What's new

Race 2019 race schedule

There's (probably) going to be a crit in Tadami, which isn't all that far from Niigata. At least this time it won't be a drag race on the same road.

There's (probably) going to be a crit in Tadami, which isn't all that far from Niigata. At least this time it won't be a drag race on the same road.

Let us know when you have a link. Crits aren't my thing but if there is a TT I'd be interested.

Easy to get to. Just follow R252 all the way😄

Andy

Let us know when you have a link. Crits aren't my thing but if there is a TT I'd be interested.

Easy to get to. Just follow R252 all the way😄

Andy

The race is actually largely on R252! You could always TT off the front! Haha.

Same TT course as last year I think. First half downhill, second half uphill. First half varies between -4% and flat and the road is quite twisty, though only one or two points that actually require braking, and the surface can be bumpy. Second half is a better and wider road, but gradient varies between 7% and 2%, though the average is only about 3%. This time it looks like the TT comes after the first road race, so that's a big advantage to anyone targeting the TT!

Same TT course as last year I think. First half downhill, second half uphill. First half varies between -4% and flat and the road is quite twisty, though only one or two points that actually require braking, and the surface can be bumpy. Second half is a better and wider road, but gradient varies between 7% and 2%, though the average is only about 3%. This time it looks like the TT comes after the first road race, so that's a big advantage to anyone targeting the TT!

Thanks for the input! I'll give it a think.

Cheers, Andy.

Did Katsurao even have a TT last year? I did it in October but I don't remember there being a TT.

The road race was a BLOOD BATH in the expert division. Only four riders in the individual category actually finished because the cutoff was so tight. I heard it was basically flat out from the first lap. I plan on doing it again once I can get under 190 pounds or so.. it's just too steep to do it at 220 pounds.

This event is separate (though on the same roads) and is a 2-day event.
Day 2 has a road race up that steep climb, but it looks like they recognized the problem of pitting young guns with weekend warriors, and have added a "half course" option for people who want to skip the steep climb.
The TT is on day 1, along with a road race. You might be pleased to know they both miss out the big climb as well.

The TT is one lap of the 11-km course, right? Do you happen to know how much elevation gain there is over one lap?

I remember the downhill / flat finish being the most fun part... even though I finished 13 minutes behind the winner.

Link Tohoku have announced the full series list for the Tour de Fukushima.

_20190204_225500.JPG

I'll do the 15km TT on June 29th if it doesn't clash with Uchinada (yet to be confirmed).

Andy

Just put my entry in for the 11km TT at Katsurao.

I'm guessing this is the course it will take?

Cheers, Andy

I'm guessing this is the course it will take?

Good going! With the big prize pot they're putting in for the series winners, there should be some tough competition on the day. Including Iwashima-san and myself ;)

That's the course. Actually found another video from the same race with all three laps. It shows the downhill section at race pace, and also the final dip down and rise up to the finish line (missing from the above video), that is assuming the finish line is in the same place. Downhill starts at 23:40, finish line at 22:05.

Good going! With the big prize pot they're putting in for the series winners, there should be some tough competition on the day. Including Iwashima-san and myself ;)

That's the course. Actually found another video from the same race with all three laps. It shows the downhill section at race pace, and also the final dip down and rise up to the finish line (missing from the above video), that is assuming the finish line is in the same place. Downhill starts at 23:40, finish line at 22:05.

Cheers!

Yes, I was checking your form yesterday. Looking good! Well fit to your bike.

My teammate was a minute or so behind you. Shame the timing wasn't better as you'd have worked well together.

I also had the pleasure or riding with one of your teammates. Nishitani san? A solid rider. One of a few strong guys amongst a group of showboaters! 😆

Andy

Just talking it through with a friend. And he says it will be run the other way this year.

In which case, looking at your strava profile means it would be more descending and less climbing?

Wish I lived closer so I could check the course.

Guess I can make do with watching that video backwards!

Andy

(I don't think I'd opt for that 裸ん坊-colored outfit...)

I don't think I'd opt for that 裸ん坊-colored outfit

The perils of custom kit. It was meant to be a brown bear. Still wouldn't like to bump into him in the woods.

Just talking it through with a friend. And he says it will be run the other way this year.

Yes, backwards. Also, it's going to be raced as a "longest lap" event, so there will be a 10-minute track stand at the start before the starting gun, on track bikes ;)

And thanks. Good to know my fit is looking correct. I saw you smashing the field to pieces from the front of the 4-hour. Impressive sight, plus crushing the moral of so many guys from the get go probably made the race a lot safer. :D

That must have been Mizutani-san. He's got a triathlon background so good to see him getting some practice in a paceline! He'll be at Katsurao this year too.

And thanks. Good to know my fit is looking correct. I saw you smashing the field to pieces from the front of the 4-hour. Impressive sight, plus crushing the moral of so many guys from the get go probably made the race a lot safer. :D

That must have been Mizutani-san. He's got a triathlon background so good to see him getting some practice in a paceline! He'll be at Katsurao this year too.

I was one of the showboaters! On the front for the home straight to keep the kids entertained!

On the second lap (first real lap) there was a crash right in front of me on the back straight corner before the bridge. After that I went through that corner and the one after the bridge in first place each lap. Not in the mood to crash! I don't have much top end acceleration either so it also means I don't have to do a mini interval or get dropped after each corner.

Looking forward to the TT. Still not watched the video. Anything to look out for? Technical corners? Steep sections?

Cheers, Andy.

Back
Top Bottom