What's new
  • Dear valued Members,

we kindly ask you to post/repost your classified ads to our new Classifieds section. This subforum is now in read-only status. If you still have active ads, repost them to the new Classified section.

Please submit multiple items seperately: one entry for each item you'd like to post.

Thank you!

Solved 5700/6700/7900 Right Shifter (rear derailleur)

Sikochi

Maximum Pace
Sep 13, 2010
My right shifter has not been in the best of health recently - the plastic inner lever stop came off a long time ago, and the Shimano mechanic who looked at it, said some tape would be fine, but recently, the brake cable has started sticking (not releasing properly) and the LBS reckon the shifter is not serviceable. Hence, wondering if anyone has a spare shifter lying around they don`t need. I have 105 on the bike, but any shifter that will do the job is fine (provided it is less than a new 105 one ;) ) The plan was to use drive train failure as an excuse to jump to Ultegra Di2, but given 11-speed Ultegra is on the way, now doesn`t seem the most opportune time to make that leap.

Main thing to remember, is I don`t live in Tokyo, so the shifter would need to be posted down here to Kochi, but obviously would reimburse postage, and payment would need to be by bank transfer.

Yeah, what James said.

I had issues with a DA7900 shifter that I solved by cleaning out the cable routing, replacing the cables and lubing. I thought it was a goner, but this saved it.

Turned out there was absolutely nothing wrong with the shifter. I realise yours may indeed be buggered, but defo worth looking around the issue.

Thanks for the comments: my initial thoughts were it was just the cable, but not being technically minded, I deferred to what the LBS said. I shall have a closer look...

Had a look at the shifter on Sunday and the problem was the inner lever sticking and not releasing. So duly lubed the pivot point until the cows came home, and after a while, boing, it started releasing quicker than the left one - must be like old age...you don`t notice the gradual deterioration until there is a stark reminder of how things used to be. So set to work on the left one as well. Looks like I might be waiting a long time to justify that Ultegra Di2 upgrade :(.

PS: How do I change the title to solved?

Currently, the only people who can change thread prefixes are Thomas and I. I will change this at some point when I get a spare moment, so that the thread starter can change the prefix too. Oddly, for such a seemingly small change, that is going to take a lot of editing of user permissions, etc., so is not on my immediate hit list due to how long it will take. As with everything like this, it is on my list and I will not forget. Cheers.

OK, perhaps a quick fix, which I am testing; I have added a new Prefix to the Classified section called Test. Can someone make a test thread called anything you like in Classified, use this Test prefix and then post it. Then, see if it is able to be 'edited'; if my work is correct, there will be an 'Edit' button on the right hand side of the thread title.

If that works, I can fix the problem quickly. If not, you are just going to have to wait :)

Back
Top Bottom