What's new

Ride 21st Feb - Saturday

leicaman

Maximum Pace
Sep 20, 2012
Hi all
I'll be heading out for a ride into the usual area around the lower northern Saitama mountains on Saturday 21st Feb. I haven't sorted a route yet but thought I would let everyone know. Meeting at the spaceship at 8am.
INFO:
Meet Time: 8am
Meet Place: The Spaceship
Climbing: 2300-2500m
Distance: 166km from the spaceship if you ride home (Possible bail out at Sakado)
Route Here

Last edited:
Thread updated with a route. There are a few points im not sure about (especailly from 109km to 113) but it should be ok

Selfie time! First up, @saibot and @Chrisisism solemnly celebrate Princess Leonore's 1st birthday, while @Aron B rides an invisible pony:
catlike-squeal1.jpg

Some stress-tested new wheels. @leicaman said he was feline pretty good while riding them:
catlike-squeal2.jpg

Three reprobates escaping from the fuzz:
catlike-squeal3.jpg

Mother pucker:
catlike-squeal5.jpg

Proper Rapha-ing it:
catlike-squeal6.jpg

@leicaman contemplates taking a shortcut to the bottom:
catlike-squeal7.jpg

The magical wonders of Saitama:
catlike-squeal8.jpg

Sprinting for the final onigiri (tuna mayonnaise, in case you were wondering):
catlike-squeal9.jpg

This turned out to be a cracking little ride. It started off not so well by me running over a cat at around 35kph. It had run out in front of me and narrowly escaped my bike, to then be confronted by a car coming in the other direction. It made a split second decision and thought that being hit by me was a safer bet than being hit by a 1 ton heap of metal. The poor thing went under my front tyre, bounced up and hit my feet then went back under the rear wheel. Luckily I managed to stay upright but I'm not sure how the cat was. Hope the poor little thing is ok.
No other dramas until @Andy in Tokyo got a flat and changed it, replacing it with an old tube that he had previously punctures. Smart move mister. That little pitstop took way longer than it should have so we decided to finish the ride in Sakado. This decision turned out to be a very good one when we stopped for an almost 2 hour lunch. Back on the road, we hit some unexplored roads and I was very pleasantly with what I found. A few roads had a bit of debris but nothing too bad. We did get a little lost at one point but that was quickly rectified. Great weather for a great ride with four great riding companions. Thanks to all who came along.

And now for a selfie video

This turned out to be a cracking little ride. It started off not so well by me running over a cat at around 35kph. It had run out in front of me and narrowly escaped my bike, to then be confronted by a car coming in the other direction. It made a split second decision and thought that being hit by me was a safer bet than being hit by a 1 ton heap of metal. The poor thing went under my front tyre, bounced up and hit my feet then went back under the rear wheel. Luckily I managed to stay upright but I'm not sure how the cat was. Hope the poor little thing is ok.
No other dramas until @Andy in Tokyo got a flat and changed it, replacing it with an old tube that he had previously punctures. Smart move mister. That little pitstop took way longer than it should have so we decided to finish the ride in Sakado.

Soz about the inner tube debacle. Will be popping down to Jimbocho tomorrow to get some new ones. And some new tires while I'm at it. The big question is, 23mm or 25mm?

I don't think you Mlac Peeked that cat: I'm pretty sure that it managed to peg it into the hedge. It'll probably be waiting for us next week with a few mates and piano-wire strung across the road at neck height.

Really nice ride, once more. I felt much better than the previous two times this season, but it may have been the lack of headwind on the Arakawa that made everything seem easier. Surprisingly, it was my/our first time descending through the enchanted forest. Really beautiful, the type everyone should see at least once in their lives.

Weather was perfect, as was the company. Pizza was satisfying but slow. Koburi-toge from Ogose had icy patches but the remainder of the Green Line was fine. The next two weekends should have nice ume blossoms in Ogose, 越生梅林, if anyone is interested.

Good to ride with @Chrisisism for the first time.

almost fell of my chair when i read that and looked at the picture
You know I have a lot of things on my mind.

Back
Top Bottom