What's new

5/26 - L'eroica Loop

GSAstuto

Maximum Pace
Oct 11, 2009
I will ride the 'classic' Tokyo -> Otarumi -> Wada -> Tokyo loop next Sat. on my steel bike. We'll stop for lunch at the Italian Restaraunt in Takao Sanguchi , then continue back to Tokyo. If anyone wants to join here are the rules:

1) Steel Bikes Only.
2) Tubulars Only.
3) Downtube Shifters Only.
4) Screw-on Freewheel / Cassette / Fixed.
5) No clip-in pedals. Toeclip / strap / cleat is OK.
6) Anyone riding Japanese other than pre 1990 Suntour must buy the first round. (Japanese frameset is OK)
7) Anyone riding Huret 1st drink for free.

Start time is about 0700 (Yamtedori / McD)
Finish time should be about 1500 (including lunch) - I'll pick a good finishing restaraunt / pub as well.

Since Sunday is ToJ in Oi - I think Sat is best for this ride. I'll probably ride out on Sun as well to watch the ToJ.

Sounds like fun!

Um, as retro as my ride is, I'll struggle to meet the requirements for pedals. It would be hard to procure shoes that take the toe clip cleats. I'll try, but I do already use Keywins, a design from 1983.. www.keywin.com/history.php

Your use of Campy Deltas allows you any choice of substitution!

<I love making up rules on the fly>

Sounds like fun!

Um, as retro as my ride is, I'll struggle to meet the requirements for pedals. It would be hard to procure shoes that take the toe clip cleats. I'll try, but I do already use Keywins, a design from 1983.. www.keywin.com/history.php

Thanks for your benevolence, Tim! I'll go ahead, dust off the downtube shifters and de-ergo.

Should be able to get over Wada with the 13 - 23 maillard screw on I think.

Only other problem is I might have to work Saturday :eek:uch:. We'll see.

Dave

I would love to come to Tokyo for this one, but have a race that weekend. Please fillet braze me in on the next steel ride!

Sounds like fun - similar to what we did a couple weeks ago? As you are making rules on the fly, 2 exceptions, OK?

OK 1) Steel Bikes Only.
NO 2) Tubulars Only.
OK 3) Downtube Shifters Only.
Have hybrid, so OK 4) Screw-on Freewheel / Cassette / Fixed.
NO 5) No clip-in pedals. Toeclip / strap / cleat is OK.
OK 6) Anyone riding Japanese other than pre 1990 Suntour must buy the first round. (Japanese frameset is OK)
What? 7) Anyone riding Huret 1st drink for free.

Hi John , you're in cause your bike is an SLX with a seat tube dimple. That is more than PRO.

Assuming the weather holds out - I want to leave the McD (17 & 14) by 0800. As this will be a Gentlemen's Ride (and Ladies) we'll not be so strict - but I would like to roll as soon as possible to avoid too much return traffic. I prefer a modified Rt 20 ride out - Tamagawa is killer this time of the year for my hayfever.

My rough guess is 8.15am ?? depends on the roll out from McD. Can you mesg your keitai number? Then I can give you a spot check.

If you put up a Google maps link for the Mc Donalds, I'll meet you there. Just realised the ride starts IN Mc Donalds. :)

Dave

In McDonalds? Just the 3 of us? After so many times not being able to ride and spending over 10,000 yen in labor charges at an LBS today for some trivial work to be done, I am more than looking forward to getting out for a ride....

Sorry - AT McD --- here: 35.69675, 139.68348

And I moved the start time to 0800 to give a little extra time. Actually a couple more may join up.

Thanks for joining up on this, guys! Sorry for the late hookup at Takao. I got the depart time right - but had a 'Fringe Event' confusing the rendevous. We'll do this again, soon, I hope!

Thanks for organizing this ride for 'real', steel bikes, Tim. It was fun to deal with the friction gears etc and play at being laurent Fignon or whoever.

You looked the part with your Pantani sunglasses and facial hair. Maybe I'll take a trip to Don Qiote for a staple-on Fignon pony tail for next time.

Back
Top Bottom