What's new

40th Birthday Ride

Mike

Maximum Pace
Sep 24, 2007
Hey guys and gals, I've beeing umming and ahhing about whether I should celebrate this big day and being more vain than most I almost chose to ignore it altogether and pretend I was turning 38:confused:

Anyway what better way to celebrate turning the big 40 than going on a ride with some of my good friends here and with all the testosterone being thrown around on Deej's thread it might be a good chance to see who actually is the fastest :bike:

So if you have the time your presence (not presents) would be great:p I thought I'd lead a ride from Hon Atsugi Station down to Hanbara, over two very nice mountain passes (one closed to traffic), and two climbs over Yabitsu Toge, once from the north and the final one from the revered south. From the top of Yabitsu we head down to Miyagase Dam and return to Hon Atsugi. It's a great ride, over 110km but with 2000m plus in elevation with pretty much no traffic.

There are lockers at Hon Atsugi so you can stash bike bags etc there.

And just one more incentive, the final climb up Yabitsu is very similar in length and gradient to Kusatsu so perfect for a training run before the big race!

Here's the route:

http://www.mapmyfitness.com/routes/view/72515232/?new_route=1

Date : Saturday March 31st
Time : 9am (It probably won't take longer than 5 hours)
Place: Hon Atsugi Station (Odakyu Line)

Hope to see you there:D

Im in Mikey - might as well come to your place first though.

Already we have 3 takers for this ride and it just so happens probably the the 3 biggest smak talkers on here! Showdown Baby:p Who else is in?

Fareast (James)
Owen
Deej

Already we have 3 takers for this ride and it just so happens probably the the 3 biggest smak talkers on here! Showdown Baby:p Who else is in?

Looking forward to it! Last time I was in the mountains was ... October? November? Whoa. Can that be right?

But I have been doing intervals at the gym. Maybe I'll write a post about that ... oh wait.

Fareast (James)
Owen
Deej

I am in :).
Last time Yabitsu ... must have been October.

I might join. No winning aspirations at the moment (also "recovering" from a third baby..., but will try to fit-in some intervals in the remaining time...).
If we get more than 10 riders, I vote for each rider putting in 1000yen to make things a bit more interesting :rolleyes:

Malte, I've just changed it so hope you can see it now.

Yes works fine now, thanks.

Deej, so let's do the final Yabitsu climb as a TT, the 1400m hills before are just for warm-up :D.

Yes works fine now, thanks.

Deej, so let's do the final Yabitsu climb as a TT, the 1400m hills before are just for warm-up :D.

ha ha goodluck getting Deej to do that! He's like a rabbit at a greyhound track, on the first hill he'll be off:p

ha ha goodluck getting Deej to do that! He's like a rabbit at a greyhound track, on the first hill he'll be off:p

That's fine we can have some cat and mouse play before ...
... but the descends should be at everybody comfort speed - I remember there was a lot of gravel last time, he will hurt himself otherwise :eek:uch:.

... but the descends should be at everybody comfort speed - I remember there was a lot of gravel last time, he will hurt himself otherwise :eek:uch:.

Daredevil descending helped by my body weight is about the only chance I have to keep in touch with this high-profile group, but I am very interested. I will add a small number to my age the day before as well, so there might be hydration related complications, but I plan to crash into the group from the North around Aikawa:bike:

If I'm back from Palm Springs I may join this - as well, I'm <another> end of March 'baby' . (55yo).

I can see you haven't done many rides with some of the old-school TCCers, Malte. Here's how it's going to work: We will cane it up every hill and descend together. TT on the last climb? Dude, TT on every climb. :)

I was thinking about this ride, but unless I spark up my 250cc motorcycle I think I'll pass :D

Is that a two seater Stu? I have seen Malte on a couple Chiba TCC rides and he insanely fast. Now that he has a new bike, with access to his big chain ring, and pedals that don't loosen on him, it'd be fun to see just exactly how this goes down.

How about doing a live video stream of the action and playing it through Justin.TV ?

I can see you haven't done many rides with some of the old-school TCCers, Malte. Here's how it's going to work: We will cane it up every hill and descend together. TT on the last climb? Dude, TT on every climb. :)

That's cool as long as everybody is clear when a hill starts (and ends). What's about this:

Climb1:
start @19.4km (after the 412 and where the road turns into the forest)
end @top 23.1km
3.7km (257m)

Climb2:
start: @29.5km (after climbing over the gate)
end: @34.2km
4.7km (418m)

Climb3:
start: 41.5km (when reaching R70)
end: @top 49km
7.5km (352m)

Climb4:
that's easy - starting from R245 until top of yabitsu
11.7km (658m)

My suggestion is to sum up all times, I guess everybody has a GPS device (e.g. Garmin) or smartphone.with e.g. Strava app.

Back
Top Bottom