at the top and watching other riders crashout on the moss covered grates whilst trying to overcome the numerous 20% switchbacks on a very narrow roadway without also potentially crashing over the 100m drop-off on the final 500m.

Date(s)? Location? Link?

Well, Takaaki san and I did this. Anti climatic as the organizers decided to cancel the last 5km of the stage - thus converting a hill climb into a 5km mildly sloping TT. So - it's really the anti-hill climb. In spite of the short course, rain, blah, etc - we both managed to finish in the 10's which pushed me very near the podium, (4th place). Was really hoping for a hill - and given the expensive entry fee (8000 yen) , this meant the cost of this event was about 1000 yen/minute! Feeling a bit miffed and depressed after the race, I suggested to ride back via Takao. At least we'd get some quality road time in.

Enjoyed lunch at the Italian joynt at Takao san guchi , drank a couple beers , then rinko'd home. Not sure if I'll repeat this event next year - the course is very short and with the weather a bit spotty and the organizers lack of suitable contingency - it just doesn't rank as a great ride. And hardly a 'race' .

Ah sorry to hear, Tim. Nonetheless congrats on the 4th place - that's podium in JCRC races... Well done!

Back
Top Bottom