Tech 3D Interactive Bicycle Application

TCC

Tokyo Cycling Club
Jun 30, 2013
Hi

Being a hyper-cyborg from space, I have decided to make a series of interactive 3D models, showing how the different parts of a bicycle work.

I am currently in the very early stages of this, in all aspects; modelling, lighting, controls, coding, etc., so it is going to be a while until there is anything really presentable, but I thought I would let you have a look at what I have so far.

This uses the Unity3D games engine, so in order to use it you will need to install the Unity3D player in your browser (unless you are a gaming nerd and have it already).

I am storing the early builds here;

https://tokyocycle.com/bbs/3D/Desktop.html

So, check it out and see if you can get it to work.

The goal of all this is to make a complete bike in 3D, with all manner of interactive parts, and so on. If you have any ideas for what could be cool to add to this, post them up. I am really at the beginning of all this, so it might be a while before any of your suggestions get implemented but yeah, go for it anyway.

For now, don't think that the graphics are going to stay at this quality level; they will be massively and sickening hench by the time they are finished; this is just a first test to get things going.

Compatibility; this should work on Windows, and Mac. It will not work on Linux unless you install a Linux Unity3D compatibility plug in, and that is up to you to do (Linux nerds should find this no problem, of course). I have only tested it on Windows in Chrome and Firefox so if you get it to work on anything other than these please do say so, so I know.

Nice one.

wexford

Maximum Pace
Jul 3, 2012
Tokyo
I guess a MB weighs less and less each year. Hmmm, perhaps to address @leicaman 's question you could put a 3D printer to use. Might be a rather cool end to the project.

TCC

Tokyo Cycling Club
Jun 30, 2013
Updates.

-Transparency started on outer elements.
-Zoom added to mouse roller wheel.
-Text cleaned up
-Code optimized to not melt your GPU.

Link in first post takes you to the latest version (and will do always).

bawbag

Maximum Pace
Mar 20, 2013
Tokyo
Can't play Superhot without unity.

Nice work so far. Needs a wonky 70s synthesizer melody playing in the background, though.

TCC

Tokyo Cycling Club
Jun 30, 2013
Haha, yeah, I am well open to audio suggestions.

I had the ides with the hub, at least, to take a laptop and a mic down to the bike shop and record the freehub ratchet noise of a range of different hubs, then offer these all as options on the page, so you can hear what different hubs sound like. I was also going to make a custom audio script which would replicate the effect that different rim materials and sizes has on the ratchet sound; a large, empty chamber carbon rim has an almost vowel filter kind of high shelf filter effect on the sound, whereas a metal low profile rim, has a kind of metallic flange effect, with the delay set right down so it sounds, well, metallic...