What's new

294km in one day!

WhiteGiant

Maximum Pace
Nov 4, 2006
There is a fast-run event held every year from Tokyo to Itoigawa in Niigata-ken!
294km in 12 hours - Av.Spd: 25km/h
This year, it will be held on May 19th.
Entry fee is pretty expensive - \20,000 if you choose the hotel stay-over. Or \14,000 if you want to come back to Tokyo the same day.
I've heard about this ride from quite a few people, and it sounds really tough!
http://toito.hp.infoseek.co.jp/
I don't know when the entry closes, but if anyone is interested, please reply soon!
I really want to try it!
Travis

I'm definitely with you, Travis! I will have to return to Tokyo the same day though.

that sound like a funny trip - untill now it seams that i'am in japan to that time:)
i would also prefer to return the same day.....

cheers
christoph

Itoigawa

Done that one five times. The problem is that the first 200km are on routes 20 and 19. Too many trucks, tunnels, exhaust fumes. The last 70km are a blast, but I've come to dislike the rest of the course. In any case, my parents will be visiting Japan then, so a full weekend event is out of the question. I think my best time was 11.5 hours.

Still ON!!

Good news & Bad news...
The bad news is, that we missed the registration for this race...
The good news is, that we are still ON to ride it!

Thomas & I have been looking forward to this for too long to cancel; And some more good news is that it's NOT an "official" race, so there's no reason that we can't just say, "Hey, we were planning to ride this course anyway. We didn't know that all you guys would be out here racing today! We're just out here, doing our own thing. Sorry!" And more good news; We save ourselves \14,000 in entry fees.

We DO however, have to finish the course within about 12 hours, so we can catch the last train home (that's an average speed of about 24-25km/h).

Also, we were hoping for some other guys to join us - namely, Christoph (Cinelli) and Philip!
How are you guys for the 19th?
Anyone else who's free, and can go the distance; Of course you're welcome!

Aaron (Pucci)?
Sean?
Paul (Specbiker)?
Paul (fluro2au)?
AlanW?
Thierry (Terry)?
TOM?
Eric?
Shay?
Ken?
Daan?
Araim1?
The more, the merrier!

The plan so far, is to stay at a business-hotel in Hachioji the night before, wake up at 4:30-5am, have breakfast, and be rolling to the start (Takao - 8km away) by 5:30. The start is at 6:00 from Takao, and then it's a free-for-all... for the next 300km! We'll all have to check our own times, but that's no problem if we all roll out from Takao at the same time.

You'll need to take all the food & drinks you can carry to avoid stopping - I've already got planned:
4x packed sandwiches,
2x cans of "Calorie-mate" Cocoa,
3x packets of cashew nuts,
2x "Weider" Energy gels,
And 3x full bottles of "Pocari sweat".

But that's just me!
Take what you need, and see if you can go the distance!!!
Rubber down! Travis

Itoigawa, considering debut!

Wow, 294km in 1 day!! Enormous challenge! Thanks for including me in the list of candidate riders, Travis. Since I live in Fuchu, I will first ride to the business hotel where you guys will be staying at in Hachioji. Or perhaps there is a more convenient spot to assemble like in front of the 7/11 in Takao? How would you describe the parcours? Fast with lots of flats or slow with lots of hillclimbs? Terry, how about you...since it is a Saturday you can sleep all Sunday!

I can not confirm yet - but I would like to join.
As far as I understand it's may not nessescary just know.
I will let you know asap....

Cheers
Christoph

Hachioji, OR Takao!

He he he! 294km in 12 hours... OR, 600km in 24 hrs..........
Seriously, I don't think I'll be riding back from there with Thomas!
That's a bit of a stretch!

Alrighty then! The first meeting place is Hachioji station at 5:30 (North exit - near the bus round-about).
The second meeting place is out the front of Takao station (>TOM: I think it's a "Family Mart"), on Rte.20 at 6:00.

COURSE: As far as I can tell, the course is not too hilly - it goes up gradually from the start for about 200km-ish; at between 1-4%. Nothing seriously steep; just a constant drag UP - but there are some long tunnels.
However, after we all get to Matsumoto, there's a down-hill that's a lot steeper for the last 70-80km, back down to the same elevation we started at.
So the first 2/3 is a long (not too steep) grind up, while the last part is an easy roll down to the coast.

