What's new

Ride 220 km loop of Minamiaizu (Fukushima)

Oooh, you meant to ride from Koriyama to Aizuwakamatsu on Saturday the day before. That makes more sense.

I have not heard there's a fee. No, I suspect that most of the riders will be going very slow. I would like to finish ASAP, though.

yeah, with a 4 am start an outsider has to come in the day before, there's no other way. when you say you want to finish it quicker than the others, does it mean you don't ride as a group but go on a decided course each in one's own pace? kinda not sure what to expect here, a social group ride or a each-man-for-himself almost race like situation? ;)

There may be a nominal fee of 2,500 or so covering insurance and probably the support car.... at least according to a post from four years ago.

I will ride with the group unless they are just painfully slow. I think the scheduled time of arrival is like 6:30 p.m.

I have never done this event before so I don't know exactly how it will work.

is there any way you can check these details? I mean, if the fees and insurance etc are involved I'm sure there must be prior registration too etc. there's too much unknowns at the moment

thanks for sharing the details in the PM. I'm afraid I'm gonna have to take a pass this time after all. very busy with work, preparations for the EU trip soon, arranging to meet possible bike buyers etc etc. just no time to add researching and booking hotels, registrations, weather guessing, all the preparations... it was tempting, and Fukushima is still among the top priorities for new places to explore within Japan but just not this time around OK. if I lived closer by and/or were less busy with a bunch of other stuff all at the same time.....

Epic ride was epic. The weather was looking sketchy until basically the night before. The bottom did end up failing out in the last 30 miles or so, but that's not nearly as bad as starting a 13+ hour ride (total time) in the pouring rain.

1,500 meters of climbing but most of it was rolling terrain.

I would have finished faster but the group stopped at least 10 times.

My right knee was killing me by about mile 80. I have never done anything over 75 miles.

Edit: I should mention that it was *basically* all solo since I was by myself most of the time...

Edit: I should mention that it was *basically* all solo since I was by myself most of the time...
why is that? did you go ahead of them when they stop or did they drop you or what? I thought it was gonna be a group ride...

why is that? did you go ahead of them when they stop or did they drop you or what? I thought it was gonna be a group ride...

yes, I spent much of the ride off the front. There wasn't much point, since I would just end up having to wait at the stopping points...

I see, so it was a leagu leisure ride, touristy pace etc. That's why the return was scheduled for late evening even though the start was 4am

I see, so it was a leagu leisure ride, touristy pace etc. That's why the return was scheduled for late evening even though the start was 4am

It would have been five hours shorter if I had gone solo....

Back
Top Bottom