What's new

2019 Pro Tour

That's a pretty impressive list of riders, there.
I reckon French riders are cursed by Hinault stabbing Greg Lemond in the back during the 1986 tour. Maybe they need to do a Shinto-style yakubarai before a French rider can win again?

And Lemond "stabbed" back Fignon in 1989. A nightmare !
We will have Pinot coming back next year.

And Lemond "stabbed" back Fignon in 1989. A nightmare !
We will have Pinot coming back next year.
No! Fignon had only himself to blame...his ponytail created too much resistance (even though the top of his head was pretty aero!) Fignon was incredibly unlucky, though. There was also the Giro where the helicopter flew above him in the time trial, his incredibly untimely demise and, perhaps most unfortunate of all, being forced to wear the Castorama jersey.
I would love to see a French rider win....anybody other than Sky/Ineos, really.

Sorry to butt into the pro tour thread. I don't usually follow races, but been watching Andre Ostanin's progress on the Transcontinental. I'm beyond amazed by what he's doing.

I was actually thinking about the Italian way when writing my previous post. With the mountain stage cancelled the same year for some dubious reasons, ie weather forecast.
As long as the best guy wins in a fair way (no TUE or Overdosed Salbutamol) that's fine.
Ineos as a team is not impressive anymore, at least this year, the performance in the Giro with a young team was also far from the usual standard.
As a French, I also wish a home victory some days and this year was a huge opportunity, but beyond that the performance of Alaphilippe and Pinot really gave back to the Tour a boost, and I am sure many kids are now harassing their parents for a bike.

Yeah, occupying the first two steps of the podium is very unimpressive huh 😂
Well, not the whole team left to lead in the climbs.. They might have done some cost saving on some marginal gains.
Only Bernal and Thomas had the new chain giving them 10 more watts,

Sorry to butt into the pro tour thread. I don't usually follow races, but been watching Andre Ostanin's progress on the Transcontinental. I'm beyond amazed by what he's doing.

He is doing staggeringly well! Amazing!

Lovely circuit for Stage 3 of Tour of Utah this morning. Included a tough a 2.4km climb that really sorted the riders out! Definitely worth a watch of the highlights later - good finish too.

Last edited:
Excellent last stage of the Tour of Utah on Monday morning. They had a tough final climb up Eagle Pass (love the American names!!!) and then a screaming descent into the finish in Park City. Utah is such an awesome location to ride and it's definitely one of my favourite events to watch on the pro tour.

Vuelta starts with the team TT tomorrow morning. First time for me to watch. I was surprised to hear Simon Yates isn't coming back. The bookies have Roglic as the favourite.

Vuelta starts with the team TT tomorrow morning. First time for me to watch. I was surprised to hear Simon Yates isn't coming back. The bookies have Roglic as the favourite.
Yes, not many super GC contenders compared to the previous years. A chance for Valverde to make a podium with the rainbow jersey and youngsters like Pogacar to show what they really have on a Grand Tour. Jumbo brought a strong team to support Roglic but I expect a very open race as often at the Vuelta.
Nice to see that Arashiro is back on a GT and that the incredible T. De Gendt will make his 3rd GT this year. What a cpursier !

Would anyone like to feel inadequate? Apparently, the last stage at the Vuelta was one of the fastest stage races ever — 50 km/h … average over 200 km. One rider averaged 390 W. How is this possible without chemical assistance? And WTH is this guy's FTP?

Would anyone like to feel inadequate? Apparently, the last stage at the Vuelta was one of the fastest stage races ever — 50 km/h … average over 200 km. One rider averaged 390 W. How is this possible without chemical assistance? And WTH is this guy's FTP?

Very strong winds apparently! The kind we get over here!

Where did you get the 390W figure from? Guys in the chase group averaged around 44kph / 240W. This includes Sepp Kuss.

He won srage 15 with a weighted average power of 300W.

Screenshot_20190912-215902.png

Alex Dowsett is a good guy to follow on Strava as he usually uploads all his data. This is his for the last stage of the Tour of Britain.

Screenshot_20190912-220523.png

Andy.

@andywood
road.cc linked to the data of one of the racers. But I hadn't noticed that they selected only a 19-kilometer sliver, sorry about that. (Add to that the misleading subhead …) Sorry about that.

No worries, this is what Sepp Kuss did on two 20 minute climbs on the stage he won:

On stage 15, he averaged 393 watts for twenty minutes on the first climb of the day.

At his weight of 64 kg, that's 6.1 w/kg.

And during his winning attack - after four hours of racing, he produced 397 watts for more than 23 minutes. That's 6.2 w/kg.

So roughly 400 W for 20 minutes. Assuming that's flat out, you can imagine his FTP to be something like:

400 x 0.95 = 380W FTP

Andy

I haven't watched the TT yet but Dennis smashed it by the looks of things. I do like Evanpoel too. Is he still going to do the road race?

Back
Top Bottom