What's new

28th Tour De Yatsugatake Hill Climb - 4/20

Doug3

Maximum Pace
Jun 24, 2010
Registration is open for a couple more weeks on this hill climb. I did it in 2012 and it was shortened due to weather. In that case, from 25-15km, so it was still a decent ride. They also have a special category for people weighing more than 75kg. I recommend it as a decent local event.

http://www.rising-publish.co.jp/TDY2014/index.html

I'm in! I wonder when they weigh you? At the top or the bottom. Ha ha ha! It might matter for me!

I am also in;) ,not in the ''special category'' though.
I registerd it in January before the continual heavy snow:(
Hopefully, the race will be held.

Is that rider + bike weight, or just the rider?

OK just signed up. So I guess I have to do it now. What do you guys usually do for accommodation?

Wanted to ride this but will be in Argentina that weekend:(Hope you get the full course this year!

We stayed at ''Saku-Ichimanri Onsen Hotel 佐久一萬里温泉ホテルゴールデンセンチュリー'' last year, and have booked the same hotel for Sat, the day before the race already.
http://www.ichimanri.co.jp/

A bit far from the starting point, but it's not too expensive and has nice onsen :)

Completed this race on Sunday.
Naomi and I did a gentle reconnaissance ride up to the top on Saturday prior to registration. The course is quite long for a hillclimb race, rising from 830m all the way to the top of Mugikusatoge at 2127m over 25.2 km. The gradient is steady, with a couple of flatter sections where you have to crank up the big gears and push the bike to high speed so as not to lose time. There is one very short downhill about 1.5 km from the end, which lasts 500m before the final push to the goal. Another challenge is the weather. We were lucky this year because the forecast was for rain on Sunday, but although it was overcast, the rain held off and we were able to race in dry conditions. It was still very cold though; only 5 degrees when we arrived at the parking area at the base of the course.

I rode in Champion class and we started first, bang on 9am. There were 38 racers in my class. I was feeling OK but even though I have been training reasonably hard and seeing some improvement, after 3 or 4 km I could not hold on to the lead group any more and had to watch them disappear up the road, which is rather dispiriting. That left me in no-man's land with only a couple of riders in sight. I was able to catch the first one and near the top I caught the second as well, but he had more in the tank than I did and re-passed me in the final km. I ended up 14th, with a time almost exactly the same as last year (1:10:55 vs 1:10:52). And I found the rider I had worked so hard to pass was an invited semi-pro from team Matrix-Powertag, so wasn't even in the official results. Overall I was disappointed with my speed at this race. I will have to step up my training.

Meanwhile Naomi-san was battling away in the Ladies' class. She blasted her way to the top, 3.5 minutes faster than her previous best, but was beaten in the final 2km by Maki Hakamada. Naomi took second place and will be looking for revenge at Kurumazaka.

Results

Thanks for the detailed report and pics @AlanW
Well, done Naomi san for a scorching ride on a cold day... I am sure you will reek revenge on your rival at Kurumazaka. Sounds like the competition in Champion class was particularly tough this year but I'm sure Alan is just warming up for the hill climb season and all that extra training will kick in due course. Anyway kudos to you both.

How did the others of you who took part find the race?

I cancelled, decided to build my bike instead. The weather had been looking crap leading up to it, that helped me make up my mind.

Can I ask - what time did Naomi do? Good job

1:23:4 Which would have been second in all women racers that day!:tup Those two look like they have it all over the rest, should be a good battle next time they meet.

My time was 1:23:41(avg 17.92km/h for 25km with1300m climbing) that 45s behind the winner:cry::cry::cry: I had no power left to chase her in the final 2km even though I went up faster than last year by 3m 16s even in the freezing cold.
Mika-san,the winner of Yatsugatake 2014, was the Queen of Norikura in 2013 and is very very strong this year.
I will beat her at the next race:p:p:p which is comimg soon. I just need stronger legs and an indomitable spirit;) Where there is a will, there is a way!

PS:I finally beat the former olympic representative Yukari Nakagome-san at Yatsugatake HC race:tup I am sooooo pleased about that:flip:

おばちゃんライダー頑張ります!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom