What's new

Race 5th Tokyo Hill Climb Hinohara Stage - 4th October 2015

GrantT

Maximum Pace
Oct 2, 2012
Official Website
Signed up for this. Tagged on a ride there yesterday with a few guys from Tuesday morning, was a nice way to remind myself what this climb is about. Course is 25 km with 900 m elevation gain, Stravr segment here. Lots of fairly flat rolling stuff before the hard work starts. I'm guessing there will be a leading bunch that will stick together through the flatter part but will gradually thin down when things head up. This being my first proper hill climb race, my best strategy will probably be to conserve as much energy as possible in the bunch then just hang on with the little-big boys when the gradient goes up. Gradient tops out at about 10% so this is doable on 11-27 for sure. Need to work on getting my leg strength up for the steeper 500 m which means Yomiuri Land repeats mid-week, and any and all long steep climbs at the weekend.

Anyone else entered this year, or done this before and can give some tips?

Last edited:
Just got back from this. 28th overall, worse than that though is being beaten by a guy with a disk wheel. Anyway. So I took the cheaper option of not staying over night in local accommodation (see photo below) but instead rode there this morning. There was also the option to sign in and get the number/timer chip yesterday, but I also decided to do that this morning, which meant leaving at an extra special AIDS o'clock time of 3:20 am. I was in the first wave of I don't know how many, out of 500 people all together. It was 15°C at the start, and 11°C at the finish about 25 km and 800 m elevation away from us. Chilly to begin with, but I soon warmed up with the first 10 km going over false flat with some rollers. Roads were closed for this one. The first wave of 80 started braking up at the first hint of consistent gradient, but I managed to stay with the front group fairly easily, until about 17 km in when I dropped my bloody chain and lost a good 200 metres of slope on them - never to be reclaimed. I'd like to think that if the chain had stayed on, being in the front group could have pushed me to greater efforts - but I doubt this lump of unemotion would have been moved much or at all. So, a 30-second delay. The gradient was already fairly high as well, so no real aero loss either. I took a few places back fairly quickly, but settled into my position for the rest of the climb fairly soon. In the end, I just span my legs and coached myself from going too far into the red. 28th overall, but you already knew that. And about 13th in my wave. Because going first doesn't mean being in the fastest group. My time: 1 hr 0 min 57 sec. Winner's: 56 min 57 sec. And the selfies.
Recommended accommodation
DSCN0738.JPG
Eating pig soup with Nalsima Freds, I mean friends
DSCN0732.JPG
The spoils (shhhh no tears, only sleep now)
DSCN0735.JPG

Last edited:
4 mins off the winner?! That is wicked mate!

Excellent work going and doing this.

Way to go man! Great result if you ask me. But dropping your chain? You did that 2 weeks ago also on our Tuesday ride. Install that catcher and be done with it.

Great effort mate and 4 minutes off the winner really is f**k all in the scheme of things.

Also, given that you rode there so early and the dropped chain, fantastic stuff.

Reactions: TCC
Am I the only one disappointed that you didn't win this thing? Try harder next time.
;)

Thanks for the messages. I doubt I will ever win a hill climb on 10% grades while living in Japan - the top-placed guys in that race were all much lighter than me in a way my bone structure will probably never allow me to match. Never mind though, I did get shouted at by a police bike for descending too fast off the mountain so I got one win of the day.

Reactions: TCC
Chasing weight losses against people who can naturally live at a lighter weight isn't healthy anyway. It's punishing on your immune system and taxing on your general wellbeing.
There is still joy to be had in doing your best whatever your weight, just as you always do. Your time was really great up tomin no mori. Top 10 on that climb is something you can be proud of!
Well done mate!

Whoa! top 10 on tomin no mori is pretty insane!!
Compared to all the other toy KOMs you seem to be chasing all the time, that is seriously impressive!
Respect! I can almost forgive your orange stickers now... almost ;)

Back
Top Bottom