What's new

2020 Pro Tour return

Elzico2012

Maximum Pace
Jan 29, 2014
Delightful. Pro Cycling is back, with the Vuelta a Burgos this week, but moreover, the Strade Bianche this Saturday, always an entertaining race. I have been missing like many watching cycling since March and will certainly enjoy today's race through internet. It seems only J Sports in Japan will broadcast cycling this year , the main classics and Grand Tours (not today's race)
DAZN was also broadcasting last year but unfortunately stopped. Therefore I cancelled the subscription.
Do many of you guys follow ?

Nice to see you @Elzico2012! I'm looking forward to the racing season getting back up and running again too. It looks like GCN racing have got a lot of the races now (not sure if you know). It's 5000 yen for a one year subscription or 900 yen a month. One caveat is that some races might be blocked depending on your region. I imagine that anything J-sports has that they have will be unavailable on GCN😞

Nice to see you @Elzico2012! I'm looking forward to the racing season getting back up and running again too. It looks like GCN racing have got a lot of the races now (not sure if you know). It's 5000 yen for a one year subscription or 900 yen a month. One caveat is that some races might be blocked depending on your region. I imagine that anything J-sports has that they have will be unavailable on GCN😞

Yes, I was looking at that. Seems to be less dodgy internet streams these days. 900 yen may be a safer bet as a second wave may stop the racing in its tracks again...

Andy

@stu_kawagoe
Nice to see you again. A continuity of last year's thread.
Thanks for the info. I did not know GCN was also broadcasting. 41 races on GCN's calendar for Japan, with all the classics monuments. 900 yen is cheap so I will certainly consider it if the streaming does not work. The next 4 months of racing and watching will be very busy, hoping the covid will not disturb things.

Can't get into the racing this year. Any sport. Bummer, Richie Porte and Jack Haig were a certainty to do a 1-2 in the Tour, too!

@Kangaeroo super rugby Aotearoa has some of the best franchise rugby to be seen anywhere, anytime. Just turn the commentary off.

And those players will be taking on your lot later in the year, if you can all learn to wear a mask and stay the eff home.

@Kangaeroo super rugby Aotearoa has some of the best franchise rugby to be seen anywhere, anytime. Just turn the commentary off.

And those players will be taking on your lot later in the year, if you can all learn to wear a mask and stay the eff home.
Thanks, @kiwisimon! I don't really know the rules of rugby (especially around a Kiwi!), but I might take a look. Glad you think the players will be "taking on" our lot. I would be pleased to see our lot be even mildly competitive. Not really from rugby parts, so not really sure of the rules, but you can't underarm can you?
Incidentally, saw a story today about Richie Porte possibly joining Ineos. Another one the other day about Adam Yates, too. If this continues, gonna have some great cyclists sidelined for marquis events. Froomie uncertain for the Tour. Bloody hell. This is why I am not really keen on the sports this year; most of it appears to be going on merely to please commercial backers.

I didn't hear those stories about Yates and Porte. Ineos were weak in Vuelta last year so it does make sense if they want to win it all in the next few years. To be honest, I don't blame the riders as they can almost maximise their earnings whilst also working for a very well run team.

Wout van Aert got the win in the Strade Bianche. I watched the highlights and it looked pretty routine to me. Good on him!

I didn't hear those stories about Yates and Porte. Ineos were weak in Vuelta last year so it does make sense if they want to win it all in the next few years. To be honest, I don't blame the riders as they can almost maximise their earnings whilst also working for a very well run team.

Wout van Aert got the win in the Strade Bianche. I watched the highlights and it looked pretty routine to me. Good on him!

One of the Yates, I forget which, originally turned down Sky because they wouldn't take his brother. For Porte it would be a homecoming.

Great ride at Strade by VA but this was even better!

Andy

I see the Autumn internationals are off but they're having a tournament with the Northern hemisphere teams plus Japan and Fiji. Personally, I'd like to see Japan alternate between that (or six nations) and the Rugby Championship on a bi-annual basis. Not sure if it would work though.

@stu_kawagoe Alternating is good for Japan maybe but not for anyone else. JRFU needs to commit to something. They helped eff up the super rugby comp by farting around and putting up good players all piecemeal that made games against the Sunwolves really hit and miss. Not sure if that tourney will go ahead yet but Bill Beaumont has to pay off his obligations.

Yep 2020 is the skidmark on the chamois of global sports,

Yates (I think Simon turned down Sky to ride with Adam, @andywood. You posted the article for me maybe last year?)
and
Porte
Can't blame Yatesy, to be honest. Mitchelton-Scott looks a mess at the moment.
I do feel bad that things haven't worked out as expected for Mitchelton-Scott. I watched that Giro and they were excellent until Adam cracked. Simon is the much more exciting rider, so there is that if his brother leaves.

I reckon Simon Yates would be a strong contender for Olympic gold next year based on the course. He's won very hilly stages before as one-off efforts with no team support. I think he would have also gone on to win that abandoned stage that effectively gave Bernal the TdF win last year.

As for the tour teams, the lack of racing means that the ones with deep pockets may be able to pick up other riders on the cheap from the ones who don't. It sounds like some teams were struggling for sponsors even before Covid-19 happened.

Re: GCN this is a list of what you can watch in Japan. Note, no grand tours.

Andy

Re: GCN this is a list of what you can watch in Japan. Note, no grand tours.

Andy

On that page you linked to the Giro is listed in October. Is it on GCN Racing or did I miss something?

Back
Top Bottom