The most important part is the FOOOD!!!
Hope to see you all there!

So far:

Travis
Thomas
TOM
Christoph (maybe)

Rubber down! T

forfeiture

Thanks Travis...this sure looks like a course I could probably handle. Unfortunately I found out in the meantime that I have a conflict next Saturday and will have to forfeit the ride and my debut very much to my regret... For next year, let's plan well ahead and meet the deadline. Why not make it an official TCC ride?

Travis and Thomas . . .

Please accept my apologies as I am unable to join you. I have commitments on both Friday and Saturday evening which I must attend.

You fantastic tour will have been good training. Gambatte!

Philip

Can't go

I've done this one five times (best time 11:39:39) but my parents are visiting Japan this month. 2 day bike trips are just not on the menu.

Have a great time. Hope to ride with you after the 05/02 Fuji race.

Aaron

Itoigawa!

It looks like it's just Me & Thomas again - TCC's "Jitensha-aho / cycling-fools"!

>TOM: Sorry to hear that you can't make it!
>Philip: You too! I was looking forward to another long ride with you.
>Pucci (Aaron): 5 times is probably enough... but it would've been fun!
>Cinelli (Christoph): Have you checked your schedule yet? You're our last hope to make it a TCC 3-rider team!

And TOM, depending on our performance this year (still not sure whether I can actually "go the distance" or not), we'll think about making it an Official Tour next year.

>Thomas: If it's just going to be the two of us, do you want me book a hotel-room for you in Hachioji? \6,000. Let me know!
T

Suwa-ko

Travis, making this ride an official TCC tour would be great! I'll be there next year!! For this Saturday, there is still a tiny chance I may join after all. I should know for sure by Friday. Anyways, I would not be riding all the way to Itoigawa but hop a train home nearby Suwa Lake.

Saturday!

2 days away!

>Thomas: The accommodation is no problem. See you at 11pm.
>Christoph: Do you know if you can make it yet? Free beer....
>TOM: How is your situation? Even if you can only come as far as Suwa-ko, it would be great to ride with you.
Anyway, I'll send my contact details in a Private-Message.
Rubber down! T

Takao rendez-vous at 6:00

Travis, Thomas:

Weather permitting, I will be in!! A friend of mine might join as well...this would make 4 riders. He will be cycling from Futakotamagawa and I from Fuchu. Are we still meeting near Takao Station (the Rte. 20 intersection with the Family Mart & 7/11 on each side) at 6:00? The official "Fast Run" starts 30 minutes earlier, right? I will need to see how bad the forecast is for Saturday but even with a possibility/threat of later rain, it should still be worth trying if the sky looks good in the early hours of Saturday since we would not be very far from the train at any one point!

Possibly 5 - Final details.

Thomas & I are set for accommodation in Hachioji, so we'll be at the Takao meeting place on time, just before 6am.
>TOM; I sent you my keitai-number via a PM. Hopefully your friend can come as well!
>Christoph; If I have to bribe you with beer... How about a whole 6-pack? I'll help you drink it:D I hope you can make it - I sent you my phone number in the same PM too.

Travis
Thomas
Christoph
TOM
TOM's friend

Let's meet outside either of the convenience-stores near Takao station at 5:55am.
We'll want to be rolling by 6:00.
I'm not sure what time the official start-time is, but we'll probably end up riding in a "bunch" of other riders for at least the first 100km.
After that, it's each man for himself, and "anything goes".
See you there! Travis

5:55 am @ 7/11 Takao Rte. 20

Travis,

My friend (David) & I will be leaving for Takao from Sekidobashi at 4:50 (David is from Futakotamagawa). Under normal conditions, we will make at our rendez-vous spot by 5:55. As to starting rolling by 6:00, please allow us to get our provisions at the 7/11 shop first! David is a pretty fast cruiser on flats (and a real champion on descents) but we need to give him just a little extra time on climbs that are steeper than 6-7% (like the first Otarumi-touge). Can't wait to see everyone! Let's pray we won't have any thunderstorms in Nagano. With all the carbon, we would be moving targets and I have a real phobia about cycling in thunderstorms!

Back
Top Bottom