What's new

Ride 3rd - 5th Nov: GS Astuto ride/training camp with Emma Pooley

No need to take everything on the interweb so damned seriously:oops:

You'll do yourself an acerbic

Reactions: SJ1
My youngest lad races in one of Emma Pooley's old Cervelo Test Team skinsuits!

As a small rider I think one of the reasons she hit it off with Tim is that he would make race worthy smaller wheels for her.

She raced his wheels at the Taiwan KOM challenge. And they were subsequently featured on the GCN show.

I wonder, did that Sense brand ever take off?

Andy

Don't think so cos shortly after that she started on GCN so there wasn't anyone fronting the brand.

I didn't realize she'd quit GCN. That shows you how much I've been watching it since Matt Stephens left. She was the best of the new ones.

(the cinematography is getting better, I'll give them that)

Yeah, it was a pity. Just like Matt and Simon, Emma had her own style. And she was instantly respected by the guys. If memory serves, she was faster at the Taiwan KOM race than Simon and Matt. The next generation of presenters doesn't mesh very well — yet. Olli is a bit too goofy for my taste, and the two other ex pros haven't managed to win me over yet.

I think all the GCN presenters are pretty good or better, individually. The problem is when they're put together and instructed to produce amusing banter. Occasionally it clicks; but more often than not they do a tolerably good job (certainly better than I could) of actors dutifully producing banter -- and the hammy jocosity of it all makes it tiresome.

Yeah, it was a pity. Just like Matt and Simon, Emma had her own style. And she was instantly respected by the guys. If memory serves, she was faster at the Taiwan KOM race than Simon and Matt. The next generation of presenters doesn't mesh very well — yet. Olli is a bit too goofy for my taste, and the two other ex pros haven't managed to win me over yet.

(still better than GCN Japan's presenters.... but I give them a break since they have a smaller, less experienced team.)

Wasn't keen on Hank till the penny farthing challenge. So much schadenfreude.

The only GCN Japan video I've watched was the climbing one and I was disappointed that it didn't mention gearing. I'm definitely with joewein on that topic. Judging from what I see for sale second hand, a lot of not-so-old road bikes out there, say 2015, are overgeared. Even Tiagra/105 level bikes that could well be someone's first road bike. When I got back into cycling, I'd red line on 10% on a mountain bike with a 22-32 low end. A 36-25 road bike would have put me off for life.

(still better than GCN Japan's presenters.... but I give them a break since they have a smaller, less experienced team.)
I tried watching a few videos, but they were neither technical enough to appeal to the gear heads nor entertaining enough to appeal to casual viewers. Clearly, being a presenter and/or entertainer is a skill. And GCN made huge improvements over the years as far as their video quality is concerned — and I mean this just from a technical perspective even.

I tried watching a few of GCN Japan's videos, but they were neither technical enough to appeal to the gear heads nor entertaining enough to appeal to casual viewers. Clearly, being a presenter and/or entertainer is a skill. And GCN made huge improvements over the years as far as their video quality is concerned — and I mean this just from a technical perspective even. However, their current line-up of presenters doesn't gel … yet?

Yeah, the videos at least will hopefully get better soon in terms of content. Some of them are like "What, that's it?"
They need to at least film their weekly shows in something other than some guy's apartment.

How about 47-24? (That's for mountainous rides; elsewhere it would be higher.) I kid you not.
Oh yeah, they were hardcore back in the day. Some great stories. Eddy Merckx 140km solo breakaway, when already leading the Tour by eight minutes.

When anyone was grinding on 47-24, I'm pretty sure they wouldn't have been following GCN Japan's climbing advice about "relaxed shoulders" and "lightly gripping the handlebar". That all assumes you can spin your lowest gear.

Back
Top Bottom