What's new

Race 2020/2021 Cyclocross

SJ1

SJ1
Aug 23, 2009
Just wanted to check if anyone here is planning to race cyclocross this season? I entered a few races but have never tried cyclocross before, so kind of a new challenge for me which is fun...

Just wanted to check if anyone here is planning to race cyclocross this season? I entered a few races but have never tried cyclocross before, so kind of a new challenge for me which is fun...

My plan is:

Oct
11th Shibarako CX, Nagano
25th Ibaraki CX

Nov
22nd Tohoku CX R1 Bandai Kogen, Fukushima
28th Iiyama CX (Including Japan champs), Nagano

Dec
20th Tohoku CX R2 Fukushima Airport

Jan
10th Chiba CX R1, Chiba port park
17th Tohoku CX R3 Zao

Feb
21st Chiba CX R2, Chiba port park

Andy

I also entered Ibaraki for next month, maybe see you there.

But first race will be at Inagi (Tokyo) on 10th Oct. I also entered Chiba for 1st Nov. will see how the first races go and plan any next races from there. Followed the instructions and will be in C4, I assume back of the grid. Am interested to see my progression over the races...

I am doing a little morning practice on the CX training track in Kawasaki (Saiwai-ku). If anyone ever wants to join me please let me know.

I also entered Ibaraki for next month, maybe see you there.

But first race will be at Inagi (Tokyo) on 10th Oct. I also entered Chiba for 1st Nov. will see how the first races go and plan any next races from there. Followed the instructions and will be in C4, I assume back of the grid. Am interested to see my progression over the races...

I am doing a little morning practice on the CX training track in Kawasaki (Saiwai-ku). If anyone ever wants to join me please let me know.

I rode Masters last year. This year I've asked to be bumped up to C2 based on my results on the road last year.

It's gonna be a baptism of fire!

Andy

I'll be doing some but not sure which yet. Done Inagi a few times and it's a nice introduction to the sport. Lots of corners but pretty flat. Technical but not daunting at all. Won't be entering this year as my category has been taken off the schedule but might wander over to watch the fun.

My HR would also have been Z5 (will confirm later), but that was my race plan. 60ppl in C3 and I was back of the grid, then another 50ppl behind me in masters. So I went hard from the line to limit the congestion impact at the technical sections... had no energy left during the last 1/2 of the race but could hang on for 10th. BTW I found the technical sections tricky? I am new to CX but it seemed to me a very technical course?

I was in the Masters A with the Lady's behind me I was on the inside of the first corner and doomed me for the back. there were many backups on the first lap on the big technical parts. As am I new to CX and any racing and sick out here at 91 kilos and 183 cm

I can see you had to hop off the bike a few times, same here. Last week at Ibaraki it was only necessary at the barricades. FYI yesterday I hit Z5 after 5mins and stayed there.

When you guys are talking about zone 5, are you talking anaerobic? That should only be sustainable for 1 to 2 minutes.

What I consider to be zone 4 or 'Threshold' is sustainable for up to an hour.

In my last two CX races of 30 minutes I did 70% zone 4 & 0% zone 5.

Ibaraki CX:

IMG_20201102_221133.jpg
IMG_20201102_221110.jpg
Nagano CX:

IMG_20201102_221016.jpg
IMG_20201102_221037.jpg

Anyway, 30 minutes 'all out' is all that counts!

Good work!

Andy

Well 2020/2021 AJOCC season is now finished. I managed to enter 5 races and I enjoyed it a lot. Vibe was absolutely great, serious races but everyone having fun. Recommend anyone interested to simply participate in a race next season as the discipline is very welcoming to newbies (i.e me 6 months ago!).

What's the story with the training track? Is it open to use?

It is next to Kawasaki Riverside Park Golf Ground, behind the Soccer Grounds. Runs alongside the river. There is no signage. There is a small loop (3min) and a larger (5min) variation of the loop. Runs counter-clockwise. Two local riders take care of it. They rebuilt it after the recent post flooding leveling/cleaning work went through it, but since it is summer the track is not well worn in yet.

Word of warning, Kawasaki banned us from using it late last year. These guys negotiated successfully with the city but now there is a long list of rules… but the main one is that we are not to ride on the adjacent gravel paths or on the soccer side (where the course used to go)… so just be discreet when you approach the track and don't train anywhere except on the track. Be discreet in general when using it. Also if the old Patrol guys hassle you just say ok ok and move on… the Patrol guys don't always seem to know that we are allowed to use it but the instruction from the course guardians is to avoid conflict.

FYI you may know there is also a track at Inagifurther up the river. But last time I went past it looked overgrown…

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom