What's new

2019 Annual kmeterage

Elzico2012

Maximum Pace
Jan 29, 2014
Hi,

I was wondering what annual distance you could manage this year ?
As for me, I reached 8924km, +/- kms. My goal was 9000km, but extras in December did not allow for more. Still 1100km more than 2018. The ultimate goal is 10000km, but, without adding 20-30km to each long Sunday's rides and waking up earlier, it won't be possible with my current schedule.
On a regular basis, I can manage two short 45mn home trainer sessions on weekdays, a short-mid 40-50km ride and a long ride , avg 100-130km. Cut between in by personal and professional obligations. And occasionally, a few 🍺and🍷.

Have a good New Year's Eve !

9,619 km in 2019, according to Stravr. That's not a great year for me, although better than 2018 in which I lost three months after shoulder surgery. This year I really had the wind knocked out of my sails after the typhoons, and found it difficult to get motivated to ride. Then I caught some other excuses. I feel that I'm getting my mojo back a bit now.

2019 graph.png

2019 infographic.png

crap year for me, RWC and the associated surge in business and socializing meant my summer was shot. My indoor training area got claimed by a teenager as a bedroom and I basically was a lazy C for much of the year. But I lost a little weight by going to a more plant based diet since Novenber. 2748kms (recorded) for the year. got to ride about 50 days of cycling and a touch of commuting as well. I will do better in 2020.

I'm looking at entering some events and using that as motivation as I had nothing in my calendar last year and was meandering around and just riding .
I also want to do a Tokyo to Aomori ride that I had to cancel last year. I will book Golden Week hotels very soon. I left it too late last year and the 10 days off last encouraged a heap more people to travel North and scoop up all the hotel rooms.

my peak year was 2016, with more than 13,000 km. I was at the top of my form then. I hit a more comfortable 8,500 km in 2017, and am more or less keeping that level (2018 - 7,600km, 2019 - 8,500 km). I'm satisfied with this, and can't really do more for my aerobic exercise. it's mostly commuting, 3-4 times a week on average, and maybe one longer ride every other weekend or so. I guess it all depends on one's goal (and of course availability, not to mention weather, with things like typhoon blocking everything for 2 months etc etc)

EDIT: let me add that all of that is outdoors. stationary riding is not... for me

Last edited:
Just under 4200km (no commuting or indoor cycling included) for me 2019. It's about half of my 2018 figure.
I've got no clue what 2020 will bring. I guess with more time off-road numbers will probably decrease further.
But as long as the fun-level is up, it's all good.

8,675 km in 2018 and 8,710 in 2019, so pretty steady km pace. Upped my tiling game and went from max square of 16 to 28x28 now. Not sure where I'll end up in 2020 but hope to knock out more mountain trails/tiles and stay around the 8,500 km mark next year. May try to do more training vs. just riding. Need to improve my climbing speed.

Had a lot of fun rides off the beaten path this year and did more hike-a-bike stuff. Hard to go back to riding local routes like I used to since I have enjoyed the peace and quiet of the nearly car-less, nature-filled mountain trails so much. I think that 2020 will be the year where I do a lot more bike camping, but who knows.

9,619 km in 2019, according to Stravr. That's not a great year for me, although better than 2018 in which I lost three months after shoulder surgery. This year I really had the wind knocked out of my sails after the typhoons, and found it difficult to get motivated to ride. Then I caught some other excuses. I feel that I'm getting my mojo back a bit now.

View attachment 19309

View attachment 19310
You have the longest total distance among the actual respondents , but I am impressed by your Everest score. Impossible for me in Chiba .

Wrote about my average mileage here. Riding most days regardless of weather!

The usual blog link and cut and paste below.

Cheers, Andy

「averages」

did you get your strava data?

like many people, my annual strava data came through

I did 16,700km last year not including commuting

on average, 1,400km per month, or 350km per week, or 50km per day

years ago, when I was road racing seriously, and it was all logged in scrap books, 2,000km a month or 500km per week was always the target

when I started time trialing 2 years ago, rides became shorter and more intense

lately as I do CX, the rides are even shorter still, 20km a day seems average

so the annual mileage drops

so hours of training, or better still TSS, is a better measure of training for me

730 hours of training last year
on average 2 hours a day

another significant change for me last year was weight training

of those 730 training hours, 95 hours were in the gym

twice a week averaged out over the year

generally speaking, active days is also a good thing to look at

I feel on an average week
6 days active and a rest day is a good average target

so 324 active days (41 rest days) is pleasing

however whatever you do
wherever you are
and regardless of data and averages

staying healthy, injury free and enjoying riding is the most important thing

jumping into 2020!

Wrote about my average mileage here. Riding most days regardless of weather!

The usual blog link and cut and paste below.

Cheers, Andy

「averages」

did you get your strava data?

like many people, my annual strava data came through

I did 16,700km last year not including commuting

on average, 1,400km per month, or 350km per week, or 50km per day

years ago, when I was road racing seriously, and it was all logged in scrap books, 2,000km a month or 500km per week was always the target

when I started time trialing 2 years ago, rides became shorter and more intense

lately as I do CX, the rides are even shorter still, 20km a day seems average

so the annual mileage drops

so hours of training, or better still TSS, is a better measure of training for me

730 hours of training last year
on average 2 hours a day

another significant change for me last year was weight training

of those 730 training hours, 95 hours were in the gym

twice a week averaged out over the year

generally speaking, active days is also a good thing to look at

I feel on an average week
6 days active and a rest day is a good average target

so 324 active days (41 rest days) is pleasing

however whatever you do
wherever you are
and regardless of data and averages

staying healthy, injury free and enjoying riding is the most important thing

jumping into 2020!

Really impressive,

@Elzico2012 , you gave me one of the highlights of my cycling in 2019 when we rode together briefly in the Kawasaki Marine Enduro. You asked me what my tactics were. Of course, I had no bloody idea. But I was utterly thrilled that a serious cyclist was paying me so much undeserved respect, especially as I was riding a foldup bike in the race. You made me feel as proud as punch and it was OK eating your dust as you flew off into the distance. (Helped inspire me to win my category!)

@Kangaeroo

@Elzico2012 , you gave me one of the highlights of my cycling in 2019 when we rode together briefly in the Kawasaki Marine Enduro. You asked me what my tactics were. Of course, I had no bloody idea. But I was utterly thrilled that a serious cyclist was paying me so much undeserved respect, especially as I was riding a foldup bike in the race. You made me feel as proud as punch and it was OK eating your dust as you flew off into the distance. (Helped inspire me to win my category!)

It was a friendly chat at a key and tense moment of the race, when everyone ( maybe not) was on the edge !!!
I am happy I could be your gregario for a while and inspired you in achieving such a success (though my legs were burning and cramping from the morning ride , when you intensively cheered for me )
Actually, I was also impressed by your charismatic folding bike and wanted to have a closer look at it.
Cheers

@Kangaeroo
It was a friendly chat at a key and tense moment of the race, when everyone ( maybe not) was on the edge !!!
I am happy I could be your gregario for a while and inspired you in achieving such a success (though my legs were burning and cramping from the morning ride , when you intensively cheered for me )
Actually, I was also impressed by your charismatic folding bike and wanted to have a closer look at it.
Cheers
It would be almost impossible to imagine such camaraderie on TCC just a few years ago. I'm so happy things are so positive now. Love you guys... 😍

It would be almost impossible to imagine such camaraderie on TCC just a few years ago.
That is inconceivable for me. I've received nothing but positive reinforcement and encouragement from people associated with TCC (and cycling in general), even though I realize I can often be a dick. I'm deeply grateful to everyone on TCC.

6883 km, the least since I joined Strava in January 2012. My annual total has been falling steadily since 2015 when it peaked above 10,000 km, but that's primarily because I've been doing fewer and fewer short rides of less than 50 km.

I used to do short but fast training rides to try and get faster. Now I just ride long rides to see views and clear my head, away from work and the computer. I also spend more of these rides in the company of others.

It would be almost impossible to imagine such camaraderie on TCC just a few years ago. I'm so happy things are so positive now. Love you guys... 😍
Same here. I was absent from the forum for a few years but was pleasantly surprised about the gentle atmosphere when I came back. Thank you, @thomas and the members!

Back
Top Bottom